Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lokoss

[Solved] food for first winter

11 posts in this topic

what food i need to stockpile for my first winter? how should i store it?

What ever food you come across is good for stockpiling, apart fruit maybe, because it has a quick decay. I'd suggest stockpiling vegetables, meat and grain in refined form. Also, you can eat seaweed. To harvest it use a knife on the seaweed block. Alternatively you can break the block by hand but that will consume the block below the seaweed. Dairy I guess isn't a thing you can easily get before the first winter unless you're lucky.

I prefer to store every food piece I have in a vessel in a cold, dark and dry place during the early game, but as time goes on and I am able to craft a chest, I move all the vessels into it. I am not sure however that the chest recognizes if it's in a dark and cold place, or even if the vessels know that the chest is cold and dark inside, so it might be better to store the vessels in a basement or something that resembles it.

Vessels on ground or chest are equivalent. Unless the chest is in the dark you will not gain decay modifier. Small vessel (not large), dark and cold (higher altitude) are the easy early game decay modifiers. As you go above sea level the temperature goes down the higher up you go. The change per block up is exponential. So the difference between 150 and 151 is minor, but 250-251 is substantial.

Other then that just be consistent with trimming decay. The higher the % decay on food the faster it will decay.

As for how much. As much as you can. Wild crops die in winter so no point leaving them. Fruit dies when its season is done, so grab when you see. Unless you have an abundance of passive animals I wouldn't kill them. Soy or fish for protein. I wander out on ice to fish from edge during winter.

ty for your answers .

i still need some advice about some game mecanics .

seaweed is a good source of food early and i use it alot, but i see in some stream that winter freeze the water.

is a good ideea to get the wild crops late autum (they grow more meybe and less decay)?

next spring will spawn random crops if i gather all crops?

if i dig 1 down , put the food vesel down and put a block on top count as a dark space?

how often should i trim the decay from food in vesel.

if i walk far away mobs(neutral) wil despawn and respawn(new ones) when i get back?

more questions as i play more  :D

ty

"seaweed is a good source of food early and i use it alot, but i see in some stream that winter freeze the water."

Don't worry for that, ice doesn't damage seaweed. Just break the ice block, and if there was seaweed there, it will reappear.

"is a good ideea to get the wild crops late autum (they grow more meybe and less decay)?"

This is a good idea indeed. Crops don't grow more after a certain point however. When they reach mature state they no longer grow. You can indeed have less decay on the crops because you harvest them later and so the decay triggers later too.

"next spring will spawn random crops if i gather all crops?"

Sure. Wild crops respawn every year, given that they meet the right conditions to spawn, such as temperature.

"if i dig 1 down , put the food vesel down and put a block on top count as a dark space?"

That should count as a dark space because no light goes through the block, however the temperature under the block could still be high enough to cause an increase in decay. Also be sure to use a non gravity affected block such as planks or thatch.

"how often should i trim the decay from food in vesel."

That's a persona choice. Personally I trim it once every 1-2 days during hot seasons and once every 3-4 days on cold seasons. The basic rule is that the more you wait to trim decay, the more quickly it increases. http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Food#Decay

"if i walk far away mobs(neutral) wil despawn and respawn(new ones) when i get back?"

TFC is a bit different from vanilla. I don't know enough about this to answer correctly, this time I can just provide a link to the wiki. It might be outated however. http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Mobs#Passive

TFC Neutral mobs do spawn and despawn. However not quite like vanilla. I'm not certain about despawn afaik they can just despawn in loaded chunks and possibly, but my hunch is that they don't, when chunks unload. The spawning isn't guaranteed like aggressive mobs. If conditions are met and chunks are loaded there is chance they spawn.

ty for infos.  it seems that my worries were exaggerated. winter was pretty mild. no ice and one snow whit no snow deposit on the ground. my food supply probably will last me until summer atleast. i make some nice progress and  make myself a tier 2 anvil and im half way to a bloomery.

now some more questions :D

any advice to find salt?

any advice to get animals over 2-3k water?

how long your stuff stay on when you drop on death?

sapling spawn in spring or random ?

how much HP points you get for each lvl?

any mechanics that increase your atack versus monsters ? i seem to hit harder now whit same weapon

ninja edit: e found some Sphalerite in a Gneiss deposit.  when i mouse over waila show me ore and ore icon but in the world the block have the gneiss texture. is normal or i have mess up textures?

• Salt - Just keep exploring. That's the only way to find salt. Rock Salt can only spawn on the surface layer of stone. There are no "tricks" such as looking in specific climates or biomes or coordinates or anything like that. Each time a new surface stone layer is generated, it picks one of the stone types at random. Eventually you will get lucky and it will be rock salt.
  • Animals - Make some ropes. The ropes generally don't break when you are a boat, and the animals will follow you. Alternatively, make the trip during a very cold part of winter where the entire water is frozen over and won't melt anytime soon.
  • Death - It's the exact same as vanilla, 5 minutes while loaded
  • Saplings - http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Sapling
  • HP - By default it's 20HP, but you can change that, as well as the HP cap in the config files.
  • Weapons - Nothing other than vanilla, such as jumping to create critical hits. Smithing skill does increase the amount of damage a weapon will do when it's created, but that amount is saved to that weapon item, and never changes.

im about to make a blast furnace and i want to know if i can relocate later without losing anything. 

a 7x7 charcoal pit will have the 5x5 layer whit or without corners?

getting familiar whit wild animals, get them home and close them in a pen they will breed ? wiki says they cant  BE bread but not sure if they will breed on their on if given enough time.

how is calculated the fall damage in TFC?

Blast furnace can be moved, just break with pick. Wild animals don't have babies and as far as I'm aware fall damage is relative to vanilla where one heart is 100 damage.

Fall damage is not a flat calculation, and is actually based off of the current max health. For each block you fall after the 3rd block, you take 8% of your max health worth of damage.

So for a player or mob that has 1,000 HP, falling for 4 blocks does 80 damage, 160 damage for 5 blocks, 240 damage for 6 blocks, etc.

If a player or mob has 2,000 HP, they will take 160 damage when falling 4 blocks, 320 damage for 5 blocks, 480 damage for 6 blocks, etc.