Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
NikkyD

I am missing reasons to build a shelter

82 posts in this topic

Well as I suggested the area would be out and up from the fire pit. So down would not be effected. I'm not sure about the current ambient temperature calculations, but I would expect that the temperature gradient would be stopped by solid blocks in similar way light from fire pits is blocked. If the temperature influence of heat sources is stopped by solid blocks then no reason it couldn't go down a bit, but I was going with the hot air rises.

all in all touching on the heating bit, you could always add Enviromine to your mod list in addition to TFC. that might add the temp based stuff you are looking for to justify the construction of a home. granted it is a bit odd in vanilla, and im not sure how well it wuld work with TFC, but it is an idea.

I bet that you could modify the light distribution algorithm abit and use half of the 16 block states to represent the actual temperatures and the second half to represent a resistance value to simulate the insulation properties of each building block. You can model the distribution properties off thermal conductivity... This would help with the "inside vs outside" dilemma and add to the realism factor of tfc2

Bleh been disconnected from the internets again for a long period of time, needed to sort out more RL crap as well, so sadly i missed out on this nice discussion.

Personally i dont quite share the issue of not having a reason to build a shelter, aside from the first few months untill i get my stuff together. The one thing i am concernt about is that some idea's might make simple things, like a chimeny, overly complex to build or simply to large to maintain proper heath vallues indoors (or around your firepit for that matter). But as long as im not forced to build a 9x9 box (pun intended :lol: ) im quite fine with anny added challenges to gain some more intresting features in the game in general.

As for the coding of a roomhouse check, im still kinda hoping Mojang will work some more on the mod APIgame engine to improve the current situationlimitations, although im afraid if they do its going to take a few more versions before they get to it. I am not a big fan of Java engines for gaming purposed in general, but i still firmly believe that MC should be more capablestable in terms of certain mods (functions) then it currently is (not only because of modders feedback, but mainly true experience witch is also part of the reason im not a big fan of Java Engines for games).

Sadly enough im behind quite a bit now, no wiki (internet acess) means i wasnt able to fully enjoy the 1.7 version yet (although i did manage to get a download some where in between) since so much has changed. Yet i can not wait to get back at it and see where al this is going to end up in terms of added gameplay for future builds :wub:

After about a month i found enough ore to make a saw and or pickaxe and with that i am technically set. There is really no reason for wanting iron other that wanting it. With a copper saw you can make everything from barrels (food and preservation) to all wooden tools like the loom or a bed (IF you can find some sheep) to doors and stuff.

The last time i just dug a 2 deep ditch around a spot and dug myself a hole at night and placed log-stashes around me so i was 100% safe.

Because i had no wool, i had to sit the night out but because of the spawn protection i could even work close to my safezone.

And i began to wonder "what kind of house should i build this time ?". And right now there is no reason why one should build a shelter. Monsters can be held off by simple means, a roof can be constructed like a giant umbrella or one of those party pavillions... but why build a shelter with a door etc ?

I feel that this is where the game has one of the biggest gaps between gameplay and reality. Rain and cold would kill you in reality but in MC/TFC they just dont matter and as they dont matter the seasons only matter in terms of food production but they dont threaten your health. Running around in heavy rain, wet to the bone, at near freezing temps... who cares ?! Just cut trees, farm your animals, weather is just an optical gimmick... and i feel that this is a part that need work sooner or later.

Last week I was playing Super Mario.

After about two minuters i killed the first goombas and got a fire flower with that i am technically set. There is really no reason for going further into the level other that wanting it. Killing the first goombas you can freely move, jump, fire and do everything you can do in the game. 

The last time i just stayed at the beginning of World 1 Level 2 so i was 100% safe.

Because i had no fire flower, i had to advance a little to get it but because of the scrolling mechanic i could even go back to my safezone.

And i began to wonder "what kind of gameplay should i try this time ?". And right now there is no reason why one should beat the levels. Monsters can be held off by simple means, just by simply not going further... but why take the effort to do so?

I feel that this is where the game has one of the biggest gaps between gameplay and reality. Monster would come and kill you in reality but in Super Mario they just dont matter and as they dont matter the traps only matter in terms of filling the level but they dont threaten your health. Running around shooting fireballs, making a lot of noise... who cares ?! Just jump and run, enjoy the platforms, time countdown is just a temporal distraction... and i feel that this is a part that need work sooner or later.

What I'm trying to say is, why do TFC should give you a reason to keep advancing apart form the game itself? Do you need the threat to get killed to actually do things? 

Why build shelter and advance to iron or steel? For the same reason you beat the levels on Super Mario: The game is about it. You could settle at a thatch house with copper tools, eating onions through the year. Yes, you can do that and avoid getting killed, but the you are avoiding the game itself, as sitting in the first stage of super mario world 1. 

That's an absurd comparison between two vastly different game environments.  Moreover, your substituted observations are false on their face.  Super Mario has an explicit goal defined.  Advancement in Super Mario exposes you to constant and consistent danger, enforced by simple fact that you *can't* go backwards.  And standing around doing nothing in Super Mario will indeed kill you, as you have a timer counting down against you; there's nothing you can do to prevent that.

Whereas, Minecraft in general, as well as TFC specifically, is designed as a sandbox environment.  There is no explicit goal.  An extremely simple defensive area can be easily constructed; enhancing this structure does not serve any significant function as far as game mechanics are involved.  And as long as you have sufficient food of any single source, as well as fresh water, you can survive; no other environmental factors matter.

That is the OP's point.  They are seeking more enforced engagement with the game world, more designed mechanics that require and/or reward additional exploratory, structural, and/or technological achievements.  Given the direction that TFC has already taken Minecraft, I for one don't see such a request as being all that unreasonable, in its abstract.

This topic ran its course there was no value reviving it. There is certainly no value in further post written just to provoke a response from the OP.