Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

Ships!!

81 posts in this topic

Ok so i was just reading a post about adding giant squids (awsome idea but not practicle) and about how bioxx hopes to change the terrain gen, and maybe making biomes bigger. then it hit me, if biomes are going to get bigger, the oceans are going to be huge and we are going to need a way to cross them. with the awsome new gen height i realized that oceans can get extremely deep so i also had the quick idea to add to the world gen that if a ravine spawns in under an ocean it should be full of water. but that is off topic. ships could actualy be easier to code then most realize. with terrafirmacraft awsome structure recogition prgraming, all one would have to do it build a structure, and use the proper materials, also ships would not have to be very big, a simple long boat like the viking used would be suitable for a several day voyage. it would be awsome to have massive ships like the spanish navy used or english galleons but those would be much harder to code, i believe that a long boat would be a suitable middle ground, they cound easily hold several chests and people, and with a little coding even have a sleep function to help skip nights (ie. sleeping on the hard floor of the ship) this would allow the player to not only have a swift means of transportation across seas but also have storage for food, and a platform that can be used to fight off any mobs that may attack your boat rather then having to either dive into the water after the monster or risk breaking your boat. things that could attack your ship would include sharks, whales, squids if they are added, and even mythilogical creatures if they are added (which would be awsome additions) such as sea dragons and mermaids, i could not think of another sea monster so i threw in mermaids as they were know to lead ships to rocks and capsize the boats to attack the crews of ships. ship sterring would be easy as well, as the ship would simply have a function that as long as it is not night, when you click on the ship you go into a driving mode, or for multiplayer convienience, paddles and a steerer. who ever it is codded or done, ships were and have always been a major part of human progression and should be included in this mod. also another idea to add is that maybe adding in a sea captain npc that can be found at village ports, if they are added, yeah i know this is reliant on unconfirmed additions and hopeful additions, that when hired you can set coordinates in his memoery storage and set up your own docks, and then all you have to do is have him steer the ship to your desired destination. this would not mean that you immidiately appear at the desired location, but that the captain gives the ship an AI that finds the most direct route across water to the desired coordinates, also if the desired destination is scaned and found to not be water of a cetain depth then the coordinates are regected and dissapear from the list.

This would be another reason to add nails :) I'd like to build myself a nice ship that can fit maybe 4-6 people on board. Set sail into the untamed wilds.

It be funny if you start on an island with no trees :3

Thats funny as the last world I generated WAS a island with no trees. No animals either. It was about 15X20 blocks, 3 high and no animals or even grass. Oh and nothing but ocean biomes in all direction. I soon deleted it and wish to never see it again.

This is quite good idea and it would help with migration(away or to) islands.

This would be another reason to add nails :) I'd like to build myself a nice ship that can fit maybe 4-6 people on board. Set sail into the untamed wilds.

a use for lead, I like.

that mod looks perfect, and if it is open sourced that is even better! and everything works? beds, chests, and work tables? that is an amazing mod, if bioxx is allowed to use this and use the coding that makes the boats move and have usable functions, he could add it to a buildable entity that fits in well in minecraft ( not sure what terms to use) but what ever he has to do this would be a great starting place, and hey, if bioxx does not use this i definetly will use this to make a mod for this overhaul that allows you to use a new tool and new items to build boats, now i only need to learn how to code, i have a freind he can teach me, but all joking aside, yeah, bioxx, you are a freking coding geinus, if you are allowed to use this coding, im sure you will know how to use it to add a truly incredible boat experience for all of us, if anyone can do it, it will be you

'Twould be better than swimming, sir. 'Twould be faster than swimming, sir 'Twould needed to be coded and placed in the mod, sir. Thank you, sir.

'Twould be better than swimming, sir. 'Twould be faster than swimming, sir 'Twould needed to be coded and placed in the mod, sir. Thank you, sir.

I don't want to sound rude but..... um ... Duh?

I don't want to sound rude but..... um ... Duh?

And I don't mean to be vague, sir, but that was merely an attempt at humor using a sarcastic tone, whilst agreeing with the suggesiton, sir. I merely put it simple, for if I went to my usual complexity....well, you wouldn't be saying "duh" that;s for sure. More like "huh" actually. Good day, sir.

Maybe you should write with your "usual complexity" so you don't look like a total idiot that's not even stupid funny. Perhaps you could then help with the ships/boats ideas this thread is for.

I do thank you for unburying this from the second page. Now I don't have to post a pointless "bump".

I use the "Ships and Boats" mod whit TFC and its full compatible. Only the recipes use vanilla iron but you can manage it whit "custom recipes".

Right on. Just gotta remember, sarcasm and tone are very difficult (without a little effort) to interpret via text. More than half of the occasions when I read something like what you typed it was intended to be an insult (usually because of the frequent use of sir in a casual environment)

I use the "Ships and Boats" mod whit TFC and its full compatible. Only the recipes use vanilla iron but you can manage it whit "custom recipes".

And BLAM, sounds good :)

Right on. Just gotta remember, sarcasm and tone are very difficult (without a little effort) to interpret via text. More than half of the occasions when I read something like what you typed it was intended to be an insult (usually because of the frequent use of sir in a casual environment)

And BLAM, sounds good :)

don't worry about it dude, he is my freind, IRL and was just helping me out by bumping this post so it could be built upon more. he was not trying to insult me or anyone, he was just trying to think of something to say that made sence in this post so he would not have to post a pointless bump. he was doing me a favor. but yeah, lets get back to talking about the suggestion, i know that shipd and boats mod is open sourced and think that if bioxx were to use the basic coding of this mod, mainly the part that allow the full use of chests, and beds on the ship. i believe that this could easily be worked to fit in tfcraft and would love to see what bioxx comes up with. he might even be able to make it so you need very specific materials to make a boat, so you would first need the boat hull, the seats. you need to make all the peices and put them together and when you put the final peice in place the ship/boat becomes a movable entity that with the proper equipment, namley elbow grease whith small boats and rolling logs for bigger boats, and ships need to be built in a special structure. but however it is done, when you finish placing all the peices together and you get the boat to the water, you can interact with anything on the boat, if a crafting table was placed on the ship you can use it, if you need food open your chest, if you want to sleep, either head over to the bed or use the seats on the ship as a hard pillow. since it is opened sourced, if bioxx uses the appropriate code he can do some pretty awsome things with this mod, if he even uses this idea and assuming he uses theis opensorced mod. if not im sure bioxx will think of something just as good if not better. anyone else have any other ideas?

And I was just about to start my own thread for boats.

One shouldn't be able to make larger boats/ships until the later metals. My thoughts for a starter boat, since vanilla MC's boat :wub: ing sucks.

• New vehicle entity: Dugout, logboat, whatever; four/five blocks long (If ids are limited for some reason, the five long is more prefered. Otherwise, both?)
  • New tool: an adze; same recipe as a hoe but upside-down
  • New item/block: timber/lumber; obtained by cutting a tree down with an adze, looks like the tree trunk it came from except laying down... - snippy snip -

First of all, I love your boat ideas. I only disagree with the tools. Rather than using an adze to fell trees, I feel it would be better to use a saw...or to make it so that shift-clicking with an axe felled the tree instead of logging it all up. Using the adze on the felled tree would then work as you've suggested.

Maybe, not sure if that's a good idea. So adzes aren't completely useless, maybe they could also be used to more efficiently create wooden planks. (Less durability reduction?)

I only disagree with the tools.

Yeah, I really didn't like using the adze to cut the trees down, but I didn't want to assume that my suggestion for a new tree cutting method with the axe (which I still haven't written up, cuz I'm lazy) would be implemented so I just had the new tool do it instead.

Well in general I like the idea of adding more tools, even if it means introducing some slight overlap. (Different tools doing other things more efficiently as opposed to only doing certain things period...as long as it's within reason...) More inventory space required for the optimization(key word) of certain tasks would lead to people decking themselves out as lumberjacks, or miners, and so on. This kind of specialization is a good thing, I think.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining that properly.

I wonder how hard it would be to put in a tree falling it sounds a little complex.

How about instead of a new tool, how about felling a tree *always* happens when you cut it down. Then you could take the fallen the tree and break into logs (if you want) or carve it into a duggout (if you want) plus that would be cool I could drop trees on ppl

I wonder how hard it would be to put in a tree falling it sounds a little complex.

actualy its not as hard as you might think, it would be difficult yes but simpler then previously imagined. i have seen something like this done, it was not with trees and i forget the name of the mod, but the principle applies that if you have a point 1 and a point b the making an animation to get tiem from point a to point be should be very simple, just requires a little fancy coding, but nothing gamebreaking. anyways this is off topic. i love the ideas guys, i just feel that while you might beable to carry one of these little dingy's with you, i beleive that you should have to make a path for bigger boats and ships that you have to move them into the water on. so you would have to build boats near the water and push use a trailer or guided path to get the boat in the water

It be funny if you start on an island with no trees :3

Perhaps coastal areas (land bordering ocean biomes) could have a chance of spawning 'driftwood' every high tide? (the driftwood would despawn at low tide to prevent buildup.)

Driftwood would show up as a log floating in the water, and would be breakable in one hit, like flint. It would give you a single log of a random wood type (though it could probably be limited to trees likely to be near coasts) That way, players on islands wouldn't be totally dependent on local flora, but it wouldn't be consistent enough to become a staple wood source.

Conversely, perhaps the driftwood would be left on coastal land blocks during lowtide.

How about instead of a new tool, how about felling a tree *always* happens when you cut it down. Then you could take the fallen the tree and break into logs (if you want) or carve it into a duggout (if you want) plus that would be cool I could drop trees on ppl

you could make it so you have to cut a notch in the bottom and it would fall in that direction

edit: to avoid hitting things with the tree :)