Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stringburka

Illness

15 posts in this topic

Something that would be interesting would be to have at least some risk of illness in the game. I know Bioxx had said that there shouldn't be any visible icky things, so this wouldn't be visible except as a debuff.

While there are a wide variety of illnesses IRL, the ways to present illness in the game is quite limited, as is a stone age person's ability to diagnose it. As such, I think having two distinct illnesses would be enough: Cold and food poisoning. These would have distinct causes and effects.

Cold

You could get a cold by being in cold weather, especially with improper clothing and far from a fireplace. Basically, it'd check once every RL minute, and there'd be say a 1% chance of catching a cold if you're in cold weather. The chance would be reduced by .2% for each piece of clothing, and by .6% if you're near a fire pit/forge/whatever.

When a person has a cold, it also checks once every five seconds if there's any other player in the same or an adjacent block, if that's the case there's a 10% chance they catch it too.

The effect of a cold would be a notable but not debilitating slow effect, as well as faster consumption of water, and also you would not heal any damage while sick.. The cold would last about three minecraft days, though drinking tea (a new object that is made on the fire pit by water jug + one of the various non-poison saplings or bushes or what have you) or eating raw garlic would reduce this by 4 minutes per time you drink or eat it (so an incessant consumption of those things might cure you in a day).

Cold would never be lethal, as long as you drink water.

Yes I know you don't get a cold simply from being out in the cold, you have to be exposed to the virus, but this is for simplicity's sake and there's plenty of ways to be exposed, as well as plenty of diseases with similar symptoms.

Food Poisoning

This would be a catch-all for various illnesses with similar symptoms that are usually gained by eating or drinking contaminated food. You'd gain it from eating raw meat or spoiled food (something like a chance equal to the spoilage percentage plus 10% if it's raw meat) or, rarely, from drinking water directly from a pond (something like .5% per sip).

The symptoms would include a notable slow effect, a general faster consumption of water, and you would not heal any damage while sick. In addition, occacionally you might suffer bad liquid uptake, immediately losing about one tick on the water meter, or sudden hunger, losing about two ticks on the food meter (those are the things that could be described in icky ways, but that's not really needed for the game), and also a bad cough, a ten-second debuff dealing about 5 damage per second. This would happen randomly, with each happening perhaps an average of five times per illness period.

Food poisoning would last about one full minecraft day.

Food poisoning could be lethal, though it's unlikely unless you are suffering from severe malnutrition.

This would allow a more continuous survival play, putting the point where you're beyond survivability issues further away as it increases chance/risk and thus you can't feel guaranteed to be able to do certain things at certain times as much, eg "oh no, I've gotten a cold, will I manage to harvest and pickle everything before winter now?"

One clear issue is that you can actually eat raw meat and iirc you can't trim decay from sandwiches and possibly salads.

One clear issue is that you can actually eat raw meat and iirc you can't trim decay from sandwiches and possibly salads.

With this change, you would be able to eat raw meat, it's just that it'd be risky.

And yeah, with sandwhiches and salad you'd need to eat them decently quick or they'll go bad, just like in real life! :)

It'd mean food spoilage isn't an on/off switch, but rather a gradual thing, so you have to weigh between minimizing risks and maximizing how much nutrition you get out of each piece of food.

You can't trim off decay from salads or sandwiches. It's one of the drawbacks from having multi-nutritional food items

I think the cold will be properly implemented when body temperature (in all its holyness) comes around. I would like some risk for dirty water, and then have to boil it. I just think stone age should be fleshed out and made more than a scramble for copper, which is funny cause irl copper sucks as a metal. Stone age should be a long interesting fleshed out walk towards bronze 

I think the cold will be properly implemented when body temperature (in all its holyness) comes around. I would like some risk for dirty water, and then have to boil it. I just think stone age should be fleshed out and made more than a scramble for copper, which is funny cause irl copper sucks as a metal. Stone age should be a long interesting fleshed out walk towards bronze 

I honestly can't wait for a body temperature update (like EnvironMine) to hit TFC. Though Kitty mentioned something about ice wrapped in metal sheets as a cooler, so who knows if that could have to do with food preservation.

This is a good idea. I would add the possibility of rabies and infections caused by mob-attacks.

Perhaps zombies are already living rabies-infected humans? Pretty much no human disease is so zombiish as rabies; increased saliva, aggression, a craving to bite others (which spreads the disease), sleeplessness, loss of sensation and partial paralyzation. Heh.

So the Walking Dead in TFC? I'd rather leave the vectors of illnesses to be animals and dangerous creatures

So the Walking Dead in TFC? I'd rather leave the vectors of illnesses to be animals and dangerous creatures

Hey now you spoiled me :( I haven't gotten that far yet :( very well...

But yeah I wasn't serious anyway, just think it's interesting how many typical zombie tropes also fits rabies.

An sprain or bone fracture that requires bandages could be a "nice" addition

Hey now you spoiled me :( I haven't gotten that far yet :( very well...

But yeah I wasn't serious anyway, just think it's interesting how many typical zombie tropes also fits rabies.

Awww now I feel bad :o Either way it could be something. Give zombies a new sense of danger?

Awww now I feel bad :o Either way it could be something. Give zombies a new sense of danger?

No worries! spoiler that you already know but others might not:

I already knew it was some kind of illness that everyone has and thus is probably airborne or waterborne, since I'm at season 3 or 4 (don't remember), but did not know it was rabies-related

While zombies are no doubt the easiest mobs at this point, they have gotten far better senses in minecraft since just a few patches back. I mean, they're easy, but they also tend to come in far greater numbers than others.

What would help zombies become real threats again would be a limited ability to climb, and/or increasing the rate at which they can break doors, and/or even other blocks.

Though we're getting a bit off-topic now. Though of course, zombies could simply spread diseases in general, doesn't have to be zombification diseases!What if zombies afflicted you on a hit, and in addition any open water storage within a 1 block radius would be spoiled?

No worries! spoiler that you already know but others might not:

I already knew it was some kind of illness that everyone has and thus is probably airborne or waterborne, since I'm at season 3 or 4 (don't remember), but did not know it was rabies-related

While zombies are no doubt the easiest mobs at this point, they have gotten far better senses in minecraft since just a few patches back. I mean, they're easy, but they also tend to come in far greater numbers than others.

What would help zombies become real threats again would be a limited ability to climb, and/or increasing the rate at which they can break doors, and/or even other blocks.

Though we're getting a bit off-topic now. Though of course, zombies could simply spread diseases in general, doesn't have to be zombification diseases!What if zombies afflicted you on a hit, and in addition any open water storage within a 1 block radius would be spoiled?

Ah. Well... Spoiler Alert...

The source of the illness or whatever isn't fully explained. We just know it spreads and creates zombies

Well back to illness itself, wouldn't diseases from pets or plants carry on to other pets, animals, food, and, eventually, the Player?

Well back to illness itself, wouldn't diseases from pets or plants carry on to other pets, animals, food, and, eventually, the Player?

Possible, but from a game perspective I imagine it would be a lot more taxing on the system and a lot more complex to understand for the player. It can also be hard to make something common enough that it's relevant but still rare enough that it doesn't shape the entire game play.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0