Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
vidaj

Railcraft compatibility addon - suggestions needed

7 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm tinkering with a small compatibility addon to bridge TFC and Railcraft. I just started today, so it's really just a hack at the moment.

But, I would love some input on how you would like the crossover to work!

Some things I think might make things interesting:

- Not using the Rolling Machine. We have an anvil, so let's use it.

- Not using the RC Blast Furnace, TFC has it's own. 

- Not using the rock crusher.

Some of the things I already have working:

- Making rebar in the anvil. (current recipe is a double ingot -> two rebar)

- Making coke oven bricks from TFC sand

- Making charcoal from TFC logs, turning 1 log into 500mb of creosote and 1 charcoal.

- Using wooden bucket to extract creosote from coke oven (still need to figure out how to texture it)

- Making wooden ties from sealing lumber in a barrel with creosote.

Some things I have observed that I probably won't be able to do without serious trickery:

- Making the forge accept coal coke as fuel. Therefore I'm thinking the coke oven can make charcoal. 

What I'm planning to do:

- Implement TFC recipes for the detectors. I'm really not sure about the animal detector, and how it will work with TFC animals, but I'll give it a try.

- Make standard rails with the anvil. RC recipe is 6 ingots -> 8 rails, so maybe 1 double ingot -> 3 rails can be a nice ratio.

- Making advanced rails? Could make some interesting welding recipes where you weld gold onto standard rails and maybe hammer some redstone onto in, if it's possible.

- See if I can make TFC fresh water compatible with the RC water tank.

- Make metal posts in the anvil.

Thing's I'm unsure of:

- Making RC tanks at all. Iron plates can be substitued for wrought iron plates, but does it fit? Maybe I'll just implement the recipe and make it configurable.

Things I have no idea how to implement:

- Circuit boards for the switching motor. Erm. Anvil? Seems a bit crude, don't you think? Maybe one could make an acid solution in a barrel and etch the circuit boards in it. Maybe.

RC is a big mod, and there's lots of stuff I haven't even touched in it.

I would really appreciate any tips on recipes or how some of the RC features might be implemented in TFC. Keep in mind that this is my first mod ever in Minecraft, so things might be a bit rough at the beginning. But I do have over 8 years of experience with Java, so I'm confident I will get things working :)

If you decide to port this to TFC 2, when it comes out you will probably want to talk to Bioxx about modifying the Forge/Blast Furnace code to allow Railcraft coke as a fuel. Bioxx implied that Railcraft compatibility modifications would be preferable to adding TFC coke. There is no point in bringing up modifications to the TFC 1 Forge/Blast Furnace code

Have you brought up the subject (or read about someone bringing up the subject) of TFC water in Railcraft tanks to Covert Jaguar?

The only way gold redstone combinations make any sense if there are some chemical or magical properties from the combination that makes things like powered rails possible. Maybe create a gold and redstone alloy and think of a recipe to add it to rails. The realistic choice is adding a electro plating technique, but something tells me you would prefer to go with welding instead

Circuit boards are "beyond the scope of the TFC timeline". So you might as well add blocks that make them that are outside the TFC timeline. Can you imagine someone using Chlorine or Sulphur based acids in wooden barrels (without thoughts of horror of course)?

- Making charcoal from TFC logs, turning 1 log into 500mb of creosote and 1 charcoal.

That recipe needs balancing, because right now 1 log isn't exactly 1 charcoal. It goes from 4:1 to 2:1 wood to charcoal when making charcoal pits, depending from how much wood is in the pit.

Rebar is not a tool it is an ingredient. You are confusing it with the crowbar.

Rebar is not a tool it is an ingredient. You are confusing it with the crowbar.

Yes you're right. Sorry.

That recipe needs balancing, because right now 1 log isn't exactly 1 charcoal. It goes from 4:1 to 2:1 wood to charcoal when making charcoal pits, depending from how much wood is in the pit.

Yeah, it most definitely does. I just added it to see if it worked, which it did. I didn't want to create charcoal at all, but the TFC forge is hard coded to only accept coal and charcoal. If it had a FuelRepository of some kind, I would just have added coal coke to that list and everything would be groovy. 

One issue that came up rather quickly with Railcraft is the lack of vanilla water. I have a solution for it, by making a tiny mod that loads after TFC and before RC and does some reflection trickery with the FluidRegistry and replaces vanilla water with fresh water. So whenever RC asks for water it gets fresh water, and it works like a charm. Steam engines run off fresh water, water tanks produce fresh water etc. I will do this mod separately from the RC integration mod and maybe toss in some other small water-compatibility mods for things like rotarycraft etc. That should make life easier for modpack creators.

Palisight: I like the idea of a gold and redstone alloy, so I think I'm gonna do just that :) Then maybe weld that to the rails, or weld it to iron and then create powered rails from that. 

I still have no idea how to do the circuit boards for signals and such in a believable way. I totally agree that one shouldn't make sulfuric acid in a wooden barrel, though. A large ceramic vessel would be more believable, but I don't think I can limit the recipe to just ceramic vessels. Need to look into that. One rather complicated recipie would be to smelt rock salt in a crucible to create hydrochloric acid, and mix that with iron powder to create ferric chloride, which is used for etching circuit boards. Due to the mechanics of TFC, this can be quite strange, since I would most likely have to create an ingot of hydrochloric acid. Maybe I can manage to fill a vessel from the crucible and use that to transport it to the large ceramic vessel. 

Anyway, thanks for the input, and keep em coming :D

I think this is a perfect idea and would be honored to give it a trial run in my Steampunk style TFC mod pack :D