Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
hoseja

Magma forges

140 posts in this topic

We have magma. We have forges. Why not combine them, like in Dwarf Fortress for the ultimate metal-working station?

This is certainly something worth looking into for the future. The basic concept is simple, just have Lava flowing through a magma forge block. Feel free to expand upon that.

Magma Bloomeries. Magma campfires though would be a bit overkill. Although if Magma Forges still require the opening to the skyline they'd be a pain to set up without having a lava pool conveniently at the surface. Speaking of I've never seen one on on the surface, can lava pools still spawn that high?

the way something like this would have to be designed would be awkward, if you have lava pouring into it it could have many potential disaters, if you have it flow into it from one direction it might be easier to build but would look very strange and awkward. what if you had to build a 2 part forge, the basic part of the forge would be the same but you would need a specialy crafted lava basin that you can fill with lava and when you click it or pull the lever it "turns" and pours some "magma" into the forge. or has like an open spout, im not sure what it is called, but when you click it it releases some magam kinda like thisPosted Image

or if you want the lava to flow into the forge this is a viable option Posted Image

these would require a special animation to give it the realy cool effect that one would expect with this kind of forge, nothing too difficult just uses add a trail that the flowing lava texture will follow when activated and dissapear when deactivated, the stram it would have to follow would have to be thiner then a block, maybe as thin as a fence post? these metal magam containers would be able to hold sevral blocks of lava, redsteel would probably be a good metal for this level of forge, and could be used as bloomeries too, maybe they could be able to take in magma and ores and pour the melted metals into the forge and the metals can be shaped into ultra high teir weapons armours and tools. oh and the reason i said that redsteel should be used for lava is that i remeber a comment bioxx posted about maybe using bluesteel to carry whole blocks of water so blue for water red for magma. also a good idea is that the magma forge needs to have huge shaped molds, like for a sword instead of pouring the metal in a mold and working it into an ingot, you need to make huge stone or metal molds that have durability and when you pour the metal directly into the mold you need to work it in the fforge, thus combinding a bloomery forge and anvil all in one, but it can only be used for higher teired weapons and tools that require huge amounts of ores, thus you can not make regular weapons and armours and although the new weapons and armours have more uses and deal more damage, they cost more resources then they are worth, this way it balaces it out, you could make 10 regular picks that take alot of work and time, or you can make one ultra pick that has as many uses as 7 of those picks but costs the same amout of ore, also could be used for delving into the nether, as if you add a way to get to the netherthe mobs there would have to be horrific and powerful demanding stronger weapons and armour. this could be the starting point for that part of the mod.

and yes i am an overlord fan

The only way I could see this working would be:

It functions just like the forge, but does not require fuel.

Instead of being based on a 3x3 of cobble/brick and surrounded by 8 cobble/brick, you would need to use blocks of iron, platinum, or the various steels, as those are the only metals in the game that won't melt in contact with magma/lava. Or that reliably will not do so.

Which would make a magma forge very expensive to produce, but also very useful, because it would be able to render liquid any metal other than the ones that its enclosing blocks are made of, and would be able to get most others to a workable or weldable temperature, very quickly, too, I should think.

The only way I could see this working would be:

It functions just like the forge, but does not require fuel.

Instead of being based on a 3x3 of cobble/brick and surrounded by 8 cobble/brick, you would need to use blocks of iron, platinum, or the various steels, as those are the only metals in the game that won't melt in contact with magma/lava. Or that reliably will not do so.

Which would make a magma forge very expensive to produce, but also very useful, because it would be able to render liquid any metal other than the ones that its enclosing blocks are made of, and would be able to get most others to a workable or weldable temperature, very quickly, too, I should think.

or quite simply make a placeable item that takes up a 3x3x? space, use 2x sheet metal or something and has many stages. so you craft it some how, not entirely sure, your idea might be better, but my idea would give you a cualdron type block that yo place and fill up, your idea could work just as well, or a combo of our 2 ideas, you buld the container but leave one block facing the forge, either on the top or the botom, open and then you craft a nozel type thing to direct the stream, kinda like the bloomery block that when you place it in the hole it takes up a 1x2x1 space like the sluice and the animation pours off of there, great thing about magma forge is that it should never cool off, it should just slowly empty over time so you have to go find more lava to fill it with, and instead of a redsteel bucket to carry the lava, how about redsteel pipes, i geuss a regular steel container can hold the lava but the pies would have to be redsteel to withstand the heat since pipes are thinner then the walls of this design, if you were to use the metal blocks idea then iron or steel would be an acceptable starting point, higher teir metal hold more lava and more ore, if you use my original idea of a 3x3x? placeable item then it would probably need to be atleast black steel, i like the block idea better now that i think about it, maybe welding 2 double ingots gives you a block of metal? or 2 gives half a block and 4 gives a whole block, if it is made with a blocks though it need to be 5x5x? with a 3x3x? space inside to fill up with lava

EDIT:

um how about also to get the higher teir metals you can through unsahpped metas into the magamaforge to get things like steel and black steel, so if you want a pure zink heavy ultra sword youa bunch of sphalertite but if you want to the magma basin, but if you want higher teir metals you need to use the metalurgy table and then toss the unshapped metal into the basin. also the magma forge could have a big gui with a new magma forge anvil side and a magma forge forge side to heat up the metal, any item placed in the forge is kept nice and hot but the anvil portion does not use ingots, it uses the measure ments that the bloomery has to coculate how much metal you have to work with and you have to work it from there, if you get it to the point that you craft a weapon, tool or armour peice it appears in an output slot, heavy tools and weapons should have diffrent designs, a heavy copper sword should look diffrent then a heavy steel sword

bumping this back up cause it deserves some more imput and attention

Typically surface lava cools in minutes. Magma forges should have to be built way underground.

Other than that, one way to balance a magma forge would be to add heat damage in some form.

I'm with Lumy up there, these should definitely be a below-ground deal

Or rather, have it work the opposite of a regular forge - it becomes more efficient at LOWER y values as opposed to higher ones.

Me, I'm picturing a room carved into a cave of basalt smooth stone (not raw), arching high up in the ceiling in a gothic peak - a lava lake at about 2/3 the way up the ceiling dammed up, with a single block opening... maybe even a metal sluice gate of some kind blocking it off until activated by rope pull or something... pouring glowing red molten rock into a 1x3x2 channel that starts just at the player's head level and ends in the forge block at his feet.

It would be dangerous to construct, since the wooden supports one would normally use would burn up in the heat of the molten lake - perhaps iron girders would be required to keep such a place free of collapse?

that is what i was thinking of, a lava sluce thing you build with metal of some sort, you build the lava basin and attach the sluice to a 1x1 opening and when you activate it, i like the pully idea, it gets pored into the forge

You guys do realize that stone and ceramics are more heat resistant than metal, right?

This is because they are poor conductors of heat, while metal heats up quite quickly.

If you were to touch a hot rock (>100OC), It wouldn't feel as hot, or burn you (Immediately) because it would take a while to transfer the heat to you.

If we were to contain lava, it would require some form of large stone pot. (Or that which we already have, stone blocks)

You guys do realize that stone and ceramics are more heat resistant than metal, right?

This is because they are poor conductors of heat, while metal heats up quite quickly.

If you were to touch a hot rock (>100OC), It wouldn't feel as hot, or burn you (Immediately) because it would take a while to transfer the heat to you.

If we were to contain lava, it would require some form of large stone pot. (Or that which we already have, stone blocks)

>_> Note that I never said metal... except for the potential sluice gate, which I imagine you'd have a hard time carving from stone...

I was actually thinking smooth stone or brick for the construction, lol

i was thinkiing red steel but my original idea was stone of some sort, i just thought that would make it was to early game to be feasilble. but now that i think about it, if you have to work your way up to redsteel to get a bucket that can carry lava, (with a stone handle?) it would make it so that you can not get around to making it right off the bat.

Magma Bloomeries. Magma campfires though would be a bit overkill. Although if Magma Forges still require the opening to the skyline they'd be a pain to set up without having a lava pool conveniently at the surface. Speaking of I've never seen one on on the surface, can lava pools still spawn that high?

Seed: 90210

It would be nice to see this in game and I like this idea the most.

these would require a special animation to give it the realy cool effect that one would expect with this kind of forge, nothing too difficult just uses add a trail that the flowing lava texture will follow when activated and dissapear when deactivated, the stram it would have to follow would have to be thiner then a block, maybe as thin as a fence post? these metal magam containers would be able to hold sevral blocks of lava, redsteel would probably be a good metal for this level of forge, and could be used as bloomeries too, maybe they could be able to take in magma and ores and pour the melted metals into the forge and the metals can be shaped into ultra high teir weapons armours and tools. oh and the reason i said that redsteel should be used for lava is that i remeber a comment bioxx posted about maybe using bluesteel to carry whole blocks of water so blue for water red for magma. also a good idea is that the magma forge needs to have huge shaped molds, like for a sword instead of pouring the metal in a mold and working it into an ingot, you need to make huge stone or metal molds that have durability and when you pour the metal directly into the mold you need to work it in the fforge, thus combinding a bloomery forge and anvil all in one, but it can only be used for higher teired weapons and tools that require huge amounts of ores, thus you can not make regular weapons and armours and although the new weapons and armours have more uses and deal more damage, they cost more resources then they are worth, this way it balaces it out, you could make 10 regular picks that take alot of work and time, or you can make one ultra pick that has as many uses as 7 of those picks but costs the same amout of ore, also could be used for delving into the nether, as if you add a way to get to the netherthe mobs there would have to be horrific and powerful demanding stronger weapons and armour. this could be the starting point for that part of the mod.

and yes i am an overlord fan

You guys are so silly..Why would you have magma pouring down into the forge/bloomery?

Even out of simplicity it would end up looking how (more) modern foundries were set up (before they went to electric), a big pot set on top of a huge blast furnace or in this case a lava pool (Ya like that is safe! But who cares<3) which would pour the thousands of degrees of heat directly up into the bottom of the container or item you set in the forge slots.

You guys are so silly..Why would you have magma pouring down into the forge/bloomery?

Even out of simplicity it would end up looking how (more) modern foundries were set up (before they went to electric), a big pot set on top of a huge blast furnace or in this case a lava pool (Ya like that is safe! But who cares<3) which would pour the thousands of degrees of heat directly up into the bottom of the container or item you set in the forge slots.

basicly, yeah. it sounds like an awsome idea, and they had things like this back then, not a blast furnace like you said, but still pouring motlen metal into a mould is almost as old as metalurgey itself, all we want to see is it done in a big way! liked your comment, this is not a rebuke, just an awnser. you comment is actualy kinda funny and freindly so thanks for not critizising us too much

Well I was trying not to come off as being harsh since most here were stylizing their idea on video games (which most of those games do it for looks not on how something really might work)

But I have a few blacksmith friends who like to delve into old, old school metal working including some of the original ways of recovering Metal from ore stone, which is preaty much stacking the ore containing stone, sand and coal and layering them and covering all that in a clay tube of sorts.... Then lighting it and letting it go all day..It melts down the rock and and not and you get a lot of slag and a few pounds of metal at best...It's a LOT of work to say the least. (A lot harder then our system but not going complain)

We have magma. We have forges. Why not combine them, like in Dwarf Fortress for the ultimate metal-working station?

We are looking into adding in a temperature map behind the light map that minecraft already has, which would represent temperature values per block. Because everything would be realistic, going near magma (or having it in a forge) would be hazardous to your character's health.

Because everything would be realistic, going near magma (or having it in a forge) would be hazardous to your character's health.

And then you pick up a bucket of it :P

Should probably be a timer on the buildup of heat before negative effects start to occur. That way you have to take breaks every now and again, but it's not impossible to manage

And then you pick up a bucket of it :P

You already can't pick up magma with buckets, and you're probably not going to be able to. Archimedes screw pumps, however...

We are looking into adding in a temperature map behind the light map that minecraft already has, which would represent temperature values per block. Because everything would be realistic, going near magma (or having it in a forge) would be hazardous to your character's health.

Would extremely cold temperatures also be hazardous?

Would extremely cold temperatures also be hazardous?

yes sir. Better wrap up in wool, fur or leather armour.