Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulion

animals breed naturally

9 posts in this topic

This might make TFC more believable than having them pop up out of no where,also i find it rediculous to have the sheep like me before they like eachother

I'm pretty sure this would in the end be a very bad idea.  I recall the horse apocalypse where every female horse spawned pregnant I think even when born a female horse would be pregnant.  Creating a lot of lag on servers.  Horses everywhere.  Your suggestion would multiple that ten-fold, in my SSP I have many wild animals in the area around me (Pigs/Wolves/Deer/Horses) Where 2 or 3 pigs become 8-12, then next year 20-60. (Assuming 1 female pig to start then a small litter of 8 pigs with half of them being female.)

The game would become unplayable.

As for the second point, I honestly like the additional game play mechanic adding another layer to animal care and maintenance.

what if there where limitations as to how many animals of a certain species could be in one region, and they would breed until they just overpass that limit and then stop. 

or maybe an animal only breeds once every spring, and population was kept down by wolves and bears as well as the player.

an interesting mechanic would be animals dying of natural causes or disease to keep population down.

of course the player could still breed them himself if he wanted a big farm of them. 

animals can die of starvation,and im also saying the predators will breed as well,keeping the population down,but its unbelievable that a species has to depend on steve to actually survive,and must love him before they love each other

I'm pretty sure animals can't die of starvation and there is no guarantee that a predator will also spawn nearby.  I don't disagreeing with the principal of the thing, wild animals should be able to breed in order to be believable/realistic however I simply feel/think it will break the game.

To princeofmadness, there is already a limit written into the vanilla code.  The Disappearing Sheep See Kitty's posts.

Edit: It just occurred to me you might mean to add a mechanic to allow animals to die of starvation, that would create other problems. What if you can't find grain? What if you just have very little grain, only enough to feed 1 animal? If you have a large farm how do you make sure you've actually feed all your animals?  You could easily find yourself in a tough spot early game with as few as 2 animals.

It's talked about here Animal Feeding Trough briefly I think.  This sums up my thoughts on the matter of 'animal hunger'

make animal hunger important but not devastating.

But that is a whole other topic.

I like this idea not because of the reason you gave, but because it would allow players to utilize hunting as a more reliable method rather than having animals spawn. It would encourage the player to take note of packs of animals. However, unloaded chunks may inhibit animals breeding in the wilderness away from the player.All in all, it would work great if it was a large area that was repopulated over a course of time

Not sure how this would be feasible in a world that loads and unloads the way MC does. Bioxx has mentioned that he would like to introduce animal migrations.

I'm pretty sure animals can't die of starvation and there is no guarantee that a predator will also spawn nearby.  I don't disagreeing with the principal of the thing, wild animals should be able to breed in order to be believable/realistic however I simply feel/think it will break the game.

To princeofmadness, there is already a limit written into the vanilla code.  The Disappearing Sheep See Kitty's posts.

Edit: It just occurred to me you might mean to add a mechanic to allow animals to die of starvation, that would create other problems. What if you can't find grain? What if you just have very little grain, only enough to feed 1 animal? If you have a large farm how do you make sure you've actually feed all your animals?  You could easily find yourself in a tough spot early game with as few as 2 animals.

It's talked about here Animal Feeding Trough briefly I think.  This sums up my thoughts on the matter of 'animal hunger'

But that is a whole other topic.

i'm not talking about vanilla mechanics as far as how many can exist, i'm talking about a limit as to how many times they breed on their own before population reaches a reasonable point.

and for natural causes i mean old age and disease not necessarily starvation, but that too could add an interesting mechanic like say during the winter some of them die off because there isn't enough tall grass for them to eat or something.

His point about vanilla mechanics is that there are some limits due to the way vanilla works and is coded.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0