Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

Body Temperature Tolerance Build Up

12 posts in this topic

I have read a lot about body temperature and that it will soon be implemented. One of the things that get me concerned about the concept is to have Uninhabitable Latitudes in the world.

Human beings are resilient and adaptable. Is one of the main reasons we have survived this long and are spread all over, from pole to pole.

One example of what I am trying here is me and my brother. Some years ago he moved to Utah and and got acclimated to the cold. Now whenever he comes visit me here in Florida he suffers from the Heat. In return I have a really hard time with cold and absolute hate Snow.

My proposal is that at first Spawn the player would automatically be adapted to whatever weather  is in that place. As he travel North or south the player would have to get adapted to the cold or hot . Please understand that no mater how adapted you are to cold you are not going naked in snow. 

Also you have to remember that the people living in the equatorial jungles don't die of heat stroke, The tourists are the ones that cant stop complaining about the heat. 

I have read a lot about body temperature and that it will soon be implemented. One of the things that get me concerned about the concept is to have Uninhabitable Latitudes in the world.

Human beans are resilient and adaptable. Is one of the main reasons we have survived this long and are spread all over, from pole to pole.

One example of what I am trying here is me and my brother. Some years ago he moved to Utah and and got acclimated to the cold. Now whenever he comes visit me here in Florida he suffers from the Heat. In return I have a really hard time with cold and absolute hate Snow.

My proposal is that at first Spawn the player would automatically be adapted to whatever weather  is in that place. As he travel North or south the player would have to get adapted to the cold or hot . Please understand that no mater how adapted you are to cold you are not going naked in snow. 

Also you have to remember that the people living in the equatorial jungles don't die of heat stroke, The tourists are the ones that cant stop complaining about the heat. 

Human beans are resilient and adaptable. Is one of the main reasons we have survived this long and are spread all over, from pole to pole.

Human beans

Posted Image

I do agree that there should be some measure of adaptability, but there should definitely be a limit to how cold you can go.

Some of the ability to deal with extreme environments is evolutionary, some is adaptation (acclimatization), but a lot is behaviour. People who live in equatorial jungles don't tend to die of heat stroke because they aren't stupid. I lived a long time in Australia and when visitors came they would not follow our advise and stay indoors during heat of the day. They got burnt and sunstroke due to this, where as I, same genetics.

I'd personally rather not have inbuilt temperature preferences. The range of latitude players spawn in during summer is pretty survivable for first 4 months or so. During that time you would have to prepare for winter or flee. I'd also say the temperature mechanism should probably wait until fantasy monsters are underground, since a good strategy for dealing with the high heat would be to work more in the dawn and dusk.

I take exception to the claim that the ability to survive in differing environments is evolutionary. There is a big difference evolution and adaptation. Random genetic mutations as are required by evolutionary theory tend to have a negative effect on organisms rather than a positive one.

Think for a moment of a rather complex piece of technology a shortwave radio. Does jabbing a stick into it repeatedly tend to make it function better or worse? Even the simplest forms of life are exponentially more complex than a radio.

Studies with fruit flies (chosen for their rapid reproduction allowing many generations to be studied in a short period of time) for instance show that when random mutations are induced and some are passed on to their offspring that the mutations self correct in a few generations. Rather than having a cumulative effect they are rapidly canceled out and "normal" fruit flies are the result.

I take exception to claims that are made with no supporting evidence. Enough about this.

I agree that behavior is a large factor. I also agree that adaptation/acclimatization also has an important role.

For instance, when you move from a colder climate to a warmer climate, after a few weeks your body will begin to grow a vast network of capillaries close to the surface of the skin. These increase the efficiency of your body's cooling system. When you move back to a cold climate those capillaries are blocked off and reabsorbed, increasing your body's ability to retain heat.

I also agree that inbuilt temperature preferences would likely over complicate matters with little return for the effort required to implement/tweak them to work acceptably.

I'd personally rather not have inbuilt temperature preferences. The range of latitude players spawn in during summer is pretty survivable for first 4 months or so. During that time you would have to prepare for winter or flee. I'd also say the temperature mechanism should probably wait until fantasy monsters are underground, since a good strategy for dealing with the high heat would be to work more in the dawn and dusk.

The idea is not to have you adapted to the summer temperatures, but to the overall temperatures of that place. So if you spawn way up north is like you were born a Canadian, as opposed to be born a black African with a dark skin adapted to heat. Even though I think we should be able to slowly build up this tolerance, either to cold or heat. If you think about, we do have a large white population in Australia and a lot of Black people in North States of North America.

I just want to find ways for the devs to make it possible for players to live in a bigger part of the map. Sometimes I Have the impression that they have this ideal climate in their heads  and make the mod reflect that.

Just think of fruit trees, right now they will not give fruits if planted to close to the equator. In reality that's where we have most fruits.

I wish to expose the concept that we are able to adapt, survive and after some time we even like the weather of the place where we live.

People really enjoy snow. An idea revolting to my nature. But I understand it intellectually. In reverse people living in the equator enjoy the hot sun.

Again, even Canadians avoid swimming naked in the frozen lakes, and the people in the equator avoid the hot sun of mid day, but not to extremes. More people die of cold them of heat stroke.

Body temperature won't be implemented until after canoes and clothing.

You can of course still discuss the topic now, but I'm doubting it will be implemented soonTM

I just want to find ways for the devs to make it possible for players to live in a bigger part of the map. Sometimes I Have the impression that they have this ideal climate in their heads  and make the mod reflect that. Just think of fruit trees, right now they will not give fruits if planted to close to the equator. In reality that's where we have most fruits.

The problem here is that you are forgetting the concept that TFC temperatures and latitudes are based off of continental regions that have no coastal influence. The fruit trees in reality that are close to the equator in real life are in climates that are a bit cooler and wetter than the dry desert plains you see in areas much farther away from an ocean. Because it would be extremely difficult to try and replicate the weather system in real life that is affected by the ocean and coastal winds, you can instead assume that those real-life equatorial lush areas that grow fruit are represented by latitudes in TFC that are further from the equator, and that the equator in TFC is the equivalent of the sahara desert, extremely hot, and extremely dry. Do not try to tell me that fruit trees are abundant in those kind of regions, because they obviously are not.

@hector49er

I was trying emphasize that behaviour has the largest influence on humans ability to survive in such a wide range of environments. Adaptation does occur in individuals, but how is still largely unknown. Easy example is producing more red blood cells/haemoglobin at high altitudes.

However genetics still do have an influence. Humans are remarkably similar. In modern times the advantages of most genetic profiles has largely been negated my technology. However historically they did matter. Melanin protects our skin from the sun, but also reduces our ability to make Vit D. The reduction of melanin in skin allowed greater Vit D production in northern latitudes where the sun is weaker, since the pressure of protection was less. This along with behavioural (clothing, diet, etc.) changes allowed humans to move into Europe. Body habitous changes are also seen due to evolutionary pressure.

I think that the modelling of genetic influence on this stuff is too complex and ultimately trivial to invest time into coding. I'd would like to see a mechanism that allowed players to deal with their environment better the longer they are in it. I can think of some straight forward methods of doing this. But I don't think players should spawn with this. Spawn and death should set temperature, humidity, etc. tolerance to neutral.

PS I'm not just parroting genetic stuff. It is what I have my doctorate in.

@hector49erI was trying emphasize that behaviour has the largest influence on humans ability to survive in such a wide range of environments. Adaptation does occur in individuals, but how is still largely unknown. Easy example is producing more red blood cells/haemoglobin at high altitudes.However genetics still do have an influence. Humans are remarkably similar. In modern times the advantages of most genetic profiles has largely been negated my technology. However historically they did matter. Melanin protects our skin from the sun, but also reduces our ability to make Vit D. The reduction of melanin in skin allowed greater Vit D production in northern latitudes where the sun is weaker, since the pressure of protection was less. This along with behavioural (clothing, diet, etc.) changes allowed humans to move into Europe. Body habitous changes are also seen due to evolutionary pressure.I think that the modelling of genetic influence on this stuff is too complex and ultimately trivial to invest time into coding. I'd would like to see a mechanism that allowed players to deal with their environment better the longer they are in it. I can think of some straight forward methods of doing this. But I don't think players should spawn with this. Spawn and death should set temperature, humidity, etc. tolerance to neutral.PS I'm not just parroting genetic stuff. It is what I have my doctorate in.

Agreed, behavior is the greatest factor.

Good grief. The OP is a fantastic suggestion. All the talk of genetics and fancy science, while interesting does not negate the fact that over months and years, anyone's body can adapt to a slightly higher or lower average temperature. I live in Canada, when it's 10 degrees centigrade I go outside in a t-shirt. If I moved to Hawaii for 3 years then came back to Canada I would NOT be going outside in a t-shirt in 10 degrees. A limit to how much a player can acclimatize is certainly needed if this was added but this suggestion is great. I would also like to see a similar mechanic in place for elevation. Players who spend lots of time at the tops of mountains should have an additional resilience to the cold (since air pressure is not a thing in TFC we can just use a boost to cold tolerance above the limit in adaptation to the z coordinate) 

Yes, behavior is ultimately the biggest factor but I think this mechanic would compliment behavior very well.

The problem here is that you are forgetting the concept that TFC temperatures and latitudes are based off of continental regions that have no coastal influence. The fruit trees in reality that are close to the equator in real life are in climates that are a bit cooler and wetter than the dry desert plains you see in areas much farther away from an ocean. Because it would be extremely difficult to try and replicate the weather system in real life that is affected by the ocean and coastal winds, you can instead assume that those real-life equatorial lush areas that grow fruit are represented by latitudes in TFC that are further from the equator, and that the equator in TFC is the equivalent of the sahara desert, extremely hot, and extremely dry. Do not try to tell me that fruit trees are abundant in those kind of regions, because they obviously are not.

Thanks for the explanation kitty.

What I am trying to propose is a way to not have a large portion of the map just deemed uninhabitable. I should remind people that a large population actually lives in desert climates. We really do need to have weather based on biomes and not just on latitudes, Otherwise we will end up having a huge portion of the world map just wasted.

So instead I propose that It should take 1 or 2 years but that the player should be able to adapt to the cold or heat of the place. Like I said Is not a full adaptation when it nullifies clothing, is just easing up a bit, enough so people are able to mimic what we have in real life, where we have Eskimos living in the Ice, and Bedouins living in the deep desert. Now the Eskimos still need to use layers of clothing, and the Bedouins know how to survive there. 

I do like this idea, and I do agree that it shouldn't overpower the need for other things like clothing. Like Maga mentioned you can really notice this effect in Canada(and other places I'm sure), +5 in fall and I'm all bundled up and cold,-5 in spring and I have my jacket open and I'm sweating.