Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhineasWynd

Slight fishing tweak

17 posts in this topic

The further out you throw the line, the bigger the fish - with some chance/probability.

How about the deeper and bigger the place the bobber fell to, the bigger the fish? I mean, if we walk forty meters away from a puddle then throw a line into the puddle, I don't think we'll be able to catch big fish. Also, this way, people will also be more likely to actually throw the line further into the water(since the further you go, the lake/river/tends to get deeper) and not just fish while 20 meters from the pond.

Edit: Also removes the slight unbelievability of getting fishing in a small puddle and getting 0.1 oz of fish, then moving away, throwing the line to the exactly same place, and... bam, a 10oz fish.... or something.

Would also be cool if you are within a certain distance from the bobber, you can't catch fish(like, the fish don't come near because you're scaring them off.)

Fishing is kind of a pain to work with. I may take another look at it in the future. What I'll probably do is force the player to keep the line under tension. If the player tries to walk towards the fish, it'll create slack and the fish will get away. The UI will probably end up changing as well. Fishing will probably end up a lot like fishing in fable (the original, if anyone's played that) except you'll be able to walk around while doing it (although walking anywhere but away from the fish probably wouldn't work too well)

Fishing is kind of a pain to work with. I may take another look at it in the future. What I'll probably do is force the player to keep the line under tension. If the player tries to walk towards the fish, it'll create slack and the fish will get away. The UI will probably end up changing as well. Fishing will probably end up a lot like fishing in fable (the original, if anyone's played that) except you'll be able to walk around while doing it (although walking anywhere but away from the fish probably wouldn't work too well)

What I was trying to rectify was when you throw your line a couple of blocks in front of you and get fish really fast, compared to throwing it out far. There should be a reward for fishing in deeper water.

What about adding bait to increase the chance of a bigger haul?

What I was trying to rectify was when you throw your line a couple of blocks in front of you and get fish really fast, compared to throwing it out far. There should be a reward for fishing in deeper water.

yeah, I know. Fishing isn't always like that though. Far doesn't always mean good, there are a few factors. It'd probably be a combination of minimum distance from any player, water depth and how much aquatic vegetation was in the area. If you get the right mix, you can catch bass. 

Is it feasable to calculate how "big" the lake is?

Is it feasable to calculate how "big" the lake is?

Devs can probably give a more exact answer, but afaik it isn't really feasible. It would probably be quite easy to determine wether it's an ocean, a river or a lake (due to salt/fresh water and due to ocean and river being biomes) but not the exact size.

To query the entire body of water would be very intensive. Technically possible, but would quickly lock up your system for extended period of time and likely crash due to running out of memory. You could do a scan of all the blocks in a specified area around and below the lure. If any block in that area was non-water/ice then it would be considered shallow, else it would be deep water.

Or for a less cheaty way of getting fish the game can detect player placed water blocks 

That would involve logging the placement of any water block, it isn't really feasible.

Well you guys are going in the wrong direction. Fishing Skill. What it does is the more fish you catch the higher the skill and the bigger the fish chance but its will be harder to catch (cause' its bigger)

Well you guys are going in the wrong direction. Fishing Skill. What it does is the more fish you catch the higher the skill and the bigger the fish chance but its will be harder to catch (cause' its bigger)

How is this different to the butchering skill? Also, that's not very believable - fishing skill is a knowledge thing - where to fish, at what time...

Whoa new idea: a daily repeating catchrate map for the world, looking from the top - if you know where the good fishing is, at what time, you get more/bigger fish!

How is this different to the butchering skill? Also, that's not very believable - fishing skill is a knowledge thing - where to fish, at what time...

Whoa new idea: a daily repeating catchrate map for the world, looking from the top - if you know where the good fishing is, at what time, you get more/bigger fish!

Well I wasn't very descriptive and if i was going to be more descriptive i would put it in a new post but probs not couse i have 1 warning post and im scared but i like the good place to fish idea

That sounds really cool, and would probably also be very feasible. Simply use sections of about 5x5 chunks, and at first spawn they are given a time frame in daily hours, where they give the bonus. Preferably it wouldn't be like "each section has 2 hours when it's better", but rather "for each hour per section, there is a 5% chance that that it gets the bonus" (determined at first spawn). So some sections would never have the bonus, but if you find a really good section it can work for almost half the day.

If there was a fishing skill, it would unlock an additional mode on the fishing rod at expert, allowing you to "see" the bonus the same way you see hydration on crop fields at any given time.

Small sidetrack on how skills could be separated:

Honestly, I think there could be three food-related skills instead of the two currently existing:

Food Preparation - Would give a general bonus on the amounts of food gathered by butchery, fishing and agriculture, as well as reduce the amount of weight loss from cutting away decay (because you know exactly how much you need to cut away and don't need to cut extra just to be sure)

Animal Husbandry - Would give a small bonus on butchered mammal and bird meat as well as more side products (bones and skin etc). Would also increase the amount of trust gained by an animal for feeding it.

Fishing - Would give a bonus to food from cleaning fish as well as unlock seeing if a section is in "bonus mode" or not.

Agriculture - Would give a bonus on seeds as wel as unlock seeing nutrients.

This way it would work a lot like how the smithing skills work, and being a fisher would be a legitimate focus on a multiplayer server.

Or maybe the born animal will have a little extra fimiliarity with each level

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0