Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CitizenSmiley

Lumber Spilitting Wedge

7 posts in this topic

Often I find it difficult to acquire a saw in the first or second day of a new world. I was reminded the other day, when I had this issue, that 'way back when' people would use a splitting wedge to acquire lumber. My suggestion is as follows;

Add a stone splitting wedge which can be right clicked on to a placed log, then the player must use a hammer to either left click or right click the wedge.

An animation for this action, such as the log actually splitting, would be ideal for the consumer but not so much for the producers.

Also a few ideas I had to make this not as OP as it is in my current definition above;

The wedge has a high probability of breaking whilst the player is using it, its a one use item, and it only produces about four or eight "lumber" so it isn't ideal for the player.

As I just realized if it is not ideal, and a player will use it once on the first day, then why bother programming such a difficult action or item..

How about the player can make metal tiers which produce up to the regular 16 "lumber"?

This is all just a random idea I had while playing so interpret it how you chose. My grammer is also probably poor so I apologize for that.

post-17095-0-59251700-1422218761_thumb.j

I think something like this was already posted, and I really don't know about your grammer.

If I remember correctly the verdict was that this would be op. Stone is pretty much infinite (which I think should be changed) so having the wedges break wouldn't do much, and even if it produced only one lumber it would be easy to just make lots of them. I think one solution was to have a nerfed lumber (maybe rough lumber?) that could be used for some of the applications that lumber is used for now.

I think something like this was already posted, and I really don't know about your grammer.

If I remember correctly the verdict was that this would be op. Stone is pretty much infinite (which I think should be changed) so having the wedges break wouldn't do much, and even if it produced only one lumber it would be easy to just make lots of them. I think one solution was to have a nerfed lumber (maybe rough lumber?) that could be used for some of the applications that lumber is used for now.

In other words should I remove my post? If there is a similar topic already discussed then I really don't mind removing my post. 

You make a good point. I thought about the idea of crude lumber but didn't know how that would be applicable. What would it work for and what would it not? Planks seem out of the question but so does the placed version of lumber. It seems to me like it would either be OP or useless. So really my suggestion is pointless XD

The suggestion is not going to be implimented as you suggested since it would bypass a key early bottleneck in progression. That doesn't mean you should delete it. Sometimes good ideas can come out of ones that won't work. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, always do a search before posting. As for grammar. We don't need perfect grammar, if you are getting your point across that is all we ask. We have many members who are not native English speakers and we would rather them have poor grammar/translation then feel they weren't allowed to contribute.

I think this idea could be used to make firewood, which replaces full logs in things that burn. This would need to be balanced somehow, but how believable is it that you need 1 cubic metre of logs to cook a piece of meat, and 8 cubic metres to fire 4 clay pots?

Let's say wood burns at 10 megajoules (1000 kilojoules) per kilogram, and that 160 oz = ten 450g steaks. Also, each steak takes 10 kj to cook, so 100 kj for the full 160 oz of meat. (google said 1 kj per steak, so waaay out of scale, but oh well)

Just on a side note, is it possible to change to metric? You can change language... oz means nothing to me.  :P 

So oak has a density of 0.6 x 103 kg/m3, or a single log weighs 600 kg. (Wow, was not expecting that much. How can Steve carry these? :blink:) Let's take it down to 10 kg per log because minecraft. So each log has 100 Mj of burning energy available, or enough to cook 100 steaks.

Anyway, so 1/100 of a log can cook a full stack of meat (or anything else). This could be 1/64 because minecraft has a binary fetish, or whatever. Doesn't matter. So you use the wedge or whatever, get your 64 firewood. BUT now here's where your balancing comes in - time! You just cut that tree down, the wood's gonna be so wet. So because the wood is damp and green you gotta stack those firewood under some thatch (more uses for thatch blocks, right? Also requires multi-block structures, YAY, you guys like that, yes?) for like a week or a month or something. Needs testing to get the balance right. The stacked firewood has this cool texture like this:

Posted Image

Now firewood replaces the burning of logs. 8 logs for a pit kiln now = 8 firewood. 64 logs in a charcoal pit block = 64 firewood, or 1 single log. (with extra time and effort). One tree would last you forever if you just used it for cooking.

If it's too much (and i've decreased the numbers by magnitudes, literally), you could make 1 log only give 16 firewood.

That is amazing PhineasWynd... You couldn't have said that better.. The only problem is you can't wait a month or so to get a pit kiln going.. How about this: You can use the freshly cut firewood for a pit kiln but because it is so wet you can only cook one thing at a time and it takes a considerable amount of time longer than a pit kiln with dry firewood. 

That could also open up to a lot of possibilities now that I think of it. One thing that comes to mind, which would be a long term idea, is a crock pot.

You would need a fire place which would most likely be a metal item designed to hold the fire wood, the metal pot, a metal bar to hold the pot, water, fire wood.. (Ohh! You could turn salt water into fresh water and get salt!)

It would be close to a mid game set up as it would be difficult to acquire all the metal for it but the result would be better food! Huh? Huh? Come on that would be cool  :D

Just on a side note, is it possible to change to metric? You can change language... oz means nothing to me.  :P

oz means nothing to you in the exact same way that g means pretty much nothing to me or Bioxx, or any of our majority players that live in the United States. The exact same reason that you want it changes is the same reason that we won't change it.

You would need a fire place which would most likely be a metal item designed to hold the fire wood, the metal pot, a metal bar to hold the pot, water, fire wood.. (Ohh! You could turn salt water into fresh water and get salt!)

There is already a pot placeholder item in the game. You have also just suggested something that is on the Do Not Post the Following Suggestions thread.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this topic since it isn't really adding anything new, and has broken a handful of the suggestion forum rules.