Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Delerium76

[Vanilla Bug] The great cow escape!

15 posts in this topic

For some reason my cows keep escaping their pens.  I'm guessing it might be due to the varying size mechanic, not sure.  For the time being, I blocked them in with wooden walls, although it's ugly and feeding them is a pain, it prevents the escape.

odd, I never encountered them actually escaping the pen until TFC. I've seen that glitch described in that post, but for me they just "glitched" like a phantom, but stay inside.  Also, it was 2 cows with a 3x3 space to roam, so they aren't exactly being pushed like that post described.

The mob doesn't have to have been pushed. What happens is that the animal is occupying the same block coordinates (X, Y, Z) as the fence block. The animal doesn't take suffocation damage, because the block is transparent, and they are able to move closer to the center of the block because of the fence's small hitbox. When the chunk unloads, and then reloads, Minecraft sees that there is a mob, and a block occupying the exact same space, so it tries to correct it by moving the animal to the nearby block. However, the game has no idea which nearby air block is "inside" the fence, and which one is "outside" the fence. It just picks one at random. Sometimes this means the animal is teleported back into the pen, and other times it means the animal is teleported outside of the pen.

To me, this problem feels less severe in 1.7.10 than in 1.6.4. However, I don't know if Mojang are working on it or not.

The only thing that may have changed is mob AI to try and reduce the time they spend bumping up to fences.

I haven't seen this bug in vanilla in quite some time. Even with hundreds of animals on multiple servers I don't think I've seen a single animal glitch through a fence in vanilla  1.7. I would venture to say that if it's happening in TFC, that there's probably something going on in TFC that's bringing it back.

Clearly the "bug" is with vanilla MC, but it would seem Mojang have found a work-around, maybe with the AI, to keep it from happening or to make it vanishingly rare. Could there be something in the TFC code that negates the work-around?

This bug is not "vanishingly rare" in vanilla. In vanilla 1.8, keep a couple of bunnies and chickens in a fenced in area. Within a few times of loading and unloading the area, at least one or two of the animals will have escaped.

I haven't seen this bug in vanilla in quite some time. Even with hundreds of animals on multiple servers I don't think I've seen a single animal glitch through a fence in vanilla  1.7. I would venture to say that if it's happening in TFC, that there's probably something going on in TFC that's bringing it back. Clearly the "bug" is with vanilla MC, but it would seem Mojang have found a work-around, maybe with the AI, to keep it from happening or to make it vanishingly rare. Could there be something in the TFC code that negates the work-around?

I definitively had/have this happening with 1.7.2, still before I started playing TFC. I got lots of pigs an cows and from time to time, that is, when I return from a longer trip, one or two of them "escapes". I have a second fence around everything to catch these...Haven't updated to a higher version since getting out of boats is a pain after 1.7.2.

I stand corrected! I guess I'm just lucky because I honestly can't remember this happening at all in the past year in vanilla. I thought it had mostly become a non-issue.

My rule is, don't use fences as animal enclosures. Use walls: if you want to see through it, use glass; if you want to see into it, sink it in the ground.

I ALWAYS get chickens stuck in the corners of fenced areas, so unfortunately my chickens live in a small wooden box. Sorry, chickens.

I just dig a 2 deep 5x5 (increased if needed) hole.A bit strange but it can be build very early in the game, no tool needed (maybe a stone shovel for speed).When I got material and time I put a fence around it so no other animals/monsters can get in, and a stair to get out myself.Before 0.79 I'd build a stall with a combination of walls and double fences:

post-14819-0-88388900-1421837032_thumb.p

This also worked fine

What has always worked for me is to put the fence on top of a solid block. The animals see the fence on top of that as a block so they have never tried to jump onto it, so they don't bump into fences, the fence or second high block is transparent so they don't suffocate. And it looks pretty good in my opinion. 

Posted Image

This is getting annoying... I listened to your advice guys and made a full glass enclosure. Here is a picture with my case: 

Spoiler

qjdOWlg.png

The pigs bounding box is much greater than the pig itself and they space themselves around so they don't touch. It might not seem from the image but this is a PACKED enclosure. There are pigs being pushed into the glass as you can see in the left wall and far right. Fortunately for me I only had 3 pregnant female pigs...

You have to give your animals more space.....this is a vanilla bug that shows up more in TFC because this mod makes you explore great distances for resources