Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AHrubik

Maize/Sugarcane question.

12 posts in this topic

What is the minimum temperature to plant and maintain a Maize/Sugarcane crop. I'm currently living above -14000 and it's April. I'm wondering if I can eventually cultivate a Maize/Sugarcane crop or if I'm going to have to build a farm further south to do it.

Maize requires a temperature of 0 to stay alive, and 8 to grow.

Sugarcane requires a temperature of 12 to stay alive, and 18 to grow.

Maize requires a temperature of 0 to stay alive, and 8 to grow.

Sugarcane requires a temperature of 12 to stay alive, and 18 to grow.

Is there a master list for these somewhere yet? This is kind of important to know.

Is there a cap ? A temp at which plants die due to too much sun ?

Some of the individual crop pages on the wiki have this information, but there is no master list that will provide you with all of the numbers. This is intentional, as knowing all of the numbers behind the scenes is not something you can un-learn, and ruins gameplay for many players. 

The agriculture page, while slightly outdated, does have enough information about the crops in the Hardy section of the table that you can figure out for yourself, since the system in place is actually fairly simple.

Either the box says No, meaning that the crop will die below freezing temperatures (0), the box says Yes, meaning the crop will not die below freezing temperatures if the crop was still in the first stage of growth when the frost hit, or the crop says No, and has a reference number next to it, which below the chart states that the crop is extra sensitive to the cold, and states the warmer temp which will kill it.

knowing all of the numbers behind the scenes is not something you can un-learn, and ruins gameplay for many players.

I see. Shouldn't the burden be on those people to not lookup what they don't want to know and not on the players who would rather not spend hours in tedium trying to figure it out.

Once you see something, you can't unsee it. Oh, you can pretend that you saw something else, and try to convince yourself you don't remember what you saw, but you're only kidding yourself. If I took one glance at the aggriculture page and it listed all the temperatures, I'd know a great majority of them. I won't be looking for the temperates, perhaps wanting to see what kind of plants there are, and BOOM, there are the numbers. The problem with placing the burden on people to NOT look at something is that people don't know what to expect until it's too late. I like that Kitty and the rest of the wiki editors keep the information off the wiki, because I love figuring it out for myself.

In addition to what Hubertus said, TFC is open source. There is absolutely no reason to spend hours in tedium trying to figure a mechanic out. Either look it up in the code yourself, or come join us in IRC and ask for a link to the code that has the information you are looking for.

ask for a link to the code that has the information

Don't take this the wrong way because I appreciate you (all) being available but I was under the impression this is what wikis are designed to avoid. What about adding a specific section to the wiki that contains more detailed information that has a simple "I understand" gateway requiring a click to view?

Bioxx decided from the very start that the TFC wiki is designed to be a guide to point players in the correct direction. It is not a "cheat sheet" to tell you anything and everything down to the itty bitty details. In most cases, the people who want the numbers and exact detailings of every tiny bit of a mechanic are min/maxers, that have a play style that often ruins gameplay for any other players they are playing with. By intentionally making it difficult for min/maxers to get the information they want/need to play that way, it discourages the behavior.

TFC is a game. It is meant to be played and enjoyed. There is a sense of exploration and excitement in figuring out things for yourself. It was not created to be analyzed to the point of "what is the most efficient way that I can complete this?"

I'm on board with the philosophy Kitty is describing. I like how in my first few seasons, I lost my crops in late spring because of a cold snap and I had to plant them all again. Then I lost some of the less hardy ones in the fall before I could harvest them. If I had starved that winter, it would have sucked, but I was fine and I had to start over the following year with what I had learned. It's the kind of "tough love" experience that enriches the game in the way it was meant to.

Actually, along those lines, it feels cheaty to be checking F3 for the temperature. [Goes to "Suggestions" section to see if in-game thermometer has been proposed.]

I'm on board with the philosophy Kitty is describing. I like how in my first few seasons, I lost my crops in late spring because of a cold snap and I had to plant them all again. Then I lost some of the less hardy ones in the fall before I could harvest them. If I had starved that winter, it would have sucked, but I was fine and I had to start over the following year with what I had learned. It's the kind of "tough love" experience that enriches the game in the way it was meant to.Actually, along those lines, it feels cheaty to be checking F3 for the temperature. [Goes to "Suggestions" section to see if in-game thermometer has been proposed.]

I agree! I too lost quite a bunch of crops to the cold, and one little experience richer, I will things do a little differently next year ;)As for thermometers, I think they are a little out of range in my opinion.I don't feel using F3 is all too cheaty, until body temperature comes into play with possible other temperature indicators. After all, in the real world you can judge temperatures with your bodily senses to a degree, and since that's missing in a game, using F3 seems just fine for the time being :)