Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
lipki

TFC 1.8 ?

20 posts in this topic

Is it planned to spend TFC in version 1.8?Forge apparently come out, but I think it will take a lot of work.

Why do you say that ? Forge will most likely do most of the conversion for you, API-calls will most likely not change so...

No it will not, forge adapts to vanilla code, and vanilla code has changed so much(again) that it's looking more like a rewrite then an update, at this point.

Help me understand this, im not much into MC coding but i am a java/android dev.

Does mojang give a damn about legacy code ? Cause, usually method bodys may change but the method contracts stay the same unless you really do a complete rewrite which seems... crazy

Not sure there's really any hurry/point to updating. What exactly would be gained? Other than banners and rabbits, we either already have the content or wouldn't never have access to it in survival anyway. Sure, there's a couple game modes, some commands, and a different skin model, but those are hardly worth the effort.

Build 80 ideally will focus primarily on porting to 1.8 and nothing else to get it out as soon as possible.

@Hubertus 1.8 Made a whole bunch of changes regarding optimization and multithreading so that Minecraft runs waaaay better than it does in 1.7

Build 80 ideally will focus primarily on porting to 1.8 and nothing else to get it out as soon as possible.

@Hubertus 1.8 Made a whole bunch of changes regarding optimization and multithreading so that Minecraft runs waaaay better than it does in 1.7

#PeasantComputerProblems

#PeasantComputerProblems

#PotatoComputerProblems FTFY

That's all i wish for.

I would appreciate an answer tho

I would appreciate an answer tho

Mojang doesn't care about legacy code, and does complete rewrites.

Ok...

but mainly thats ugly for forge, if forge cares about legacy, modders wont have to do much ?!

That's honestly pretty much never the case. Nearly every single major Minecraft update results in a lot of rewrites for mods.

That's what I'm looking forward to.  There's always been really bad lag generating new terrain, which 1.8 fixes.  But, the problem is, I'm not looking forward to abandoning current worlds in order to upgrade, which was necessary with 78 -> 79.  Is that going to be necessary again with 80?  It should go without saying that many  people have invested months of work into current worlds and if it's not possible to upgrade and keep it, it all seems like a gigantic waste of time.  Well yes, that's what games are, but note that it's always been possible to upgrade vanilla worlds, and have new features available just by walking to new terrain further away.

That's what I'm looking forward to.  There's always been really bad lag generating new terrain, which 1.8 fixes.  But, the problem is, I'm not looking forward to abandoning current worlds in order to upgrade, which was necessary with 78 -> 79.  Is that going to be necessary again with 80?  It should go without saying that many  people have invested months of work into current worlds and if it's not possible to upgrade and keep it, it all seems like a gigantic waste of time.  Well yes, that's what games are, but note that it's always been possible to upgrade vanilla worlds, and have new features available just by walking to new terrain further away.

TFC's policy has always been you must generate new worlds for new builds. It is much harder for modded worlds to persist across versions because of how forge and mcp works. Please also keep in mind that TFC is still in beta.

I still need to brush up on my java skill, would it be worth it to wait for the 1.8 support before making an addon? I heard people say before "Don't bother with 1.6, so much is changing with 1.7" does the same apply here? Either way I still need to practice my java and get more ideas finalized.  :o

I still need to brush up on my java skill, would it be worth it to wait for the 1.8 support before making an addon? I heard people say before "Don't bother with 1.6, so much is changing with 1.7" does the same apply here? Either way I still need to practice my java and get more ideas finalized.  :o

I would say the same applies here, but I would still very strongly recommend you practice on 1.7, because it looks like things get pretty weird in 1.8

Forge 1.8 is still in early beta, many things will be added, removed, changed and what not. So if you want to learn and/or practice, i would say go with 1.7, but keep in mind that you will need to learn a lot of new things when you switch to 1.8, and many things will not be the same as in 1.7.