Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masterblaster

rawhide tents for early game excursions

6 posts in this topic

Hi there!  New player here.  Sorry If this has been already posted.  I skimmed through the first several pages and find no mention of it. There's something about straw beds but this is different.  I just completed my first major play-through (SP) on hardcore mode/hard difficulty.  Really fun!  (Although it ended rather tragically.) I notice a lot of time early on is spent going on excursions away from the base in search of resources.  With no bed yet and no armor, there's a repeated pattern of finding a hole somewhere, hiding from mobs, and waiting every 10 minutes.  This gets a little repetitive on hard difficulty/hardcore.  So I thought this might be a good idea to make the night routine a little better streamlined as well as interesting. 

Here is how I suggest they work:

- Craft ingredients: 8 sticks + small or medium hide (need to have made a workbench)

- Must be carried in the "back" slot

- To deploy the tent, sneak-click on the ground in the center of a 3x3 grid.

- The tent is deployed automatically, similar to the way support beams are "deployed".  It instantly builds a 3x3x3 tent structure, with a 1x1x2 space in the middle.

- Breaking the tent should repack it back to a single item.

- The walls of the tent have no clipping and you can walk through them.  (as can mobs)

- Walls could have little openings so you can see out (but mobs can't see you)

- If you stand in the center of the tent, it's the same as if you surrounding yourself with straw blocks.  Mobs can't see you and you are relatively safe, as long as a mob does not randomly walk into you.

- Tent is equipped with a bedroll that can advance time by 2 hours, but cannot be used more than once every 12 in-game hours. (single player only).

Bonus suggestion: a later game/advanced version of the tent perhaps could have better (blocking) walls and a bedroll with normal (sleep until morning) function.

I like the idea. Cave man to hunter/gather.

Some of those are part of my post about making stone age longer. Here

I think you could make the Stone Age longer by tweaking the food and seed mechanics. Particular seed drops from wild crops. For example, have wild crops drop a seed only, say, 25% of the time, and it would take much longer for the player to accumulate enough seeds to build sustainable agriculture. If you reduced the available food on top of this, it would force periodic early game migrations as local food supplies are consumed and the player has to move on to greener pastures in order to survive. Not unlike real history. Early humans existed as nomadic hunter-gatherers for tens of thousands of years before finally settling down and building walled settlements with the advent of agriculture.

Perhaps the devs could give us a few config options to for food difficulty settings.

I like this idea... as a fan of early New World history, I often think of Terrafirmacraft as set in 1500 in the new world, Steve being the only survivor of a shipwreck along the american coast.... so a native American style teepee would fit great.  

Not to be overly pedantic, but tipis were only used by the nomadic nations of the plains. Along the East Coast more permanent shelters were used such as wigwams and longhouses, using bark and woven mats for walls/roof. Along the west coast plank houses were common. In the north and along the Rocky Mountains and interior used pit houses for winter and frequently more temporary shelters for their summer hunting and gathering areas. The shelters that I favour are more like the pit houses. It would be interesting to have bark for a building material. As a builder it would be a nice option, but I would understand hesitation of adding more solely decorative blocks.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0