Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Brass

43 posts in this topic

Maybe confusing metals like brass cant be made in a vessel or when you put a brass combination when you click the button it gives you a warning

I've seen a video that says ancient people used brass for armor. Maybe brass helmets and brass chain armor but it will only give a 50 bonus than copper at the original stats and has the same durability

The request was not what uses we can find for Brass. It was what can be done to help new players realize it is not an alloy used for tools, armour, etc.

I've seen a video that says ancient people used brass for armor. Maybe brass helmets and brass chain armor but it will only give a 50 bonus than copper at the original stats and has the same durability

As Bunsan stated, we are not looking to change the game. I'm asking for suggestions on how to update the wiki.

As for that video, you'll need to actually link it and provide sources or you really can't use it as evidence to support your argument.

The wiki needs improvements on many pages (updates rather from the previous tfc version). Mulling about on this issue of decorative alloys is not necessary imo. The wiki is clear enough about it and there will always be stupid/stubborn people who will complain.

The wiki needs improvements on many pages (updates rather from the previous tfc version). Mulling about on this issue of decorative alloys is not necessary imo. The wiki is clear enough about it and there will always be stupid/stubborn people who will complain.

Agreed.  Some people just don't pay attention to what they read or they read the first part of a sentence and assume the rest.

I don't think most people today know what the different metals are and what they are used for.  Most everything is made of plastic now.

One of the problem is most likely that when other mods introduce new metals, they often introduce new sets of armors and tools made of the new metals. So when you get to a mod like tfc where you get new metals, people will assume that it's like other mods and that you can make everything out of it.

The wiki might need rework, but I would say that it is already clear that Brass is not a tool item. I think that the wiki already take it's precautions in the Metal tier table, where it show what you can do out of each metal. I would have added all the possible items made of each metal (like the sheets), because the original idea for me was to put all what can be made of each metal in this chart. So I think that there is already enough done to tell people that brass in not a tool item.

The only thing I can think of that might help would be to add a preamble describing the history of each particular metal.  IE, Brass was commonly used as a cheap alternative to gold for decorative purposes, until the Industrial age when it began to have a few practical uses, like bushings, shell casings, etc. However, if the issue is simply that the readers aren't paying attention or not reading at all, then I don't see a solution except to remove it from the game.

Decorative brass made no sense since you would not be able to see it until you made it (vessel). I tend to forget not everyone uses NEI.

Judging from some of the new players I have seen in SMP, I don't think its possible to prevent the issue occuring from time to time. Not everyone is eager to read or learn.

You could separate non-tool alloys on another page entirely with warnings everywhere. It'd probably still happen.

Mistakes are part of the learning experience, like mixing bronze bar in a bronze alloy.

As Bunsan stated, we are not looking to change the game. I'm asking for suggestions on how to update the wiki.

As for that video, you'll need to actually link it and provide sources or you really can't use it as evidence to support your argument.

Well for one, I dont know why any one did this or you guys did i dunno. Have it in Big Red Letters Saying CANNOT BE USED FOR TOOLS.        

For the video its was on a dvd and if i could find it it was a little religious so i dont want to offend any one

And finally most people playing tfc probably quit for a while than started playing again after brass, tin, bismuth, ect. tools were removed.

Brass was use for armour, ceremonial armour. Sometimes it was used for ornamentation, but so was gold. You certainly would never want armour made out of gold for a lot of reasons. The confusion you may have is that the terms bronze and brass were interchangeable in past, the delineation only occurred in modern times. This is especially true in religious texts. In ancient texts assume if the term brass is used and they are discussing functional tools and armour they in fact mean bronze.

I for one would hate to see Brass removed from TFC entirely because I have recently put together a pack with a mod called Professor Flaxbeard's Wondrous Steam Power which consists entirely of Brass pipes, boilers ect. Because TFC has the means to craft the brass ingots and sheets this mod actually fits almost seamlessly with TFC. I don't have to tweak a single recipe for it to work and I want to thank Bioxx and the rest of the TFC team for making this possible :D

Kitty, I noticed that the metal page on the wiki (http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Metal) lists alloys at the bottom in alphabetical order, thus, as fate would have it, causing brass to be mixed in with the various bronzes.  You may wish to reorder these as well to further distinguish brass from bronze.

I don't know - I think it is clear enough on the wiki.

And I don't think it is a question of not reading the wiki as much as knowing brass, in fact, IS used to make non-sparking tools, like large sledge hammers, so it could be players know too much in this case about MODERN brass tools - and yes, they even use them to mine.  Also, even historians used to confuse brass and bronze in their writings.  So once again it could be players know their history but just don't know it's incorrect or based on flawed information.

But yeah, the wiki seems to make it very clear that in the game brass, gold, so on, are all useless.  

As a musician I would suggest you add in brass instruments. Trumpet, trombone, tuba, and euphonium so that players can play symphonies in the winter. I'd probably only suggest one sound from one instrument and not a full octave or such as the sound blocks in vanilla. That way you can also tell people that their useless brass can now be made in to instruments.*Note This is a joke*

Edited by dragonherald

As a musician I would suggest you add in brass instruments. Trumpet, trombone, tuba, and euphonium so that players can play symphonies in the winter. I'd probably only suggest one sound from one instrument and not a full octave or such as the sound blocks in vanilla. That way you can also tell people that their useless brass can now be made in to instruments.

We have a suggestions forum, please elaborate your suggestion there. Welcome to the forums!

Edited by Terex

We have a suggestions forum, please elaborate your suggestion there. Welcome to the forums!

It was just a joke.

Ah man, really? I had to edit my post because i too was joking about decorative brass monkeys xD