Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guibix

[Solved] Graphite only spawns in schist

25 posts in this topic

Version: 0.79+

SSP/SMP: Single Player

Suggested Category: Ore generation

Description:

Graphite only spawns in schist rock. Marble, gneiss and quartzite don’t have graphite. I tried to find it in a few seeds with external software (minutor and mcEdit) and confirm that.

Have you deleted your config files and are still able to reproduce this bug? Yes.

And I confirm that the config ore file have all four types of rocks, but doesn't work.

Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed? Yes

I’ve Lanterns 1.0.42, MapWriter 2.1.2 and Fastcraft 1.9, but I tried without mods with same result.

Thanks!

Is graphite the only ore that isn't properly spawning in all its listed stone types, or are there any other ores doing the same? Nothing has been changed specifically with graphite, so it would be very odd if it was the only ore affected.

I found graphite in marble the other day. It seems you just got unlucky. Also not every stone layer has to have every ore that can spawn in given stone type.

I found graphite in marble the other day. It seems you just got unlucky. Also not every stone layer has to have every ore that can spawn in given stone type.

Could you provide the world seed and coordinates as proof please? I've had a few people report this, but all it takes is one case to disprove the report.

I thought I had proof of non-schist graphite, but I seemed to have found a small pile of schist in an otherwise gneiss area.

Further evidence that something is wrong. Only adjustment was to change rarity of graphite to 2, so one in every 2 chunks.  I couldn't find quartzite, but this is other 3. I verified that no graphite in these locations under default spawning conditions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Only could find in schist and in the expected amount.

I'll ask again. Can you please test if this is happening with any ore other than graphite? Graphite has no special code from the other ores, so there is no explanation for why it would only be happening to graphite. If somebody can please confirm that another ore isn't spawning in all of its correct stone layers, then there is a bigger underlying cause for this.

Sorry limited time for testing since kids woke up. So far everything else seems fine.

The calls for categories as far as I can tell are fine.

For single rock types all seem to be working except graphite, however I haven't looked at all of them. Can't find quartzite or limestone to test, didn't get to test for silver in gneiss yet

Found nickel, cryolite, kimberlite, borax, sylvite, malachite, lapis and silver (in granite).

I plan to change another ore to have graphite generation, with boosted rate. See if it shows same pattern. Tried with nickel, but didn't get it anywhere, so think I must have screwed up.

Will try to do more later.

Sorry, I've been busy

Thank you for your comments, but I think that only happen with graphite. The rest of ores spawns normally.

In fact, in my case, graphite don’t spawn in marble, gneiss or quartzite.

For experimentation, I tried to generate seeds with value 5 of rarity in graphite entrance on config ore file. The result in schist on arbitrary layer (with minutor software) was the expected:

Posted Image

In a seed with quartzite (for example. Marble and gneiss get the same result), with the same config file, the result was this

Posted Image

I tried the same experiment a lot of times in a lot of seeds in all layers, and no matter what seed choose. I think that is a bug. I don’t know why that happen, but is a fact: graphite (in my case) only spawns in schist.

Obviously, graphite in my config ore file has all four types of rock, but don't work in three of them for some other reason.

Thanks.

PD: Ah, I do not I missed any ore, and playing, I always find each other. But I have not sought explicitly.

Ok, I think I've figured it out. The reason it is only happening with graphite, and not with any other ore is that graphite is the only ore whose baseRocks entries are individual stones that are all in the same category (Metamorphic). For every other ore, such as cryolite, the individual stones listed belong to separate categories.

Edit: Yep, that was the problem. Just loaded up a new test world after fixing how it handled that special case, and I found some graphite spawned in marble.

So just as confirmation to my understanding, graphite has only been spawning in schist this whole build thus far?

Correct. All other ores and minerals are spawning as intended though. And after 79.15 releases and people update, graphite will only spawn in the non-schist stone types in newly generated terrain.

Any information, when this issue appeared, from what release/build? b78? b79.14 only?

This can be important for servers with pre-generated worlds, to understand if lack of graphite should be expected for players.

I.e. if the issue was introduced in b79.14, and the world was generated in e.g. b79.10, then no problem with rarity of graphite for the server players.

It definitely an issue that started in build 79. My 78 world I never found schist and had lots of graphite. I can only say that 79.7 onward had this issue.

The ore generation code has not been touched since the port to Minecraft 1.7, so this bug is in all builds starting from 79.0

Thank you, Kittychanley, Bunsan, Guibix! Sad news, but knowledge is power. :)

Would it be possible to add retro-active ore gen for this please? I know there are some pretty large worlds that have already been generated, including the one on our server, that would greatly benefit from this.

Would it be possible to add retro-active ore gen for this please? I know there are some pretty large worlds that have already been generated, including the one on our server, that would greatly benefit from this.

We have many players that enjoy our server with over 2 months of work in developing the world for players.  We would greatly appreciate a retro-active ore gen if possible.  Many players would benefit on many servers and I know we would be grateful as well.

Unfortunately, due to TFC's custom ore generation, retro-active ore gen really just isn't feasible. Without making a complicated system that would only delay the .15 by much longer (weeks if not a month) there really isn't any way to get it to retro-actively generate one single mineral, and if we did it with all of the ores/minerals instead, it would just result in a huge mess. The mineral is still spawning in schist rock, so it isn't likely your players have absolutely no access to it. Simply put out an announcement to your players that if they are looking for graphite, they shouldn't bother looking in any stone type other than schist. Your other options are to go through your map and delete any chunks that have graphite-spawning stone, but players have not built on, to regenerate them. If players are having such a hard time finding it, you could also set up some sort of admin shop near spawn, or if you are on a set-size pre-generated map, you could always expand the border to generate some new chunks for players to search in.

I hate pestering, but is there an estimated time .15 will be released to fix this issue?

I've given Dunk a deadline of January 13th, since that is when I go back to class, but I honestly hope he finishes his stuff so we can release before then. If you want it to release sooner, the person you should be pestering is Dunk, and you should be pestering him a lot.

I've given Dunk a deadline of January 13th, since that is when I go back to class, but I honestly hope he finishes his stuff so we can release before then. If you want it to release sooner, the person you should be pestering is Dunk, and you should be pestering him a lot.

Haha, sounds good. I appreciate the quick response!

Unfortunately, due to TFC's custom ore generation, retro-active ore gen really just isn't feasible. Without making a complicated system that would only delay the .15 by much longer (weeks if not a month) there really isn't any way to get it to retro-actively generate one single mineral, and if we did it with all of the ores/minerals instead, it would just result in a huge mess. The mineral is still spawning in schist rock, so it isn't likely your players have absolutely no access to it. Simply put out an announcement to your players that if they are looking for graphite, they shouldn't bother looking in any stone type other than schist. Your other options are to go through your map and delete any chunks that have graphite-spawning stone, but players have not built on, to regenerate them. If players are having such a hard time finding it, you could also set up some sort of admin shop near spawn, or if you are on a set-size pre-generated map, you could always expand the border to generate some new chunks for players to search in.

Thank you for your time. We'll take that under advisement and see what we can do.

Just a FYI. I was curious if WE could be used to get graphite to generate in the proper place using the //regen command. This would allow players/servers to more easily regenerate chunks to give them a chance to generate ore. It also makes it much easier to work around developed areas. Sadly it does not work. //regen does regenerate it back to what it was at first, but it does not call the TFC ore generation. So it will not cause graphite to generate and will also strip out all TFC ores.  Just thought I'd let people know.

It's been absolutely forever since I've done it, but I'm fairly certain that MCEdit has the ability to delete chunk data so that an area can be regenerated (commonly used for fixing corrupted chunks). While the server does have to be down in order to do that process, it should be a lot faster than trying to calculate which section of the .region files need to be deleted.