Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Next_Gen_Gaming

Better block breaking for ENTIRE trees (yes that means leaves too)

Please read topic below before answering!   13 members have voted

1. 1. Would this make TFC better?

• Yes, That would make it soooo much better!
    • Oh hell no!! that's terrible.....

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 posts in this topic

Not all of us have the best PCs, so harvesting big (jungle and large complex shaped) trees for some people is not an option....  Maybe adding this as a config option would be the best way to go. So, my suggestion is to instead of having instant break, for less capable computers when enabled this option would allow for an incremental or layered breaking.  This will allow for the tree(s) to be broken in layers (block by block) so the computer isn't stressed all at once and instead only harvests only upto about 10 blocks a tick (thats still up to 200 blocks a second!), and if still somehow think that this option is not good and can not harvest trees fast just use Veinminer (this also does apply to other things such as crops and trees etc. not just ores!): http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1292260-1-5-x-1-6-x-vein-miner-quickly-mine-veins-of-ore

Not sure how this could be implemented, but if it could help with server crashes I wold like it.

You can already do this, start 3 blocks up 5 high tree and only the top will be cut. To completely cut a tree you MUST cut the bottom block.

yes this can prevent crashes as it is less work for the system to do in the same tick

You can already do this, start 3 blocks up 5 high tree and only the top will be cut. To completely cut a tree you MUST cut the bottom block.

I understand what you mean, but when you start and you have a large tree, chances are that you will not go hunting 50 trees just so you can make a noob tower and cut the top of one REALLY big tree, 5-10 blocks are not bad but 20-30 is bad as far as lag goes

Yes, but wishing that all players in a server will do it like that , is unrealistic. It would be better if we had a way to limit that, preferable with a config option so single player can keep what they have now, but servers or people with slower systems can change it. 

Or a wood cutter skill or axe skill that limit number of blocks broke at the same time with an axe.

So no more sequoia trees at the beginning (or so you must climb at the TOP of it with ladders and cut one log at the time).

*this should increase difficulties and add a better balance for log ressources during the game.

Or a wood cutter skill or axe skill that limit number of blocks broke at the same time with an axe.

So no more sequoia trees at the beginning (or so you must climb at the TOP of it with ladders and cut one log at the time).

*this should increase difficulties and add a better balance for log ressources during the game.

well that is already done so by the durability of the axe.... if the axe has not enough durability the tree will not break

Yes, but wishing that all players in a server will do it like that , is unrealistic. It would be better if we had a way to limit that, preferable with a config option so single player can keep what they have now, but servers or people with slower systems can change it. 

I actually stated that the config option was the best way to go! :)

(I did an edit to the topic since now I realize thats not what it sounded like)

As a player, I would find this incredibly annoying. Going back to Vanilla MC after playing TFC is sooooo annoying that I have to chop every block, especially when one of my oak trees going SUPER sized and I'm Sky-blocking.

As far as I know, the only way to implement this would require players to break the bottom trunk block multiple times. There's really no easy way to only break a section of the blocks, and then somehow let the rest of the tree know that on the next tick it should break more blocks. The whole system is basically triggered by a single event, and then the tree scans up, and chops down. There's no way for us to say "Ok hold on a tick or two here before chopping down more blocks" unless we turn trees into ticking tile entities, which would create a fair amount of lag.

As far as I know, the only way to implement this would require players to break the bottom trunk block multiple times. There's really no easy way to only break a section of the blocks, and then somehow let the rest of the tree know that on the next tick it should break more blocks. The whole system is basically triggered by a single event, and then the tree scans up, and chops down. There's no way for us to say "Ok hold on a tick or two here before chopping down more blocks" unless we turn trees into ticking tile entities, which would create a fair amount of lag.

well.... if this is not an option could it be done so we can use veinminer's mining code instead when it is installed (again a config setting)??? since veinminer does use incremental break code. Currently TFC does not let veinminer be able to add the tools to the tool list and use them for their purpose. :(

Currently TFC does not let veinminer be able to add the tools to the tool list and use them for their purpose. :(

There is absolutely no code in TFC that forces it to not let veinminer add the tools. If there is a compatibility issue, that is something completely different that can be fixed. Are you sure that you're even trying to add them properly?

There is absolutely no code in TFC that forces it to not let veinminer add the tools. If there is a compatibility issue, that is something completely different that can be fixed. Are you sure that you're even trying to add them properly?

yes I tried :( I will try with an updated version and see if maybe somehow that issue was fixed

I'm not familiar with veinminer's system for adding tools. I'd suggest you double check the change log for that mod as well as any available documentation since it's entirely possible that you add tools using unlocalized names or class names, instead of ID numbers. I have no idea how you tried already, or if you are able to successfully add modded tools from any mod other than TFC, but I'd suggest you ask for support through their people on how to add other mod's tools.

So I'm looking through veinminer's source code, and at a first glace I don't see how it is any different from how TFC already chops down trees. It's still updating a lot of blocks every tick, it's not spreading them out over multiple ticks. If it was within the radius and range, it broke it all at once. As I stated this would in essence be no different then us making it so that an axe could only chop X amount of blocks at a time, requiring players to repeatedly break the bottom block of the trunk in order to take down the entire large tree.

… There's no way for us to say "Ok hold on a tick or two here before chopping down more blocks" unless we turn trees into ticking tile entities, which would create a fair amount of lag.

Although blocks and tile entities normally go together, I don't think there is any actual requirement for it. So most of the time blocklognaturals would have no tile entity, but when a log is mined you place a single tile entity at the position which was mined and let it handle some blocks per tick until it's done and then it deletes itself.In order to retain the "chop from top down" mechanic, you'd have to store the entire "scan"* in the tile entity though (probably better than repeating the scan each tick). I've been trying to think if that would cause problems if things were changing while the tree processing is ongoing (another tree grows close by, someone else finishes their chop soon after, or maybe the forest is on fire), but as long as you check that the block id and meta of each block you want to remove this tick matches that of the original chopped block, I think it should be okay.Although I'm guessing it's all the light updates that make sequoia-chopping so laggy/crashy, another thing to look at is the number of item entities created (80-ish?). Instead of having each block drop its own item, maybe the tile entity keeps count and only drops an item entity when it's got a full stack, reducing the number of item entities by a factor of 16 (for example, 5 instead of 80).* not the massive array of booleans, but a 1-D array of log positions to remove.

I'm not familiar with veinminer's system for adding tools. I'd suggest you double check the change log for that mod as well as any available documentation since it's entirely possible that you add tools using unlocalized names or class names, instead of ID numbers. I have no idea how you tried already, or if you are able to successfully add modded tools from any mod other than TFC, but I'd suggest you ask for support through their people on how to add other mod's tools.

the problem was that there are spaces in the mod ID's for for example; the copper shovel ...xxxx.Copper Shovel instead of xxxx.CopperShovel. Veinminer doesn't except spaces in the mod ID's as it thinks that its anothor piece of the command such as /veinminer toollist (tool) add (tool ID)

the problem was that there are spaces in the mod ID's for for example; the copper shovel ...xxxx.Copper Shovel instead of xxxx.CopperShovel. Veinminer doesn't except spaces in the mod ID's as it thinks that its anothor piece of the command such as /veinminer toollist (tool) add (tool ID)

Have you tried replacing the spaces with underscores, or putting the whole thing in quotes? While I understand that it is bad practice for us to have spaces in our unlocalized names, and we do plan on changing that for the next major save-breaking release, it is not something that we can currently fix in TFC without essentially destroying all those items in people's existing saves. I'd maybe ask the veinminer people if they can look into adding support for spaces in unlocalized names, or adding tools via a config file which parses spaces, rather than through command-line-only. I'm sure we're not the only mod out there that made the mistake of using spaces in unlocalized names.

My guess on whats making the lag (could be false): 1. Not grouping the entities into clumps; this for sure causes lag on some PC's since the items for some reason don't clump into large groups like they should.

Have you tried replacing the spaces with underscores, or putting the whole thing in quotes? While I understand that it is bad practice for us to have spaces in our unlocalized names, and we do plan on changing that for the next major save-breaking release, it is not something that we can currently fix in TFC without essentially destroying all those items in people's existing saves. I'd maybe ask the veinminer people if they can look into adding support for spaces in unlocalized names, or adding tools via a config file which parses spaces, rather than through command-line-only. I'm sure we're not the only mod out there that made the mistake of using spaces in unlocalized names.

I tried replacing the spaces with underscores but sadly no avail because it looks specificaly at the ID's structure and if it has space and what you entered does not it will not accept it....

I tried replacing the spaces with underscores but sadly no avail because it looks specificaly at the ID's structure and if it has space and what you entered does not it will not accept it....

Does the mod seriously only support adding the items through commands? Is there no config file support for it? Did you even read the entire rest of my paragraph?

Does the mod seriously only support adding the items through commands? Is there no config file support for it? Did you even read the entire rest of my paragraph?

sorry and that is how it adds, through the command line and I don't see a config option for parsing spaces.

So there's absolutely no veinminer-related files in your config folder that perhaps have a list of tools and/or blocks? I'm asking this because looking through their source code, you should be able to add it via config.