Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peffern

Animal Feeding Trough

9 posts in this topic

Suppose you had a big field filled with livestock. It would be a bit of a pain to go out and feed each individual one every day. What if there was a feeding trough that you could fill with grain once a day, and the animals would pathfind to it and eat it? It doesn't seem like it would be hard to implement, and it would help with the monotony of raising animal familiarity.

Never thought of this idea, but think if it could be put in would be awesome!

I would like that. It would also be nice if you could also fill it with grass or straw so the animals would eat that instead of the grass in the pen, I've had it where my sheep ate all the grass and stopped growing wool, if I had a trough then I wouldn't have had to move them.

But then they would be familiarized with the Trough...

In my opinion a trough defeats the object of familiarization because there is no interaction with the animals. How do they magically like you more from eating from a trough? Did you sit them all down and have a heart to heart (OMG puns today) conversation explaining where the food comes from and that you have their best interest in mind?

I am not opposed to the idea of a Trough for feeding animals, merely that the Trough should NOT familiarize them.

Perhaps rather than trying to tame an entire heard of Buffalo you should just try working with a few at a time? Then perhaps breed the tamed ones until you have your desired herd size. 

Ropes are also nice to use to keep your animals from roaming too far o jumbling up when you are managing them.

A trough is something that dunk and I have discussed in the past. I think we agreed that we want something like that but there are a whole host of other issues that have to be taken into account that you don't normally think of. So we'll see what happens.

I think a trough could be used if animals had hunger. So if they have to eat everyday then we need some kind of easy way to feed. Another option that I like is to have cows and horses eat grass, the same way sheep does. It makes  believable, with a code that already exists.

One way to add animal hunger without the risk of  loosing all your animals would be  to have animals never dying of hunger, but just stop producing goods. It's believable, because a hungry cow will not give milk, a skinny pig has no meat and you cannot ride a weak horse. The whole familiarity mechanic works the same way it does now, 

I think a trough could be used if animals had hunger. So if they have to eat everyday then we need some kind of easy way to feed. Another option that I like is to have cows and horses eat grass, the same way sheep does. It makes  believable, with a code that already exists.

One way to add animal hunger without the risk of  loosing all your animals would be  to have animals never dying of hunger, but just stop producing goods. It's believable, because a hungry cow will not give milk, a skinny pig has no meat and you cannot ride a weak horse. The whole familiarity mechanic works the same way it does now, 

I believe animals already have a sort of hunger system. I seem to recall that animals would eat grass and regenerate health if they were injured. I also  think that there were accounts of people's animals starving to death, perhaps? I know there were discussions regarding how much land it takes to feed X number of type Y livestock. If I can find evidence to my point I will edit in a link.

Ohh ya I like Djakuta's idea, make animal hunger important but not devastating.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0