Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CycloneSP

Durability

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I've been wondering what is the point of making anything past steel(black red and blue) because I hear that it is very costly to make such metals.

What exactly is the durability of each metal? I've tried checking the wiki, but alas it is missing a lot of information.

On one of the topics down here Bioxx said something like: "they are worth it, but i'm not going to give you the exact numbers"

I'm not going to give actual numbers but there's a ~30-40% increase in durability from Steel to Black Steel. You also need to then factor in the fact that the speed of breaking rocks also increases the higher tier that you go. Also the enchantability once I get to that point. Overall the tools are a solid increase at each tier. The question yet again comes down to, do you want to spend the time needed to make those tools to use every day. It takes a ton of ore to make the anvils etc that are required so its not cheap.

For SMP, if you have a dedicated smith who loves to smith stuff then its not such an issue, esp with several miners and bloomeries running. For SSP everything is much harder.

Huh, interesting. Not quite certain why he wouldn't want us to know the exact numbers. I like to weigh costs and benefits in order to determine the best course of action. And if I don't have solid info, then I can't make the best decision. *shrugs* meh, guess it's not really worth the amount of steel then. Especially since I can get max protection with only 3 pieces of plain steel armor. I was really hoping there would be a significant benefit from investing the time and resources into acquiring the highest tier metals.

Because he doesn't want TFC to be a numbers game, but a game of skill and experimentation.

Huh, interesting. Not quite certain why he wouldn't want us to know the exact numbers. I like to weigh costs and benefits in order to determine the best course of action. And if I don't have solid info, then I can't make the best decision. *shrugs* meh, guess it's not really worth the amount of steel then. Especially since I can get max protection with only 3 pieces of plain steel armor. I was really hoping there would be a significant benefit from investing the time and resources into acquiring the highest tier metals.

This is easy.

Let's take that 30%~40% as a 35% increase in durability, for the sake of argument.

Assuming I read the Wiki correctly:

8 Steel Swords == 8 2xSteel Ingot == 16 Steel Ingots == 12 Wrought Iron Ingots + 4 Pig Iron Ingots == 16 Pig Iron Ingots

8 Black Steel Swords == 8 2xBlack Steel Ingot == 16 Black Steel Ingots == 16 High Carbon Black Steel Ingots == 16 Weak Black Steel Ingots + 16 Pig Iron Ingots == 8 Steel + 4 Nickel + 4 Black Bronze + 16 Pig Iron == 6 Wrought Iron + 2 Pig Iron + 4 Nickel + 4 Black Bronze + 16 Pig Iron == 6 Pig Iron + 2 Pig Iron + 4 Nickel + 4 Black Bronze + 16 Pig Iron == 24 Pig Iron + 4 Nickel + 4 Black Bronze == 24 Pig Iron + 4 Nickel + 2 Copper + 1 Silver + 1 Gold == 32 Ingots total

Black Steel consumes 150% more Iron than Steel, along with Nickel, Copper, Silver and Gold. For about 35% more durability, and an increase in speed breaking blocks.

Basically, if you can make it, make it. It's worth it.

Because he doesn't want TFC to be a numbers game, but a game of skill and experimentation.

Not even Shakespeare could have said that better.

Agreed.

I think Shakespeare actually good say it better... (In his own way of course!)

For the game not be designed for the feint of heart and youth-like minds of those from noble descent but for one to venture forth and experience on whole a wealth of knowledge that should be taken with care. The enlightenment attained from methods taught by those more experienced should be naught more than a stepping stone.

Okay maybe that was a little much heheh.

For the game not be designed for the feint of heart and youth-like minds of those from noble descent but for one to venture forth and experience on whole a wealth of knowledge that should be taken with care. The enlightenment attained from methods taught by those more experienced should be naught more than a stepping stone.

I like it. I'm quoting that for my sig.

I like it. I'm quoting that for my sig.

You actually quoted it...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0