[TFC 0.79.23+] Streams - Real Flowing Rivers

delvr
By delvr in Addons & Applications,
Hello players, this add-on introduces real flowing rivers, with a true current, to TFC. It is also a standalone mod for vanilla Minecraft, but contains special support for TFC worlds. These rivers are generated in the world using custom non-decaying flowing blocks and are much larger than anything the player could create using buckets. They originate in multiple sources and flow down the terrain through slopes and waterfalls, joining together into wider rivers until they reach the sea (or the old-style sea-level static rivers). They are considered fresh water for TFC purposes so you can drink from them, and cattails grow along their banks. Keep in mind this is still an alpha release. Rivers are fairly short and don't always appear in ideal places, but this will improve in time. Please see the FAQ section below for explanations of various known issues, including tips on finding a river. Let me know of any other bugs you encounter or suggestions you may have. Here's a sample picture from version 0.2, featuring the new underground river tunnels: (Taken using TFC 0.79.28 seed 6121434878972608106 at coordinates 336 149 693) Here's a sample picture from versions 0.1.x which featured canyons instead of tunnels: (Taken using TFC 0.79.15 seed -8787588510830975493 at coordinates 78 152 -8574) And here's another picture from versions 0.1.x, with shaders. (To enable shaders with Streams blocks, read the FAQ below) (Taken using TFC 0.79.15 seed -3611466081960989596 at coordinates -984 144 -8315) Compatibility The current version of Streams is compatible with TFC 0.79.16+ and requires Forge 10.13.1.1217 or newer and the Farseek API version 1.0.4 or newer. Version history is available along with the file downloads on curse.com. Note: Different versions of TFC can use the same version of Streams but require different versions of the Farseek API: TFC 0.79.23+: Farseek 1.0.9+ TFC 0.79.16-22: Farseek 1.0.8 Download To install, download both Farseek and Streams jars and place them in the "mods" subdirectory of your Minecraft install alongside TFC. (On Windows, that's %APPDATA%/.minecraft/mods.) If upgrading from an earlier version, make sure to delete the old jars. FAQ How do I find a river? For a quick demo you can try the seeds and coordinates from the sample pictures. Otherwise besides walking along coastlines, you can use the game log as a shortcut to find rivers. The log file is log/latest.log. (You can also view the console in real time: in the launcher go to "Settings" then turn on "Keep output log when game starts" and use "Filter" at the top left to find "Streams".) Then when you generate a world, look for an entry like "[06:07:42] [server thread/INFO] [streams.world]: River at tp -24 67 -161". This gives you the coordinates of a river, and you can copypaste it as a "tp" teleport command if you're in Creative mode. I find that I get a river on initial world load about half the time, so if you don't get one just keep trying. How do I make shaders work with the river blocks? You need to specify the block IDs in your shader configuration. Enable the game log (as explained in the answer above) and look for a message starting with "Shader configuration". There you will find a pre-formatted configuration line to put in the specified config file. The block IDs will also include TFC water blocks, but will change with every combination of mods so make sure you re-check it when adding/removing mods. Does this mod replace the existing static rivers? No, the old-style sea-level no-current rivers are still around. In fact you will often see flowing rivers terminating in those. Can I get rivers in my existing world? Yes, but it probably won't look good. You'll get a patchwork of incomplete river pieces where new and existing chunks meet. You can still do it if say, you're committed to travel far away from your current location, but the mod will warn you to backup your world before proceeding. Streams won't perform the backup for you so make sure you do it! Can I create my own rivers? Not at the moment, as the custom flowing blocks are not available to the player. You can alter the existing ones somewhat by digging the shorelines, the rule being that two river neighbors will combine into a new river block by averaging their currents. However a channel dug away from a river behaves as normal decaying water. Later I might add a special bucket that creates custom flows. Can I boat on the rivers? Sure! Give it a try. If you just drift along you shouldn't reach boat-breaking speed. Note that boats have always been rather buggy and more so with river flows. You may experience some desynchronization. Are there any underground rivers? How about rivers of lava? Rivers do sometimes form tunnels in recent versions although they don't flow below sea level. Lava rivers are all planned for an upcoming update. Why do I sometimes see rivers crossing each other or sources halfway in mid-air? I haven't found out why but I'm working on fixing those. Where is the source code? It is now available on GitHub. Please note that the code is in Scala (not Java) and that most of it will be replaced as part of an upcoming major rewrite. How can I help with the mod? There's many ways! You can give feedback, report bugs, help with profiling performance, post screenshots and videos, or donate through the Paypal button below. All help is greatly appreciated! (Note: This post was adapted, with TFC-specific information, from the original thread on MinecraftForums.)
  • 121 replies