Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Red3Tango

Some things about Donkey/Mules

13 posts in this topic

Wasnt sure if this should go in discussion or in support, or be split into several topics.

First is that it does not look like it is possible to breed a Mule, as the breed of the foal (baby) is the same as the mother. I may be wrong with this, but I have breed 20 horses and 20 donkeys (with the opposite male) and has been the case every time. Not sure if there is anything that can be done with the TFC code in order to "fix" this because of the added gender mechanics.

Second, while running the tests above, I also noticed that the texture of the foal is always the same as the mother. This is something else I believe would be a nice "fix"/feature that it would randomize the texture as it does in vanilla.

Third, you are able to put a chest (any type) onto a donkey. When the donkey is killed it will drop a vanilla chest. This could possibly be considered an exploit, as with vanilla chests you can place any item in it and not have to worry about size of the item.

So I guess my 'suggestions' would be about the ability to breed mules, and also a random texture when you breed a horse. I can make a formal bug report of the chest if that would be advised.

EDIT: I have put these into topics in the support thread now.

As chest issue is definiatelly a bug, please make a bug report for it. In fact I'd say this whole topic fits in support section better, but you'd have to chop it into 2 or 3 topics.

Why would I want a mule? Please explain beyond, "they should be implemented because they are possible IRL".

Also, Mules are sterile due to not having a complete set of chromosomes. e.g. You must have a continuous supply of breeding stock of BOTH Donkeys and Horses to have a constant supply of mules. I personally would not want to waste time / resources breeding an animal that is merely a Half-Ass-Horse (haha, was wanting to say that) with no chance of further breeding unless there were some definite benefits.

Well I am guessing that the reason for not having mules is the same thing that causes the bug with all foals being the same breed/texture as the mother. I don't want it implemented just because its possible IRL, but that its possibly by the game code (is a vanilla feature as well). It really just gives us more options for having a world we want to play in. I personally like Mules in MC because they can have saddlebags and I like the color better ;)

So even if it was setup that the texture for a "mule" would just be an alternate texture for a donkey, that would still make me happy.

Well I am guessing that the reason for not having mules is the same thing that causes the bug with all foals being the same breed/texture as the mother. I don't want it implemented just because its possible IRL, but that its possibly by the game code (is a vanilla feature as well). It really just gives us more options for having a world we want to play in. I personally like Mules in MC because they can have saddlebags and I like the color better ;)

So even if it was setup that the texture for a "mule" would just be an alternate texture for a donkey, that would still make me happy.

Oh, Mules are in Vanilla? It has been so long since I have seriously played Vanilla that I seem to have lost touch with fantasy.(as opposed to reality) If horses and donkeys are the same in Vanilla as TFC than it only makes sense that Mules would be possible too. From the Vanilla Wiki it appears that mules are just re-skinned donkeys that can not breed.

Question, can you put a saddle OR a chest on donkeys in TFC? If they are the same as Vanilla then you can, if not then they have been tweaked somewhat. If it were the case that Donkey = pack only and Horse = ride only than mules as a versatile pack or ride option would make sense.

Horses and donkeys behavior is vanilla, the only change is familiarity and breeding.

In vanilla horses can have saddles and armor, donkeys/mules can have saddles and chest.

In TFC horses can have saddles, and donkeys can have saddles and chest.

I do like the idea of having it so mules cant be ridden, but a mule could be. This functionality may be to difficult to implement though.

I think mules in vanilla are overall faster than donkeys which is their main advantage. I've also wanted donkeys to have the ability to carry things like logs or barrels since the .79 update, so maybe mules could be used to carry heavy loads.

I think mules in vanilla are overall faster than donkeys which is their main advantage. I've also wanted donkeys to have the ability to carry things like logs or barrels since the .79 update, so maybe mules could be used to carry heavy loads.

I'm confused. As of the current verison, Donkeys do have the ability to do that. In fact, it's a bit insane how much they can carry at a time.

Donkeys accept TFC chests that can hold only medium and smaller things. That means you can not transport logs, barrels, anvils and the likes usng them.

If your donkeys chests accept such things, it is a bug and shall be reported in the support forums.

But check your game version first becouse this bug has been recently fixed.

As of 79.12 it is possible to transport as many barrels full of items as there are slots in the chests of the donkey. Which adds up to around 12 or so. Haven't tried in 79.13 yet.

Kitty knows about the bug. IIRC it was something dunk needs to fix? It was mentioned in IRC at one point.

Yeah I checked this as well, and still possible in 0.79.13

From 79.0 changelog:

• [*]
Donkey chests now accept and refuse the same items as TFC chests.

So it is a bug that was supposed to be fixed. Please fill in a bug report for it, can you? :)