Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kev12east

[Won't Fix] 0.79.15 Tree Chopping Crash

3 posts in this topic

Version #: 0.79.15.538

SSP/SMP (Single/MultiPlayer): SMP

Suggested Name: Tree Choppin' Crash

Suggested Category: Severe

Description: When chopping a tree with an ax that does not have enough durability to cut down a tree [who's leaves enter another chunk]*, the server will crash. (Most commonly experienced chopping sequoias)

Have you deleted your config files and are still able to reproduce this bug?: Yes
*If you answered no to the above question, delete your config files and try to reproduce the bug.
*This question is here because many bugs are caused by mistakes in config files. All bug reports should have an answer of "Yes" to this question.

Do you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed?: Yes

If yes, which mods? Admin Commands Toolbox, Archimedes Ships, AsieLib, Bibliocraft, Carpenter's Blocks, Code Chicken Core, Computronics, CoroUtil, Enhanced Server Moderation, Enviromine, Iguana Tweaks, Item Physic, IvTooolkit, Minetweaker, Modtweaker, Not Enough Items, Electrical Age, Open Computers, PlayerAPI, Quadrum, SmartCore, SmartMoving, Thut Mods, Weather 2, Ye Gamol Chattels, TFC Lanterns Addon, TFC Leather Water Sac addon, TFC Merchants Addon, TFC Udary Addon, colorchat, and worldedit (Forge version)

If you have Optifine or Cauldron installed, can you still reproduce the bug after uninstalling them? Yes
*If you answered no to the above question, uninstall Optifine/Cauldron and try to reproduce the bug.
*Both Optifine and Cauldron edit the base classes of forge that TFC uses. Because of this, we cannot officially support any issues that happen only when these mods are installed.
*In the majority of cases, TFC is not causing the bug; Optifine/Cauldron is and TFC can do nothing to fix it.
*All bug reports should have an answer of "Yes" to this question.
*If you refuse to uninstall Optifine/Cauldron, and cannot reproduce the bug when the mods are not installed, do not bother making a bug report, as it will be locked and ignored.

Pastebin.com link of the Crash Reporthttp://pastebin.com/uHxKbVZ3

* Does not appear to be the cause, happens with any tree, seemingly at random

The sequoia chopping crash has been in TFC in various variations for as long as sequoias have existed. The fact of the matter is that it is caused by the system not being able to handle all of the block updates all at once. All it takes is for the game to lag and not properly remove one of the leaf blocks, and this crash happens. There is honestly nothing we can really do to fix this other than remove the large sequoia trees from the game.

Edit: From the crash report it appears that you have the bare minimum required amount of memory allocated, and you aren't using any JVM arguments to help with garbage collection. Changing either of those will help with performance, therefore decreasing lag and the chances of this crash happening.

In encountering this issue myself and being a professional programmer I have a conceptual fix which I have yet to code but may assist in both this specific issue as well as reducing overall lag with tree harvesting in general. you could simply break the tree in segments by calling each layer to break one at a time as opposed to triggering the entire tree to break simultaneously.  no matter the size of tree, each layer could be called and replaced with the item form needed. another optimization could be to allow the loop to cluster the wood into stacks allowing for less entities to be created, again reducing lag. this is just a concept at this point so please let me know if this is doable within your code as I have yet to delve into the source at all.

The sequoia chopping crash has been in TFC in various variations for as long as sequoias have existed. The fact of the matter is that it is caused by the system not being able to handle all of the block updates all at once. All it takes is for the game to lag and not properly remove one of the leaf blocks, and this crash happens. There is honestly nothing we can really do to fix this other than remove the large sequoia trees from the game.

Edit: From the crash report it appears that you have the bare minimum required amount of memory allocated, and you aren't using any JVM arguments to help with garbage collection. Changing either of those will help with performance, therefore decreasing lag and the chances of this crash happening.