Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

What pages should be updated first?

36 posts in this topic

I've sent out a few tweets regarding this, but thought I might as well cover my bases and make a post here as well. I'm currently in the middle of studying for finals, so I am unable to put as much effort into the wiki as I would like. Because of this, I need to take the update one page at a time. I don't have much of an idea of which pages should take priority over others, so I'm asking the community.

What currently outdated pages of the wiki would you like to see updated first? I have gotten a single request for the Food page, but not much response beyond that.

I'll admit I do not check any ones twitter, so my bad (I'm a horrible person) so this post is helpful for me to help you to help everyone.

Now on to the topic I do not envy you this task there is so much awesome that happened in this update :D  hard to pick one topic/page over another.

Food a good one but I think I'd vote for the skills page.  Basically trying to look at it from the view point of a new player, who I'm hoping can figure out how to eat/create meals based on whats there.  They might not understand why taste matters or what to aim for when making a meal.  VS  the skills page which really has very little to no information.

I think Food is the article that could use the most attention now. After that, creating pages for Loom, Grill, and Smoke Rack, and updating Forge and Sluice. More generally, after looking through AllPages and the Change Log:

Requires creation:

• Armor Stand (lower priority -- it's pretty obvious what to do with them)
  • Fish (lower priority -- it's pretty obvious what to do with them)
  • Fishing Rod (though maybe the new usage could just be explained at Crafting Differences)
  • Grill
  • Large Ceramic Vessel (possibly just in Pottery?)
  • Loom DONE
  • Name Tag
  • Smoke Rack
  • Sugar Cane (lower priority once added to Agriculture)

Very outdated:

• Fruit Tree (bloom and harvest months, harvest interval, harvest amount) DONE.
  • Forge DONE!
  • Sluice DONE.
  • Torch DONE.

Needs more improvement than other articles:

• Agriculture (new sugar cane crop, new death-from-cold mechanic, die-as-seeds mechanic)
  • Food (new heat and weight indicators, food management hotkeys, all the new decay-prevention methods, the new taste mechanic, the new meal types) DONE.
  • Skill (needs updating, but people can probably get by if it's lower priority) DONE.

The following subjects should be documented, in various places:

• hot springs regenerating health
  • overburdoned mechanic
  • morning fog
  • shears (how to make them on the anvil, what to use them for)
  • new chests can be explained the same way doors are at Crafting Differences
  • status effects for hunger and thirst DONE
  • new firestarter mechanic (not described in changelog?)

Lower priority (people will figure it out):

• Reeds
  • Stairs

Maybe move Wool to Cloth to also cover silk and burlap cloth on one page. DONE

I say the food page, with plenty of information on the smoking mechanic and drying mechanic as of now im still having issues with smoking meat....i think its the type of logs im burning tho....but i cant find out cause not much info here and wiki needs update. :D I agreed with most of Munin is saying as well...thanks for hard work Kitty! :P

Wow, Munin has a lot of great suggestions.  Having read the ribbit* page after food and skills I don't think you could go wrong with the loom and/or sluice.  I'm assuming the grill and smoke rack will fall under the food category?  If not I'm totally bundling them with the loom/sluice too.  :) Again just trying to think of things that would be most helpful to a new player.  Although the large ceramic vessel is probably more important early game than the grill.

*Reddit

I'd dedicate a lot of time to creating pages for features that don't have pages already. For example, the loom is mentioned in multiple pages, but doesn't actually have a page. Its function, crafting recipe, ect. are lost to anybody not using the changelog and NEI.

Is there a working list of pages on wiki that need to be updated? Would it be helpful if you were provided with text documents of page updates that could be used by approved editors. I'm not sure I have enough time to help with wiki to make it worth you vetting me for editing rights, but I thought I may still be able to contribute in some small way.

Is there a working list of pages on wiki that need to be updated? Would it be helpful if you were provided with text documents of page updates that could be used by approved editors. I'm not sure I have enough time to help with wiki to make it worth you vetting me for editing rights, but I thought I may still be able to contribute in some small way.

I have a google doc that Kreicus also has access to that is basically a copy of the change log, but then I go through and make notes on all the entries for how to update the wiki in relation to it. There's also my basic to do page that has much more general ideas on it:

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/TerraFirmaCraft:Wiki_Edits#General_To_Do

The biggest thing that is a bottleneck is that when a single bit of information needs to be updated on a page, I have to make sure that the entire page is up to date, to help reduce confusion. Otherwise if users see information that is up to date for the latest build, they will likely assume that the entire page is up to date, and might get some wrong info. There's also the style guide that I've been slowly working on implementing for all pages to make them more uniform.

Often times what seems like a super quick update (a single simple change log entry) turns into 3+ hours of work for a single page, because I have to update it to match the style guide, and go through and make sure that everything else on the page is still accurate. I also tend to get distracted really easily, so then updating the page takes even longer >.>

3+ hours isn't uncommon for an article rewrite. I did many of the redstone component article updates for the Rewrite for Style project on the Minecraft Wiki, and many of those rewrites took similar amounts of time for similar reasons (re-org for style, checking technical issues, updating to 1.8, etc.).

Hang in there!

...Many Words.

You are a wiki hero Kitty.  The food page looks fantastic I'm sure there is a huge thank you from everyone floating around on the board waiting to smack you upside the head. :D  Also a thank you to everyone who is helping out with the wiki.

I'm sure we've all at some point being working on something then moments in gotten distracted by something else.

Thanks for all the work you are putting into this Kitty!

Skill page has been updated. Done with the wiki for tonight, but I'll look through the list and probably do a bunch of updating this weekend.

Very outdated:

• Fruit Tree (bloom and harvest months, harvest interval, harvest amount, month nomenclature)

The fruit tree page is actually up to date as of 78.0 IIRC. It still needs updating a little bit especially since I made a good chunk of changes in a recent hotfix, but it's nowhere near as outdated as say the Forge page, which explains mechanics that have been removed since before Build 50.

Edit: Bloom and Harvest months are already correct. I'm editing the harvest interval and amount right now. I have no idea what you mean by month nomenclature, since months aren't even referenced on that page. It lists seasons just like the berry page.

... I have no idea what you mean by month nomenclature, since months aren't even referenced on that page. It lists seasons just like the berry page.

My mistake. I had forgotten that the seasons were displayed in-game.

Skill page has been updated. Done with the wiki for tonight, but I'll look through the list and probably do a bunch of updating this weekend.

Looks great, thanks!

After 6 hours of work, the forge page has been updated. Writing the history section made me realize that the last time that page was considered up-to-date was back during Build 46.

Updated the sluice page today. I'm thinking I'll tackle the remaining stuff related to agriculture next.

Saw your tweet about the player page and clicked on it. Although the information on the page looks updated, there is a message in the bottom stating that: 

This page was last modified on 20 July 2015, at 14:11.

This page was last modified on 20 July 2015, at 14:11.

Also it remains a big yellow warning in the top stating that the wiki is not updated.

Is there any way to remove the warning from the pages that are up to date?

Edited by TonyLiberatto

What tweet about the player page? My last tweet was about the sluice page... If you're talking about this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Kittychanley/status/623208831141609473

If you look, the date on that tweet was July 20th.

I will not remove the warning from the top of pages that are up to date because the vast majority of pages are still outdated. It is a general warning for the wiki as a whole, and not an individual page warning.

That's weird, I clicked on the tweet link under your name on the Terrafirmacraft Home page and it show me the tweet about the Player.

Well anyways if it is a General warning for the whole wiki, I understand, It's a pity that you cannot removed from the updated pages, In the end the regular player has no idea what pages are up to date or not.

I wish I could help, but I do not think I have enough English for that. 

Just because a page isn't up to date, doesn't mean that it's all bad info. I expect players to read the wiki and use it as if it was correct information. If they then experience something other than what is stated on the wiki, they can check the change log to see what has changed since the wiki page was last updated. That's exactly why the warning says that it may no longer be correct, which implies that at some point it was correct, and there is the possibility that it is still correct. It's also why I include a direct link to the change log in the header so players can quickly reference it.

Maybe a page on smoking meat? I know that's a frequently asked question on our server, and a wiki page for it would be helpful.

You could put a list of what pages are done so others could better help with updating/ suggestions for updates. Just my opinion though.

If the page has been updated since 79.0 released over a year ago, there will be a section near the bottom titled "History" that contains a list of all change log entries related to that page. You can use that by looking at the last entry in the table. Whatever version is the last entry, it is guaranteed that the page is up to date to at least that version. If checking the change log from that version forward shows no new changes, then the page is up to date for the current version.

Alternatively, every single page has a tab on the right called "Version History." I make sure whenever I update a page to include a brief summary of what was changed that will show up on that page. If it shows anything along the lines of "Updated to 79" then you know the page is generally up to date.

The wiki has 173 pages with general content on them that is read by users.  If you also include pages for redirects, templates, images, and all the other behind the scenes of a wiki, we have a total of 4,141 pages. Converting that into a list every single time a new update comes out of which ones are up to date for that version is much to big of a task for a single person that is also doing primary development for the mod and managing the forums.