Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pwnlord

Time indicator for Torches

10 posts in this topic

You can right-click Torches. This does nothing, but can be done.

What if, when you clicked them, it'd give you an indicator of the torch's health?

"This torch is burning merrily."

"This torch is burning."

"This torch is burning slowly."

"This torch is smouldering."

"This torch is almost out."

Relighting it at any point other than Burning Merrily resets it to Burning Merrily.

Right-clicking torches puts them out in 79.14 if you aren't holding a stick or torch.

Right-clicking torches with a torch (even if they are still burning) has reset the timer since 79.12

if you want to be real fancy you could tweak the amount of particles and the colour of the torch as they go along dying

I don't really see the point. If you are already are next to the torch, you can just relight it or put it out if you need to.

However, I think it would be useful if you could see that message over distant torches when sneaking or something. Then you could tell if you need to tend to the torches or not and potentially save some time.

I like the idea of a visual measurement of roughly how much time is left for your torch to burn. Maybe the flame particles could shrink over time until it burns out? I could be helpful, especiallly if you have your torches configured to last longer than the default 48 in game hours.

As I see it Kittychanley is mostly correct.  If you are close enough to a torch to 'check' it that way, you're obviously going to just refresh it fully.

Following that logic, if you're walking around (or taking a mine cart) /holding/ a torch, presumably any torch within range should also be similarly topped off.

If you /linger/ near a torch, say during a TFC world tick (which I remember hearing are fairly infrequent) with active torches anywhere in your (normal) inventory then that should probably also top off those torches which are in range.

However what about torches that are out of range? I think for those torches something more obvious should happen client side.  This might be less 'flame' and more (noticeable) smoke rising.  It might be a visual (only) flicker effect of some kind.  I personally like the increasing smoke to flame particle ratio.  There might be other ideas, but I think that's where the focus of a visual indication should be.

Clientside lag and a large amount of dev time for a feature that honestly rewards laziness. Especially since there is that lovely config to increase how long they burn or to turn it off. There is the lovely lantern add-on.

The ability to reset torch timers. It is believable and realistic to have torches burn out. It isn't really believable or realistic that they can continually be relit and last forever. It is certainly not believable or realistic that they magically relight/reset when you are near them. The only thing I could see as plausible is that torch burn time be influenced by the spawn protection variable.

In general I don't understand the need to light up the entire world. The mobs aren't that scary or difficult. If you don't like them go to peaceful, if you sometimes want mobs, but not while building toggle it.

There are lots of options for everyone to easily tweak things up be more like they want. With all the features the devs want to add I definitely would not choose to have their time spent on this.

The idea is more that the creation of replacement torches and the re-filling of sconces is such a trivial task once you have any form of tree farming in place that simply /being/ there is considered sufficient 'effort' to execute that maintenance.  It would also only effect the area within actual /reach/ of the player.  This would mostly mean that work areas and domiciles would be lit.  However the 'torch in hand' rule would also make things like going down a mine shaft re-light all the torches.

So why have you not just added the lanterns (now decoration) add-on to add ascetically pleasing permanent lights to your home? Then you don't even need to worry about them after the initial effort of creating them.

I'm looking forward to body temperature, more animals, more skills, animal migrations, weather etc. So how would you justify the time invested in this feature?

You are speaking as if those who disagree as if we also don't have to relight our torches. I assure you my torch config is default and I play on Hard. I have a few lanterns in my house and forge area. I'll admit to being lazy and using pumpkins in my attic. Much of my land is unlit and I find relighting my mines an easy task since I'm walking by the torches that matter anyways.

You seem to be /entirely/ missing the point of my suggestion for this idea.

If there's going to be any change at all to torch behavior (from what it now is) I suggest the following.

Visual indication: Should only matter for /distant/ torches (I made two suggestions on what might show that visually).  Why?  Because as Kitty has already noted, the act of 'checking' a near by torch relights it.

Relighting modes:  Instead of forcing torches within distance to be re-lit by explicit action, it also makes sense that walking around holding a torch indicates you're fulfilling the job of a Lamplighter.  In that mode it makes sense that the player's presence would refresh the torches (instead of making them decay).  This would be useful for cases like where Pakratt is going down the mining tunnel in the cart.  There's also the fact that inside your own work area you are likely to keep torches lit (when within reach).

No where have I suggested keeping vast fields of torches lit, as you seem to continuously delude your self in to thinking I mean.