Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mark88fan

Think I found the biggest thing keeping this mod from really taking off

15 posts in this topic

Just spent and hour making a bronze helmet and boots. Gave up on 3rd stage of the boots so as to not throw my monitor across the room. I get making things harder to do and really like it, but making tools and armor on the anvil is I'm sure a game breaker for many people. Just my 2 cents.

This is why TFC was designed for multiplayer. While you may hate smithing, there are other players who really enjoy it a lot, and those players might hate one of the other tasks in TFC that you like to do, such as agriculture, animal husbandry, mining, building, exploring, or cooking. We don't expect players to absolutely fall in love with every single mechanic in the mod, we expect players to pick out specific things in the mod that they do like, and work together with other players who enjoy different mechanics.

Black smithing for many is one of the key mechanics that draw them to TFC. Doing it efficiently is a skill, over time you gain an understanding how much each technique moves the arrow. Eventually you can solve the combination without too much frustration, then it is just a matter of refining. It is quite satisfying to figure out how to make a tool or armour piece in the least number of moves. Those who play SMP and either are the team blacksmith or trade in forged items can kick out any tool or armour amazingly fast.

My suggestions are to keep notes. Just grab an ingot and start messing around to see how much each technique moves the arrow, because to technique to small move left is not equivalent to small move right. Also write down the moves you did to makes something, then next time you'll have either the answer or a clue.

While you may take 1 hour for that, there will be people who will finish the same in under 5 minutes. It gets much easier. Even more after you memorize the best formula for a certain item.

Your having trouble with boots?  When I pad my armor skill all I make is boots because they are so easy

I found useful to spam one move until I get to the sweetspot, then do the combination required and calculate how much distance it moved.

By the time you're tapping out armor for yourself on an anvil, you've already overcome most of the things "keeping this mod from really taking off". I got frustrated with that stage of the game myself the first time I experienced it, but the fact was it took comparably little time in relation to how long it took me to find the copper to make a suit of armor in the first place. At that point, a little frustration couldn't break the game for me anymore. I was invested in my progress through the mod and was willing to grind a bit. And the above comments are accurate in that you do get used to it after a couple times. 

I'm still new to the mod. It's really exciting to know that there are challenges like this to be had!

I chose this mod because of such challenges.

For me, what keeps me from really loving the mod is the fact it takes much too long to find and gather resources.

You need to go a extremely long way to gather resources, and you need resources to supply for extended trips. Quite the paradox, unless your spawn has plenty of stuff, like copper and crops. Then all you need is simply time to refine them all. 

While playing on servers does help a lot, I have a hard time finding servers that I really like, and I just end up playing something else rather then searching for servers that I like. 

But I still enjoy this mod a lot, especially to take a break from things. Nothing quite like watching the sun set from my house after a relaxed day of gardening and carpentry, Now if I had a chair, a pipe, and some pipeweed, it'd be great :P

II started a poll on my server post to find out what kind of server people are looking for. So Allen what is it that you want on a server?

There's a certain satisfaction to making armor and getting the materials rather than shoving them into a crafting grid. TFC's little touch on things

I have to agree with kitty, as in real life some people want to be doctors and others want to be engineers. People have different talents and capabilities. Some may never evolve the taste for smiting, like others will fight to be the town blacksmith, even if that means they will do no exploring, and sometimes not even mine for resources as other residents will bring all the ores He/She needs.

II started a poll on my server post to find out what kind of server people are looking for. So Allen what is it that you want on a server?

A place with a nice town(s) where we all share resources. (Preferably without pvp/raids, but if there is, I'll just cope with it.)

By that, I mean having something like a town storage/warehouse where people actually contribute to and not just take things from, and where there are enough people actually contributing.

So if I wanted a new sword, but didn't have the metal to make one, I could drop by the town smithy to pick up a sword, or make one myself from the resources there.

And if I happened to harvest some crops or catch some fish, I would only take what I need to eat, and put the rest(after taking measures to keep it fresh) in the town storage.

Simply, a place with people I can chat with, and where I can relax and do what I want, when I want to.

Kinda sucks when I go on a server and have to live alone because everyone lives 10000~ blocks apart, or join a town, but have to live alone anyways because noone ever comes on when I'm on.

Don't really care about much else. I mean, I don't like using F3 coords or minimaps because it feels cheaty, but they are very useful, so..

I also always wanted to try role-playing, but never got to as all servers I found just had people never role-playing, but simply doing stuff and talking in ooc.

Let me tell you about Darkagecraft.

The server uses the last version of Cauldron, so we can use Bukkit plugins and Forge mods.

No PVP, Not really a full RPG, but we have a Medieval Theme. Towns are encouraged to keep constructions within the time period, that means no futuristic or modern buildings. 

There is no Teleport, so everyone has to walk, horse ride or sail.

We have Towny and people are encouraged to create towns as soon as possible, but there are rewards to get together and create coop towns.

We have a server Market using Merchants mod, but we do not buy dirt, mostly you can sell cobble and purchase glowstone for decorative purposes.

We use Prizm, so there is no sense in any kind of grieffing.

I my town Avalon  we have a black smith (Telpin) he makes tools and weapons for all of us, there is no economy, so everyone takes care of everything. We have a communal Farm and Kitchen. We build together and mine together. We have a communal storage and everyone is encouraged to procure resources.

We have residential streets where people can build their houses, just because most people think they need to have a house. But to give you an idea I don't have a house. Never had the time to do it.

We have town projects, We are building a wall around the whole town. and once is done we will start on the Castle. See screenshot.

Posted Image

We have around 15 players that log every day at different times, on pick times we usually have between 8 and 12 players. The maximum we had online was 23, but that is a exception.