Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kozi

Waterfalls

10 posts in this topic

One of the things I always loved about exploring vanilla Minecraft was finding great waterfall landscapes to start building my houses around.  However, I noticed TFC doesn't seem to have any kind of waterfall features in the worldgen at all.  Are there any plans to implement these?  I would love to get back to making secret waterfall entrances and mountain top waterfall villas around a nice lagoon.  I realize I could somewhat make these by hand but the buckets needed to transport water blocks come very late in the game.  

It would also be cool to have the audio scale based on the size of the waterfall.  Hearing the roar of a huge waterfall out the window would be awesome.

You can find hot springs at any altitude. With careful terraforming, you should be able to make waterfalls from them (and sometimes they generate waterfalls naturally, when a block falls away or something).

I also noticed the fewer natural waterfalls and I think its because of the world generation.  If you create a new world and just start running towards mountains, you will see things are still settling: blocks are falling as TFC gravity does its thing.   I think many waterfalls disappear because of that.  

As Munin said, the trick might be once I am all geared up to go on a terraforming expedition and create a few of them around in cool spots. 

If I remember correctly, TFC water doesn't spawn at any Y-level above sea level. That was true at some point, and I don't know if it's been changed since, but that would explain a lack of waterfalls since they aren't able to flow down from a high point down to sea level. It was to do with problems that regular water spawning was creating in land generation. However, hotsprings should be a good way to get natural waterfalls or to create a waterfall with. You could also use red steel buckets.

This has probably been suggested and discussed but I think this is how waterfalls could work. A single infinite water source could be generated randomly anywhere above sea level. The requirement for generating it should be that it fits into a single air block surrounded completely by stone/dirt blocks except on one side (not top/bottom). It would then pour down as far as it can. To not make it just fall down into nothing like in vanilla (idk how possible this part is), it could be made so that after the water flows on the same y level for more than 3 or 4 blocks it generates a lake there (yea this is probably hard to code properly?).Just an idea an how it would work if it could work.Wouldn't have to be just above sea level either, how about flooded caves or underground rivers? Similiar generation? Look for an air block below sea lvl with only 1 block next to it open allowing it to flow. I think this is in vanilla already but never seen it in TFC.To expand off this (even if it's implemented in a slightly or even completely different way), it could be made so that the fresh water in the lakes we have currently would be murky and muddy, with a chance of transmitting some diseases. As a better alternative we could have this mountain spring water, collectable from the spring, the waterfall and the little lake below it. This water would be much cleaner and safer to drink.

EDIT: Maybe even change the water "textures" a bit, like the vanilla swamps? Swampy color for the current lakes (unless they're really big?), pristine clear water for the mountain springs.

To expand off this (even if it's implemented in a slightly or even completely different way), it could be made so that the fresh water in the lakes we have currently would be murky and muddy, with a chance of transmitting some diseases. As a better alternative we could have this mountain spring water, collectable from the spring, the waterfall and the little lake below it. This water would be much cleaner and safer to drink.

The Enviromine mod actually does something like this already.  It splits water sources into 4 categories (dirty, salty, cold, normal) which requires boiling to turn into clean water to drink.  The mod also adds in body temperature so cool water is used to lower this if you're overheating.  It's a cool feature but there are some other aspects of the mod that I don't care for so I've never bothered using it.  It would be neat if TFC incorporated some of the water properties though to increase the survivability challenge.

Bioxx has looked into rivers before and never been happy with any attempts to slope them. The rivers there are very angular and shallow, and look pretty unnatural. We did explore having real waterfalls but it degenerates into a lag-ridden mess of flowing water block floods pretty quickly. 

I did come across a few natural waterfalls in TFC while we were testing b79, so they do exist :)

Posted Image

Not sure if this has been changed but flowing water freezes into a new water block in the winter.  I made some water falls on a map and after winter came and left there was just a mess of water everywere. So much of a mess that I had to /gamemode to clean it up. I havnt tested this on b79 though

Its a good way to make lakes bigger without water buckets though.

I found a gigantic mountain on an old world once and found a little pond of ice on top of a mountain. Broke it and water poured down and flooded the valley under it. Crazy how a game can seem so majestic in landscapes