Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
KyleMan

More Dairy Sources

More milk sources?   29 members have voted

1. 1. More milk sources?

• Yes! More milk!
    • Nah. Milks just fine as is.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 posts in this topic

Playing tfc i have a good amount of 4 of the 5 food groups but dairy. Dairy is hard to get and you have to make it into cheese to make it useful. But, what if there were mor sources for dairy? Soy milk, goat milk, sheep milk, and coconut milk (might have to add coconuts). Well those are my ideas for more milk sources! i hope you consider!

You can drink milk straight from the bucket to get dairy, you don't have to turn it into cheese.

Well yeah but what if you don't have cows? What if your too impatient to wait a day for milk? What if you dont have any female cows? See those are my problems and goats dont seem to have any uses maybe goat or sheep milk can make a new cheese fetta (a little sweeter)? as for my plant milk idea yo have to get cut coconut or cut soy beans then put it in a manual sqeezer to get milk! 

You don't need milk though. You can survive just fine having a completely empty dairy bar with all the other nutrients relatively full, and if you're eating sandwiches and salads your dairy bar won't deplete very much anyways. If you're worried about not having full HP, you can always get more XP to increase your max HP that way.

Livestock in TFC are essentially specialized: sheep for wool, pigs for lots of food, cows for milk, horses for transportation, chickens for eggs and feathers. The only reason that we added soybeans as protein instead of as vegetable was because of the odd vegetarian player. If you want alternative dairy sources because you're vegan, then you probably shouldn't be playing TFC because there are a bunch of other aspects in the game that are not vegan-friendly (Killing animals, using animal byproducts, leather, etc).

Being able to milk sheep would be kinda cool, though perhaps much less frequent like once per week instead of once per day.

Have you ever actualy tried to milk a sheep? It is very difficult and annoying. If goats were added, they should be milkable. The only other decently milkable animal already in TFC is the Horse. The Mongols survived almost entirely off of meat, horse milk, various forms of horse cheese/yogurt, and a minimal amount of foraged food. Horses are usable for milk production, though I dont think that it would be overly ballanced.

Yeah but maybe goat/sheep milk has a wierd flavor maybe bitter, sweet, or sour

Have you ever actualy tried to milk a sheep?

I haven't, but sheep cheese is quite common in my country. And both feta and halloumi are sheep cheeses.

I guess it would depend a lot on breeding, too. Perhaps if each female sheep had a "milking" stat, and the lower the milking stat the longer it takes to milk as well as the longer you have to wait between milking periods. So with a wild sheep you might have to half a minute IRL and once per minecraft month, but with sufficient breeding, you can get it down to 5 secs once per week.

I mean, it might not be as easy as milking a cow, but neither is coal mining and steve & alex do a lot of that :P

If there is ever a alternate source of milk, I think it should be un-breedable, like deer or partridges(or where they quails? I forget...).

If there is ever a alternate source of milk, I think it should be un-breedable, like deer or partridges(or where they quails? I forget...).

Pheasants. The concept behind that doesn't really work though, because in order to milk an animal you really must domesticate it first. If you tried to milk a wild goat, you'd probably just get kicked in the face. In essence, if you get familiar enough with an animal to milk it, then you are already familiar enough to breed it, and it doesn't quite make sense to make the animal "unbreedable."

Of course, one could also ask what it is in diary products that make them so nutritiously (is that a word?) different from other food groups. Protein is an important nutrient of it own, vegetables are are generally shock full of vitamins and minerals, fruit is the main natural source of sugar (as well as certain vitamins) and grain is the main source of slower carbs (and a secondary source of protein). So it makes a lot of sense to separate those. Dairy, to me, feels a bit off in that it's so very very specific.

The things that comes to mind that dairy products produce notably more than other things would be a select few vitamins (B12 and folic acid) and calcium, both of which are also common in eggs.

So theoretically, at least to me it wouldn't feel that off to change "dairy" to "dairy and eggs".

If I understood the whole idea was to mimic the old 5 food group as it was developed many years ago. Although outdated it helped many people to get a varied nutrition. I think is better to stay with the 5 food group idea then to go into modern concepts wher is almost impossible to get 2 nutritionist 2 agree, one will say eggs are poison and the other will tell you that recent researches show it is actually good for you. The amount of controversy would be enough to fill another forum. Not long ago margarine was believed to be a healthier option to butter.

If I understood the whole idea was to mimic the old 5 food group as it was developed many years ago. Although outdated it helped many people to get a varied nutrition. I think is better to stay with the 5 food group idea then to go into modern concepts wher is almost impossible to get 2 nutritionist 2 agree, one will say eggs are poison and the other will tell you that recent researches show it is actually good for you. The amount of controversy would be enough to fill another forum. Not long ago margarine was believed to be a healthier option to butter.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional or formally educated in nutrition, but it's kind of a big hobby and as someone with mostly vegan diet, I've been forced to learn a lot about it :P So I have a better grasp than the average person, but not as good as a professional dietician or similar.

The disagreements usually* stem from whether something has unhealthy components, not whether they have healthy components. Eggs and margarine are both prime examples of this; Eggs no doubt contain a decent amount of complete proteins, loads of calcium, some B12 and minerals (among other things), and the disagreement is on how large amount of eggs you have to eat for the quite high amount of cholesterol in eggs to be an issue. Margarine contains lot of solid fats and is in general about equal to butter in most regards; they can manage to have a lower amount of saturated fats and higher amount of unsaturated fats than butter, but not all do. The main disagreements are 1. on the various additives that are sometimes used in specific brands of margarine and 2. whether trace amounts of chemicals used in processing basically all margarine can be dangerous.

There is quite general agreement (from a scientific viewpoint, rather than from a corporate viewpoint) on the benefits of various kinds of food, as we know what nutrients we need and it's easy to see what nutrients something contains; the disputes are generally on the bad parts and how relevant they are.

That's why a good baseline is to have a varied diet; that way it's unlikely to get enough of the "bad stuff" to really affect anything.

Though everyone should stay away from monosodium glutamate. That shit is nasty.

*there are exceptions, such as those stating that the human body can't effectively process dairy proteins and vitamins, but they have very little research to back them up and usually claim it for political reasons (ideological veganism gone wrong; they are fringe even in the vegan community).

To be honest I wished instead of taste that the devs had coded food variety to give us more saturation and health, my idea was simple, % food groups, because is easy for everyone to understand, so 200 health points for each food group and a 20% bonus on top of each food group as long as you have all the food groups for each different food you eat.

So lets take the sandwich: Corn Bread, Chicken, Potato, Apple, Cheese    if you eat these sandwich and only this the maximum health you can get is 1000 points. But if you add Tomatoes and alternate the potato and tomatoes you get a bonus for more 40 points or 20% over that food group. to a maximum of another 200 points if you manage to get 5 different foods in the same group.

That would make sense in the realistic way, because there is no such a thing as a perfect food, and would give the player more reasons to look for variety in fruits and vegetables. Some food groups have more variety others not so much, but for proteins we can have red met, poultry and fish.

Note that I still think is a good idea to stay using the 5 food group system. Why, mainly because it avoids controversy. So if we were to change that what should we use instead? Here lies the problem there are virtually hundreds of diets that could be used and everyone would disagree on some part of it. The 5 food group is easy to understand and follow, so even kids can do it. A nutritional system would be over complicated without actually add anything to the game. At least this is my opinion, coincidentally in this case looks like the same of the Devs, You are free to disagree, but base arguments on gameplay not on actual  Nutrition.

Peace and come play in my server, lets have fun that's what Terrafirmacraft is about.

i did not think this would be a whole discussion. i thought it would be a thrown out idea

I know this topic is quite old, but I'll just throw this out there: is it possible to add yogurt as another form of dairy? The way yogurt was made in the past would be difficult to reproduce (harvesting animal stomachs and storing the milk there) but could we fill a barrel completely with just milk and seal it for a few days? The articles that explained how to make yogurt did say it needed to be heated to a certain temperature/kept fairly warm. The only problem I'm having are finding natural ways to add the active and live cultures, but once that's overcome the only thing you need to do is add milk on top of the previous batch to make more. The yogurt could be taken out by bowl to keep things simple. If anyone could help with this that would be awesome.

History: http://www.dairygoodness.ca/yogurt/the-history-of-yogurt

Making yogurt from scratch discussion: http://www.chowhound.com/post/making-yogurt-commercial-yogurt-starter-332305

This is pretty much the same process as making Cheese. I think the reason for this thread was to find another source of Dairy, e.g. Soy is an alternate, renewable, source of protein. Milk could be made from...nuts? but it's hardly dairy.