Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Trenix

Remove Gold Pan

16 posts in this topic

Why can't we just use the ceramic bowl as a gold pan instead of having to turn the ceramic bowl into a gold pan? It's just an extra step that serves no purpose. After using a bowl to search for ore all day, I don't get why I can't just end up using it for a salad. This actually confused me as a new player, who would of guessed that it was made out of a ceramic bowl?

Everyone? How did you know that panning was even an option? When you learn that panning exists you will invariably learn about gold pans, the very tool that makes panning possible.

You could perhaps also discover by accident that you can craft a gold pan by putting a bowl in the crafting grid.

It makes sense not to clutter up the code for a single item with completely differing task possibilities. And does it really take that much effort to click three times?

In my opinion this is a total waste of time. It benefits no one and provides no measurable improvement in game play, it just sucks away time that would be better spent implementing new mechanics such as body temperature.

I'm going to have to agree with Hector49er on this one. This will not be implemented.

But this is the equivalent to converting an axe from a tool to a weapon. There is no need for this process, an axe should be both a tool and a weapon. Why would I need to covert it into a weapon when it already can be considered a weapon? It's the same with a ceramic bowl, while you can now call it a gold pan, it's still ultimately a ceramic bowl since that's what it's made out of. The only problem is, you can't convert it back into a ceramic bowl. So now the tool has became a waste of resource during mid-game because of a concept that really doesn't make any sense. Aside from that, pans are containers that are made out of metal, they're not ceramic. You can even see the icon change from being ceramic into becoming a metal, it's just really confusing and makes little sense, for what reason? What kind of sorcery is this?

You know.... I don't know about you, but I don't think I would like to eat from a bowl that I've been dumping sand and gravel into.

Plus, a salad bowl and gold-panning bowl are different. A salad bowl will not make a very good gold pan.

Gold pans need a way to trap the heavy ore bits while you swish it around in the water. A salad bowl doesn't. Just pretend you I dunno, mold a bowl that has already been fired.

Also, this is a gold pan, not a frying pan. They can be made of ceramic, and they can also be made of wood. Or plastic. Or anything really.

And I never saw the gold pan as a metal, just a darker color of ceramic.

as axes, shovels, and other tools already had a damage stat from vanilla MC it wasn't hard for the tool to have that duel use (tool/weapon) without the extra effort of having the devs do it, they only tweeked it. For the bowls tho. Clay bowls break as you make food while turning a clay bowl into a gold pan now makes it a different item that doesn't break and is used in a different way. It would really suck if your gold pan broke while trying to find ores as you get farther away from home as you overwork an area. I like the mechanic as is. I make 1 gold pan and as long as i don't die with it or lose it I'm good.

You know.... I don't know about you, but I don't think I would like to eat from a bowl that I've been dumping sand and gravel into.

Plus, a salad bowl and gold-panning bowl are different. A salad bowl will not make a very good gold pan.

I would, it's how you save resources and people aren't very sanitary in survival situation anyway. Nor where they sanitary during the time when people were creating settlements in the new world. How would you know if a salad bowl wouldn't be good to use as a gold pan, it's practically the same thing.

Gold pans need a way to trap the heavy ore bits while you swish it around in the water. A salad bowl doesn't. Just pretend you I dunno, mold a bowl that has already been fired.

Why can't a ceramic bowl do the same? That's the purpose of the gravel/sand. 

Also, this is a gold pan, not a frying pan. They can be made of ceramic, and they can also be made of wood. Or plastic. Or anything really.

And I never saw the gold pan as a metal, just a darker color of ceramic.

The word pan basically says that the object is made out of metal. If I were to ask someone to get me a pan, they're not going going to hand me a ceramic bowl.

The word pan basically says that the object is made out of metal.

Last I checked, "pan" meant "many", not "metal". Besides, most gold pans these days are made of plastic. Also, more and more cooking pans are now made of ceramics (and crushed diamonds).

The word pan basically says that the object is made out of metal.

Last I checked, "pan" meant "many", not "metal". Besides, most gold pans these days are made of plastic. Also, more and more cooking pans are now made of ceramics (and crushed diamonds).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pan?s=t

At the very least, allow us to covert the gold pan back to a ceramic bowl via crafting.

How would you know if a salad bowl wouldn't be good to use as a gold pan, it's practically the same thing.

Because I used a gold pan before, and I also have a salad bowl, and I assure you, if I tried to use my salad bowl, I would not have nearly as good results

Why can't a ceramic bowl do the same? That's the purpose of the gravel/sand.

Gold pans tend to have grooves/bumps inside, so when you scoop up gravel/sand and swish it around, the heavy ores fall downwards, and get caught between the grooves/bumps, while the lighter sand and gravel bits don't(well, mostly don't, tiny bits and extra-heavy bits do get stuck along with the ore).

You pan for gold by scooping up a large amount of sand/gravel with some water, swishing it around in the pan with the pan out of the water, then swish it through the water washing out the sand/gravel/etc while the ore stuck in the grooves stay in the pan, while the majority of the sand/gravel washes out, leaving you with ores in some sand and gravel, which is a lot easier to pick out than ores in a plateful of gravel.

If I used a smooth ceramic bowl, unless I'm very skilled, I have a large chance to accidentally let the ores fall out of my pan while I swish it through the water to get rid of the extra sand/gravel that I don't want, ending up with a empty pan.

The sand/gravel is not there to trap the ore bits and such, they are only there because the ore bits are somewhere among the gravel/sand, and you can't be bothered to examine every grain of sand/gravel looking for the ore. They serve no purpose other then to be separated from the ore, then dumped out

Frankly, I would prefer it if you had to mold clay in a different way to get a gold pan, or at least craft the unfired bowl, because really, it's not really believable to be able to do something with a fired ceramic bowl.

At the very least, allow us to covert the gold pan back to a ceramic bowl via crafting.

It is equivalent of 1.25 clay, 2 straw, 2 logs and a fraction of a fire starter/flint and steel. Do you really think it is worth the time of putting that code into the game? Hell it isn't even worth the time spent on the posts in this thread as in the time you took to post what you have you could have easily crafted a huge number of bowls.

I go panning along the columbia river and it's mouth, across the river from Astoria where I live. We don't turn out much but I can safely say using a salad bowl is not recommended over using a bowl specifically suited for panning. I must agree with everyone else, this thread was a waste of time.