Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conoreva

Better Logging?

17 posts in this topic

So, I was thinking of some ideas what would suit this mod, I came up with a few but all of them looked pretty hard to code.

So I just wanted to share 1 of the ideas I came up with.

So, You get your flint tool/Axe/Whatever and you cut down the tree. It falls into a pile of wood. With my Idea instead of it just breaking into a pile of wood. How about the face you Cut down the tree Will have a cut mark and will start to fall down where you hit it.And it falls down to the ground (If on hill rolls down) (If falls on house or building it will break the roof and wall where it would fall) You gather the wood from the Fallen wood.

love the idea. however that would probably cause a metric tonne of bugs :P

And the coding involved... omg...

lol ya was thinking same thing

lol ya was thinking same thing

Well if we just added the mob dying animation to the tree

it wont be so hard...

Only that we will need to make the tree stay when it falls so we can collect it.

So, I was thinking of some ideas what would suit this mod, I came up with a few but all of them looked pretty hard to code.

So I just wanted to share 1 of the ideas I came up with.

So, You get your flint tool/Axe/Whatever and you cut down the tree. It falls into a pile of wood. With my Idea instead of it just breaking into a pile of wood. How about the face you Cut down the tree Will have a cut mark and will start to fall down where you hit it.And it falls down to the ground (If on hill rolls down) (If falls on house or building it will break the roof and wall where it would fall) You gather the wood from the Fallen wood.

Sorry dude but coding such thing would be like building a matchstick castle without glue in middle of earthquake.

Sorry dude but coding such thing would be like building a matchstick castle without glue in middle of earthquake.

I did say at the beginning That it will be hard coding stuff :3

Well if we just added the mob dying animation to the tree

it wont be so hard...

Only that we will need to make the tree stay when it falls so we can collect it.

It's not even remotely that simple. That would require all the trees to be completely re-coded so they can even use an animation. As it stands, the trees are blocks which are part of the world. Mobs are entities that inhabit the world (and are not blocks).

And you would need sideways textures for the fallen logs.

It's not even remotely that simple. That would require all the trees to be completely re-coded so they can even use an animation. As it stands, the trees are blocks which are part of the world. Mobs are entities that inhabit the world (and are not blocks).

Yes i understand this...

it would take time to code all the trees into entities when the bottom part of the log to be struck down... and then we would need a sideways block of each log but that is what the new forge hooks are for when they come out, and then all we would need where textures...

All i am saying is that it is difficult to code. And i am just giving advice to alleviate the process. But if all trees where stiff entities you would still be able to hit them with an axe ,just like you would with a zombie to kill it but just that it wouldn't give off the red hurt layer on it. When the new forge version comes out this add-on can be made with no sweat (well maybe some considering and the recode of all trees...).

But if they're entities you could cake them out with all your other tools, blocks, even your fists. You'd then have to re-code the mobs so that the specific tree mob only takes damage from the axe/flint tool. And the point of how he coded the trees was that you can't chop down a tree bare handed or with the javelin. It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but it seems to me like more work than it's worth.

But if they're entities you could cake them out with all your other tools, blocks, even your fists. You'd then have to re-code the mobs so that the specific tree mob only takes damage from the axe/flint tool. And the point of how he coded the trees was that you can't chop down a tree bare handed or with the javelin. It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but it seems to me like more work than it's worth.

Well hopefully this would be simpler in the future but for now lets just enjoy the mod the way it is.. for now...

How about when you chop down a tree, instead of all the blocks being destroyed, they enable physics on themselves (eg. sand and gravel) and fall downwards. You would still have to cut up all the dropped logs into 'manageable pieces'.

The blocks above the removed block could even be given a random sideways movement, to avoid leaving a trunk still standing.

Also, you'd have to stand back for some trees. (Kapok :P)

I've thought about this as well, and though I realize it would take quite some work and maybe not be that big a difference, it'd be quite cool!

If I were to do it, I would try along these lines:

1. Tree is blocks as usual.

2. When tree is chopped, the chopped off part becomes an entity.

3. The entity falls over.

4. The entity turns back to blocks when it has stopped moving.

It's not perfect, and in slopes it might not look very good, but I think it's doable. If someone's interested a good place to start might be to take a look at the ships and boats mod which converts a group of blocks -> entity -> group of blocks, since the source is available and GPL:ed.

An alternative might be to let the fallen trunk stay an entity, I haven't looked at the internals so I don't know all complications that might mean, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make them take damage only from axes or saws.

It's not hard coding it's smart coding, just like above said.

Have it programmed that it walks (rolls) only X blocks, or stop if it comes to a block higher then the one it "rolls" from.

When it stops transforms to tree blocks and tadaaa

Again, it IS a lot easier said than done and the end result doesn't seem to be, as I would say, worth it.

I have a similar idea. Thus was mentioned somewhere but how about when you broke a wood block, all the logs and leaves that were part of that tree turned to a different block. That was exactly the same as normal wood and leaves except affected by gravity. So you would break one wood, the rest of the tree would collapse and you could harvest the wood.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0