Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
AA6556

Soups.

11 posts in this topic

I have been playing TFC for a while now and I installed the NEI mod and NEI TFC plugin and noticed something weird. Well not weird but... Different. I saw on the last page of NEI some items named soup. One of them had a fire texture and the rest of them had the old meal textures. I read an old post long ago about different meal types. Sandwhiches and Salads were 2 of them and they got added. Soup was another one. Since soups are "technically" in the game hopefully it will be a b80 feature.

What do you all think about that?

I would love to have that :P

That's all peoples.

I have no evidence to support this but I'm sure its coming, soup seems like it would fit perfectly in the food system and it would be a good way to stretch food if its is scarce.

I agree, I cant point out where exactly but I'd say its on its way

Cooking soup or stew in a water-filled ceramic vessel? Seems legit

Ceramic pots were for this originally I believe

Now all we need is a gigantic spoon and a system to be able to stew gourmet soups :D

soups and stews were amongst some of the first types of prepared foods in human history. using a clay vessel one could easily make a soup, porridge or stew that could be consumed to improve both hydration as well as nutrition. personally though if it were to be included I would have to also include a simple vegetable request (peas) as well because it not only is amongst one of the oldest soups but happens also to be my favorite type of porridge as well! 

Peas porridge hot! Peas porridge cold! Peas porridge in the pot nine days old! Some like it hot! Some like it cold! Some like it in the pot nine days old!

This very old rhyme exists because porridge was actually kept in a large vessel over a fire and food was simply added to it over time. What the nine days refers to is those who like what became of the porridge after having been continuously heated, hydrated, new veggies added, more meat of possibly different types etc and to be Honest I actually enjoy Peas Porridge in the pot nine days old. Oh great... now I am hungry. Good thing I saved the hambone mmmmmm.

I'm not a historian so I could be very wrong, but to my knowledge, stew and soups, for a long time, was a meal for the poor(well, I guess sorta, like the cabbage stews and pea soup and such, not any fancy meat stew or whatever), and a way to stretch food supplies.

You could easily feed many people by dumping what food you had in the pot with plenty of water and boiling it, and the liquid would more or less 'swell' the amount of food you got.(Ok, so a bowl of slightly-radish flavored water wasn't very nutritious, sure, but hey, it fills your stomach[shrugs])

Currently salads are the simplest kind of meals, which can be made straight from the stone age, and sandwiches are a more advanced type of meal, which is made in the metal age.

So here's how I think soups/stews could be implemented.

Creation:

You would get a ceramic vessel, and put it on top of a firepit to make a cooking pot.

The pot would have a slot for adding water, a liquid inventory for water/soup, and five ingredient slots.

Once you add the water and ingredients, all ingredients would be used up to make the stew.

You would be able to use raw, refined grains as a ingredient for soup.

The amount of soup you get would depend on the amount of water, rather then the amount of ingredients in the soup, and the more water you add in, the weaker the taste if the resulting stew would be, meaning that if you put a large amount of water and little food to make soup, the soup will have very weak taste, and most will not find it tasty.

Stew would restore a little thirst and the same amount of hunger as a food of the same weight, so it could be used to stretch food supplies(a 10 ounce piece of pork, when dumped in enough water, could end up as say, 100oz of soup[or ultra-thin broth I suppose] or more, drastically stretching your food supplies), but it will restore nearly no nutrition, so a diet of thin stew would keep you going, but not be all that better then not eating at all.

However, the higher the food-to-water ratio, the 'thicker' the stew would be, and the thicker the stew, the more nutrients it would restore, so in theory, while soup could be the ultimate 'poor man's food' by adding minimum ingredients, it could also be the ultimate luxury food by adding tons of ingredients in it.

The problem with this is that the current food system has no way of supporting "nutrition density." Everytime you eat that amount of food restores the same amount of that category of nutrient as everything else. The only reason that soups and sandwiches appear to be more "nutrient dense" is because they also give saturation, and that saturation amount is also factored into the nutrient gain. In order for us to implement soups with little to no nutrient value, they'd have to essentially have negative saturation, meaning that you'll be more hungry after eating them than before.

okay okay, so when you eat salads and sandwiches you push back the "hungry effect" (food bar decreasing) more effectively than just by eating the same quantity of vegetables/grains/fruits alone

Does that mean that a meal with, say, 2 oz. of veggies will restore the same amount of veggie nutrition as a meal with 10 oz. of veggies?