Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snaketokill

Maple syrup

Should this be a thing   38 members have voted

1. 1. do we need maple syrup?

• yes that would be cool
    • no that is silly!
    • ya but make it involve useless ore/mineral
    • yes and make it mass producable!
    • yes and add maple sugar for alchol
    • yes with a spigot and bucket
    • yes with a barrel and tap

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

I suggest we add maple syrup to the game. it could be put on food to bring up the sweetniss

if you have believable ideas il put them in the pole

please fill out the pole

Interesting, I like the idea of adding condiments of some sort to help get the flavors you want. Sugar, salt, pepper, syrup all sound nice.

Well if we have syrup, I feel like we need pancakes...

Maple spirits ftw. A believable way to do this would be to put a tap in a maple tree and put a barrel or large vessel underneat the tap. Get maple water from late winter to late spring. Put it in a vessel or jug in a kiln or firepit to get maple syrup.

This may also be a good way to obtain resin from other trees to replace slimeballs.

you know, if this was added it makes more cense that a bucket and spigot was used because 1 maple tree produces very little syrup. also that is a good use for the millions of wooden buckets your brother makes when he plays with you.

ive been on maple farms and normally they fire massive metal tanks so we could maybe have a use for lead to make them? but make them fairly small and hold 6 thing if you wanted item storage

Maple spirits ftw. A believable way to do this would be to put a tap in a maple tree and put a barrel or large vessel underneat the tap. Get maple water from late winter to late spring. Put it in a vessel or jug in a kiln or firepit to get maple syrup.This may also be a good way to obtain resin from other trees to replace slimeballs.

This may also be a good way to obtain resin from other trees to replace slimeballs.

This would be great. To be honest I don't think having maple syrup would otherwise be worth the effort, I would rather have body temperature and fantasy mobs moved underground.

you know, if this was added it makes more cense that a bucket and spigot was used because 1 maple tree produces very little syrup. also that is a good use for the millions of wooden buckets your brother makes when he plays with you.

I simplified the process so it would be easier to integrate in a believable way. I'm fine with bucket/spigot, but I thought watching a large vessel fill up throughout the season would be cool.Adding a whole new container to boil liquids just for maple syrup seems like too much work.

Adding a whole new container to boil liquids just for maple syrup seems like too much work.

What if you could get the syrup into a vessel and cook that over something instead?

Should be a thing, but should be prioritized along with Obsidian tools. In other words low. Unless their hinted tree rewrite makes this incredibly easy. Then sure.

I love it! Besides, not only maple trees can be juiced for sweet syrup. In Ukraine where I'm from, we drink birch juice. This could also possibly work as an alternative way of getting sugar.

that would be awesome @chucklesthecheat how ever what would pine syrup do because you need shingles for roof tar

If this were to be added, where you would put a spigot in a tree above a barrel, I see a problem. In real life it takes about 40 gallons of syrup to create 1 boiled down gallon of maple syrup. With a bucket being a gallon, 4 full barrels would be required to create 1 bucket of syrup. Also, syrup usually runs in trees in the early spring.  

4 Full barrels? That would cost way to much. I say about 2 barrels

So sick of people posting ideas about adding very narrow varieties of food. Just like when people say that TFC should have pizza ovens added just so we can make pizza and stuff like that.

Just saying

Edited by Treetops

Interesting, I like the idea of adding condiments of some sort to help get the flavors you want. Sugar, salt, pepper, syrup all sound nice.

Honey! If we had bees that is.

This is actually very much like the bees in that it is a cool idea that probably requires too much effort to implement. Maybe if we could tap other kinds of trees for dyes or something.

Doesn't have to be difficult to implement, but TFC has never been about making things the easy way :)

Could be as simple as having a small chance of a tree having a 'sappy' tag on it. After you tap the tree out, you have to find another 'sappy' tree. Basically, don't bother treating it as a renewable resource because it adds complexity. Instead, remove any kind of active management in the code and just make it a physical tree-based resource that you can "mine" out. Kind of like the rubber trees in Industrialcraft except they don't come back.

I'd want the chances of a tree being 'sappy' very low to prevent excessive tree farming - it should be a rare treat to discover, not a common staple. Either way, I'd hope that once you make syrup it will keep for an exceptionally long time even in warm climates - the game really needs more shelf-stable warm-weather food.

I really don't like making it a one-use only thing. I think it should be farmable if you do it right. But maybe if you over tap it then you can't use it any more, like in industrialcraft.

I'd say, to make it more of a comodity, leave it at the 4 barrells to one bucket ratio. It'd be rare at first due to the sheer amount required, but like anything, as time goes on and you collect more resources, it'd naturally become more efficiently producable. Primarily would be limited by the amount of trees you can manage to grow and extractors you could produce, which would expand over time.Primary use would be a sweetener I think, yea, for players who spawn with that particular taste.It'd be interesting if multiple syrups/similar items introduced, such as one made with sugar cane/the sugar from it, much like there are multiple alcohols.

Ok how about, a tree tap that you can put on a tree of certain type and attach to a barrel. For maple trees it produces raw maple sap, pine trees produce pine resin, maybe other types of trees produce different things, like dyes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamboge). They would slowly accumulate in the barrel if certain conditions (temperature, not overtapped, etc.) were met. Then the resins could be processed however you wanted. So maybe, heating them, or crafting them, or I don't know whatever. The only interesting part for this thread is the treetapping concept; the rest is just recipes and that can be determined by the devs for balancing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0