Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
iPotato13

Use for Obsidian?

21 posts in this topic

Hello TerraFirmaCrafters!

Obsidian, while extremely rare and very time-consuming to collect, is in the game and not doing anything useful at the bottom of oceans. Does anyone have any ideas for obsidian weapons or armors as an end-game thing? Leave ideas down below!

-iPotato

Obsidian is actually an extremely brittle material, and would likely break very easily. If anything, uses for it would likely just be decorative.

It does create an incredibly sharp edge, and was prized by almost every civilization or tribe that could get their hands on it.

Both of you are correct. Obsidian, quite crudely, is "lava glass". Could there be another use for obsidian that doesn't involve actions that could shatter said material?

Boat anchor, since it likes being at the bottom of the ocean so much.

Perhaps a millstone because of its extreme hardness. This would also make it extremely difficult to shape, but hey it's a game.

We could make one of those club-sword thingys that where used by (I think) Incas, or obsidian arrowheads for obsidian arrows, which could be less retrievable than stone arrows, but slightly stronger.

The best use for obsidian would be to use it as it as a special stone for making arrows, javelins , knives and axes (slicing and percing). Make their damage twice as much as the best stone damage, and give it half the uses.

Except that in order to harvest obsidian you need high enough metal tools to make the obsidian tools pointless.

Also a obsidian axe would be impractical. The properties of it make it good for a slicing motion, not the blunt cut of an axe.

Obsidian is actually an extremely brittle material, and would likely break very easily. If anything, uses for it would likely just be decorative.

Mayans and aztecs made obsidian knives, spears, and arrow tips, not to mention the artisanship

Posted Image

Posted Image

Were obsidian weapons used regularly against armoured foes? How did they fair. I can't imagine even obsidian arrows or spears being very effective against a metal armour. So the question would be where would they fit in? You need to be decently advanced to collect it and yet there efficacy would be surpassed at that point.

Instead of a new material for current tools, perhaps a new tool where an incredibly sharp blade is required. I could see the properties being useful in advanced agriculture, grafting etc. leather working or something with textiles. I don't quite know what tasks in TFC would need an incredibly sharp blade that is best for scraping and slicing. And I don't see it just being a knife material since it would seem difficult to code it to work for knife task A, but not B.

Well indians used no armor... and the spainards did well against them, so... maybe useless.

Obsidian as a tool seems pointless, but what if they can be added to, say, an axe or pickaxe to add certain properties? Or a sword to make it deadlier? Crude enchantments

Not saying it should be done, neither saying it is needed.I like the mod to be based in real life.

Now the question is witch obsidian is she talking about? For sure is not the one in the game.

So if we going to use the argument that obsidian breaks too easy shouldnt it actually be easy to break?

If we could break obsidian with a stone axe or hammer, it would totally make sense to use obsidian tools, that would be just an improvement over stone tools.

The way I see is a overlooking on the part of the Devs to have obsidian so hard to acquire. If we should have obsidian tools and weapons added to the game, I don't Know if is worth, at least until a lot more content was added to stone age to justify another stone age tech.

On the least I think obsidian should have it's characteristics changed to be very brittle, so the argument would have merit.

The way I see is a overlooking on the part of the Devs to have obsidian so hard to acquire. If we should have obsidian tools and weapons added to the game, I don't Know if is worth, at least until a lot more content was added to stone age to justify another stone age tech.

Obsidian isn't hard to obtain in TFC. All it takes is a copper pickaxe, and it pretty much breaks like butter considering the block's hardness level is about on par with raw TFC stone. It's a vanilla block, which has it's tool set to pickaxe, so unless we make a new TFC obsidian block, we can't really change the default tool that is required to break it.

Obsidian was highly desired for paleolithic and mesolithic knapped knives and arrowheads. It could also be ground and polished to make the superior neolithic polished stone tools, but other stone types were much easier to grind and polish and didn't fracture as much during use so it was used mostly for decorative objects (bowls, etc.).

Applying real-life to in-game, there's really no reason that obsidian blocks couldn't be broken/mined with stone tools such as hammers (people used to mine flint and other tool stones with picks made from antlers or horns). The obsidian "rocks" could be used to make tools, just like any other rocks, perhaps with a damage boost for knives (and arrows?). Maybe there could even be small pockets of obsidian generated in the world with obsidian rocks on the surface to be picked up.

The obsidian "rocks" could be used to make tools, just like any other rocks, perhaps with a damage boost for knives (and arrows?)

So we make obsidian almost a new powder or ore to aid those who find it? Like fertilizer in today's game?

Thanks for the info kitty. To be honest it has been a long time since I broke obsidian. It just has no value in TFC. Like I said I don't think is worth the trouble. There are so many other things that can be added to the game, that obsidian tools would be really low on the list if they actually made the list.

How about making obsidian knives, javelins and arrows deal a lot of extra damage versus wildlife?

Well if we can't make tools out of it, is there a way to make obsidian arts and crafts?

obsidian was used for religious purposes by the Mynas. it was used to make sacrificial knifes for the tribes in the south (were its more volcano rich) They used knifes to kill and eat other tribe members on the so called "dead moon" which refers to the seasonal eclipse were the moons reflection is red. this is more commonly referred to as a blood moon. the main reason for the volcanic glass knife was to avoid the pain of the sacrifice.

obsidian was used for religious purposes by the Mynas. it was used to make sacrificial knifes for the tribes in the south (were its more volcano rich) They used knifes to kill and eat other tribe members on the so called "dead moon" which refers to the seasonal eclipse were the moons reflection is red. this is more commonly referred to as a blood moon. the main reason for the volcanic glass knife was to avoid the pain of the sacrifice.

That seems extremely violent and awesome... Too bad volcanic tribes aren't ever going to be implemented lol