Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiesTech

Should TFC give more support to other playstyles?

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I have skimmed the forums and this seems to be mostly unique and I have posted in discussion to hopefully get some feedback without breaking the one suggestion rule.

What I want to talk about is game roles and professions (loose sense of those words.) Really what I'm talking about is play style. Currently TFC makes great pains to support a few play styles/roles. Namely:

• Farmer: Dozens of crops, nutrient management and animal husbandry
  • Cook: Two meal types, with more on the way, and varied flavors dependent on region/cook time
  • Miner: Support beams, Pro-pick, cave-ins and dozens of ores
  • Blacksmith: Interesting and varied system with leveling and multi block apparati
  • Builder: Many different wood/stone types with pleasing palettes, chiseling and plank items

It makes sense as these roles epitomize MC, but my question is "Should TFC support other roles as well?" Maybe a nomad tree to go along with the current metal-age village one, maybe a warrior tree, or even a bit of forestry? I'm not in favor of making the mod itself longer. The progression to Red/blue steel is plenty long. Instead I think that lateral growth should be the focus. Allowing and supporting life styles that don't quite go through the linear progression to steel.

Let me know what you think, please give your honest thoughts and, if you are so inclined, describe some aspect of lateral growth you might want to see.

Thank you, LiesTECH

Nothing is really stopping you from playing it however you like.

He's not saying anything is stopping him. He's saying that certain play styles don't have much to make them interesting, and some additions could be fun. Kind of like adding more mobile structures or other similar things for nomads, or adding more complex forestry mechanics for woodsmen. Me, I'd kinda like to see an OPTION (not a forced way) to reduce the amount of wild food. I can get a giant amount of food and other resources simply from gathering it after winters, and don't have much of a need for farming other than for material crops like jute, or if attempting to mass produce booze. It'd definetely add to the farmer role, and make the gathering role much more interesting and meaningful. 

I would guess you play SSP. TFC is balanced for SMP. Also the year length and crops die options in config are ways to already make food harder.

Exactly Bunsan, I'm looking for more roles I could potentially fill on a server that are supported by the mod. Nothing stops me from playing how I like; except inconvenience and gameplay that is the exact same as vanilla. Currently most heavily supported roles are in a segment I like to think of as 'Town Builder' roles, but exploration and discovery roles are a little lacking in variety, except for finding new types of wood, ore and food, which is the exact same as vanilla. Plus what if I never want to stop moving and really want to take more than 100 stacks of things with me? Or maybe I want to be the eternal savage, I'm not saying make the mod longer I'm just expressing an interest in the mod supporting more than just the Town Builder roles.

Again I can play how I want, but eventually I have to become a town builder or never do anything besides a couple of tasks in the mod.

I'm not sure that explorer role is really lacking. Some basics, some tools, a boat and a barrel full of empty vessels on your back. Throw in a donkey or horse and you are set. Explorer is a critical role in a group as TFC requires you to go out and find resources. With a minimal mod you can map and flag resources and bring back much of what the group needs. I'd love a mod like journey map to have a method of sharing mapped terrain with people you choose.

For a nomadic lifestyle many of the tools and features are there, a big problem is in MC itself. You could build up a pack of donkeys, but leads are crap and you can't tether animals together. Basically you'd need and want animals, but we all know how difficult that is. As far as balance I think it may be difficult to provide a portable shelter that would be higher tier that would be possible with a nomadic lifestyle. It isn't so much shelter that is needed, but a safe perimeter. Once I have a saw I can throw up a decent shack in a minute, but then it is sleep or sit waiting for night. One needed feature has already been suggested many times; the ability to put barrels, large vessels and anvils on donkeys. Without that it is difficult to progress as you would basically have to setup temporary camps to do certain tasks and either leave camp to return later or just abandon stuff.

It would be interesting to set a migration route and have certain areas that you settle at given times of year. Then set up small farm plots at camps and along route and try and time it so crops were ready when passing through. Maybe just have perimeter walls and then set up small shelters that you tear down when you leave.

Edit: my comment about SSP was in regards to living off land. That is not nearly as easy in SMP due to competition/more mouths or time passing when you are offline.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0