Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Calvissuperman

My first night QUESTIONS

16 posts in this topic

So I've gotten back into this glorious mod, and just died on my first night because straw is not a solid block anymore. What is the easiest way to build a first home now? I can't possibly gather that much wood right away, I've resorted to using pumpkins which is usually luck though. Is this ok? I feel like straw should be solid, maybe you could like add a log to some straw and reinforce it? I would be ok with that

Wood is definitely the primary starter shelter material. Other options depending on your surroundings are digging underneath a boulder, or into a clay deposit in a hill. If you want to be a complete coward and just hide the night away doing absolutely nothing,  you can always dig a 3 deep hole, climb in, and then cap it off with a log.

Also, do cattails always mean drinkable water? Because I'm standing right next to one, and right clicking with an open hand and I'm not drinking any water. I even hear frog noises and such

Yes. You need to be clicking on the side of a block that is under the water though, not on the actual surface of the water. If you have smart moving installed, you may also be experiencing the occasional drinking glitch which is solved by relogging.

Back in my day we didn't even have straw! Had to go up hill (both ways of course) barefoot in the snow to get food. :lol:

Anyway....I just went back to doing what I did before for my first few nights, 1 layer of dirt and log piles on top for walls.  To deal with spiders I'd place one row of logs down the middle as a roof.  Simple and easy enough to take down until I found a place to settle.  Though as Kitty suggested digging under a boulder or into clay makes for a great first shelter.

I tend to build dirt+wood huts, waypoint them and leave them wherever I make them. Sometimes leave a large cdramic vessel inside with some stuff too. Those are really helpful later on if you want to explore- I already have a nice set of huts a day worth of walking apart. Also those make great mining outposts :P

And before you find sheep, it is really great to be able to travel from spawn to home relatively safe.

Also wood is not that expensive, and you don't need much for such thing.

Logs are easier to get then you'd think simply go for the tall trees, and for the first day, just focus on gathering materials for a shelter. You can afford to starve for a day and a night, and it'll take time to gather and smelt ores for metal tools, so when you find crops, animals, or ores, just remember the location, then ignore them, focusing on gathering materials and finding a nice place to hunker down in. The animals, crops, and ores will still be there the next day, but the items you gathered might not be, especially if you wandered a bit too far and died. 

Also, keep a eye on the terrain, as you might be able find a shelter practically all made for you, which can save a lot of time. Clay deposits still make an excellent shelter, especially on a hill/cliffside, and grass is(if I recall correctly) gravity-resistant as well as long as something doesn't step on it, so digging into a small hill can make a fine temporary shelter until you gather enough resources to make a better one, or reinforce it to make it a more permanent shelter. Small caves also make great shelter, as you only need to cover the entrance, and maybe the back, if it's a long one, which won't take as much resources as building a entire shelter, and has the added bonus of allowing you to have indoor pit kilns without burning down your shelter

If you couldn't find a nice place like a clay deposit, and couldn't gather enough resources, you can also put up log pillars a block apart, then fill the space between them with sand, dirt, or gravel to make a nice solid wall. Or, you could also put logs in a x pattern and fill the gaps with thatch to prevent skeletons from shooting through it, like this:

LTLTL

TLTLT

LTLTL   L=log, T=thatch

Thatch still makes a fine roofing since spiders rarely wander all the way to your hose, up the wall, and through the thatch unless it's chasing you.

Finally, don't get greedy and make big shelters. Keep in mind how many resources you have, and how much more you can gather before sunset, then plan out your shelter accordingly. You can make houses as big as you want later, but in the beginning, all you want is a place to store things and not have to look over your shoulder every ten seconds.

My advice, watch Dunk's day 1 tutorial on the Tutorials section. My first house pretty much always looks like that now.

Cobble stone from pebbles is also an option for your first level of your house, as is dirt/sand/gravel. Obviously you can't use it for the second level.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/7237-b79-with-dunk/

My first day shelter usually is a 2-deep cliff in square shape. It's very easy to make on any flat surface of dirt: dig a 1 deep trench in an at least 5x5 square (advise larger so you can spend your night baking ceramics), then rise the ground in the middle square by 1 - you might need to put down a log in corner briefly so the dirt won't slide off into the trench.

Monsters cannot pass this, but you can easily jump through. If spiders are a problem you can also dig a 1 deep hole in the center and corner it with logs. Impervious.

I spend most my time in the first few days roaming for seeds, bushes and other key starting resources.

I used to use the thatch to make small camps along the way, but since there no longer solid i have been jump stacking with pumpkins and abusing zombie pathfinding in water body's. Anything else usually takes up to much time/inventory space when your roaming that early game (in my opinion anyways), even more so if you want to focus on getting good jars and other ceramics asap.

Hey, does anybody know if a forge will start my roof on fire? I have it setup so there's an opening inside the house, but the main chimney is built from stone. Should I be ok? Same with pit kilns?

A forge is safe, but a pit kiln will definitely start fires (using the normal rules for fire spread).

No you need to use vessel or crucible.