Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xen

What are you reading?

11 posts in this topic

Well just watched Drunk Kitty ep 50 and it made me want to talk books so here it is.  I'm not going to do a plot summary or personal review just a very basic love it or hate it.

Last book I read was The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga I know it's been out since 2012 but only just got around to it and unfortunately I was totally disappointed too.  I'm not saying it was terrible and to not read it but for me I had expected more. (First mistake -_- ) Read the graphic novels up to vol. 15-ish when I stopped.  Basically someone died and it was a "Annnnnnd I'm done." moment.

Last book I read and loved Ready Player One by Ernest Cline I think it's a very niche book but anyone who plays video games can enjoy it.

Currently reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.   I noticed Netflix had it but decided to read it first and it's been sitting on my shelf for a while.  Though b79 has been taking up my free time really need to sit down and get passed chapter 1. lol

Recommendation

This is mostly directed at Kitty but anyone who enjoys a good horror story check out author Joe Hill  if you haven't already.  He's mostly known for Horns at this point due to the movie but you probably couldn't go wrong reading any of his books.  Little bit of additional information he's also Stephen Kings son.

(I scanned the first 5 pages for a similar topic, didn't see any so hopefully I've not gone blind)

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely need some new books for my next trip home for the holidays. :)

Regarding books one of the best series I've ever read is "Dune" by Frank Herbert.

Also I highly recommend Ender's Gane bt Orson Scott Card, book of my childhood ^^

And if you could get your hands on Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski, I advise you to try. They seem like adventure low fantasy, and then they become really deep (frm what I've heard the translations are pretty nice).

I would suggest the Foreigner series by CJ Cherryh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreigner_universe

It pretty good science fiction leaning towards politics and just a touch military.

I would also suggest the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen#The_Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen_Series

Its like Game of Thrones - but much better in my opinion. These books just drop you into a fantasy world, with very little explanation, so if you cannot keep track of details as you are reading or have a dislike for longer books, you will not like these.

I'm currently reading All Quiet on the Western Front for school, but I do immensely enjoy it. If you want to read a believable war story about the human condition and its horrors, then I think this is the book for you.

I have read The Hobbit, but I'm still working on the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Still need to read the Silmarillion, however.

I've read Hatchet and one American Civil War novella I can't remember, but they're both by Gary Paulsen.

I leave it at that for now, because I really don't want to extend this further than necessary, :P.

The two series that I have read and reread countless times is the Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov and HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. They are well known for good reason. A nice introduction to Asimov's work is the short story The Last Question.

More unknown is Guy Gavriel Kay. Fantasy author who uses historical events. I haven't read his last 2 books yet, but the two before that were less impressive than his earlier work. He is also one of the few male fantasy writers who can write strong female characters.

I've read all the lord of the rings book and the hobbit, and found it seriously annoying. Drags on and on and on and half the time the characters act really dumb. Also watched all the movies, and I must say I prefer the movies over the books.... mostly

Read the inheritance cycle a couple times over, and also read department 19 series.

Read the age of fire series, and bits and pieces of the song of ice and fire.

Also read animal farm, 1984, and a brave new world.

Plus more.

Recently finished the blood of olympus.

Read Lorien Legacies series, Tunnels series(except Closer and Terminal), The Footprints of God, Waking Lazarus, the first quarter of The Hunger Games, and there's this book called Adventure Survival Handbook by Bob Holtzman which is where I know how to make TFC firestarter.

Otherland series by Tad Williams. Near future where you literally plug your brain in to the Internet and participate in a virtual world where everything feels real.  Mysteriously,. children who are connected begin to go into comas.  One man suspects a conspiracy among the worlds richest and logs in to investigate.

Very interesting in it's predictions of what the future of social interaction might be like.  The next step to a global consciousness?

I'm reading the book Terms of Enlistment, It's a cool science fiction series.