Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RandomASCII

Standalone TFC?

13 posts in this topic

I want to start by apologizing if this is something that has already been proposed. I didn't find anything in my brief search that seemed to suggest what I'm suggesting now.After a leave of absence from this site, I return to see a blog post-thing by the lord and saviour of TFC, Bioxx(hmm...would that make Kitty the Virgin Mary? Is it too soon for jokes?) problaiming that TFC will never see the light of version 1.8 of Minecraft. Personally, I don't blame him. Mojang's quick fix bandage known as the new rendering system seems to have caused the least stable framerates of any version I've ever played. Strangely enough, 1.8's framerate is so unstable for me that the game was completely unplayable for me until the release of 1.8.3. My framerate would shoot as high as 90fps and immediately dip between 7 and 15fps when doing ANYTHING. I even see it in YouTube videos whenever anyone has the F3 menu open. I'll see YouTubers with framerates at a whopping 200+fps dip just above 60 or 70 for no apparent reason. Thankfully, Optifine exists, and it allowed me to play at double the render distance I could play 1.7.10 at without dipping below 60fps. Although, Optifine doesn't always play nice with TFC. However, that is another story for a different thread. To get back to the point, I agree with Bioxx that 1.8 sucks, and that's without even delving into changes regarding modding. I would comment on that, but I haven't looked into modding myself since 1.5.Anyway, a thought popped into my head after reading the post and thinking about it. As much as it pains me to say it. Minecraft in general, from a programmer's perspective, seems to suck. From what I hear, the code is a disgusting mess. To make a long story short, this led me to wonder if it might be possible for TFC to stem beyond the Minecraft engine and even create their own engine. Obviously, there are cons to such a move; one that comes to mind is the fact that building an engine from scratch takes quite a bit more time than it does to rewrite a mod. Regardless, this is something I thought might be worth discussion.

Please go reread the homepage post. TFC will see Minecraft 1.8, it's just that it will be a rewrite that we are working on for TFC2, and not a port of TFC.

TFC will only ever become a standalone game if somebody starts paying us a nice salary.

Please go reread the homepage post. TFC will see Minecraft 1.8, it's just that it will be a rewrite that we are working on for TFC2, and not a port of TFC.

TFC will only ever become a standalone game if somebody starts paying us a nice salary.

Sorry for the confusion. Best of luck to the rewrite! Either way, I would probably play either way. If there was some sort of standalone, given my experiences, I would definitely pay for it. If such a transition would be well done, I might even pay full AAA retail price.

Money from people purchasing a game after it has been released is not the major determining factor in any game development. Proper funding before the game is even released while it is still in development is.

Money from people purchasing a game after it has been released is not the major determining factor in any game development. Proper funding before the game is even released while it is still in development is.

That is true. I guess what I meant is more of the "early access"-esque models where the user pays as an investment in the development.

Why don't you try setting up a Kickstarter page and see how things go? If you get sufficient funding you could start making a standalone game. 

I personally would love to play/pay it ;)

I know I would buy it myself. You could develop it in unity3d and have ultimate finite control over every aspect instead of needing to force a nightmarishly poorly coded game to do your bidding. If Bioxx does decide to try this I have a suggestion for him: think about cubic chunks Bioxx. It will reduce the amount of active blocks significantly and will make creating realistically scaled environments so much easier...

Heck if it isn't super difficult to do (I have seen it done in early minecraft..) try out cubic chunks in the current TFC incarnation :)

Edited by Balthizarlucien

I know I would buy it myself. You could develop it in unity3d and have ultimate finite control over every aspect instead of needing to force a nightmarishly poorly coded game to do your bidding. If Bioxx does decide to try this I have a suggestion for him: think about cubic chunks Bioxx. It will reduce the amount of active blocks significantly and will make creating realistically scaled environments so much easier...Heck if it isn't super difficult to do (I have seen it done in early minecraft..) try out cubic chunks in the current TFC incarnation :)

It's funny you mention that, because I know someone who is making a voxel game with chunks that are 32m^3 instead of 16x16x256. My computer has a Pentium 4 processor, 3GB of RAM, and a GT610, yet despite the game having blocks that are half the size(which means a SIGNIFICANTLY higher polygon count) and 256x256 textures by default, I'm able to keep the game at a consistent 30fps at 720p with a view distance that's almost double Minecraft's default.Granted, this game in particular is FAR better written than Minecraft, but I specifically remember this person saying that a large chunk of the performance increase is because of the chunk size.

32*32*32=32768 blocks per chunk.

16*16*256=66536 blocks per chunk.

Is the render distance the same in chunks, blocks or not the same at all?

Also, what is happening in the background?

You are comparing apples and oranges.

I would def buy this, but let's face it, it will probably never happen (unless some kind of Kickstarter page or anything of the like is opened and  runs successful).

32*32*32=32768 blocks per chunk.16*16*256=66536 blocks per chunk.Is the render distance the same in chunks, blocks or not the same at all?Also, what is happening in the background?You are comparing apples and oranges.

Minecraft already has built in code to handle the render distance etc. As I stated in my post someone has already achieved this in earlier versions of Minecraft with some impressive results.

There are many stand-alone games similar to Terrafirmacraft, for example "Stranded Deep". None of them has ever reached release, most of them die after a while and not a single one has been successful in terms of money/hour payment for the devs (or would have if they would have continued development). A stand-alone TFC would just be another stone of the beach that would be forgotten sooner or later.

If you want to accelerate development, think about how you can get more people in your team. There are enough competent people out there that would help development for a while.

32*32*32=32768 blocks per chunk.

16*16*256=66536 blocks per chunk.

Is the render distance the same in chunks, blocks or not the same at all?

Also, what is happening in the background?

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Are you asking if the render distance is based on the same distances as Minecraft? If that's what you mean, the render distance is based on the game's chunk size (32^3). I'm not quite sure how to answer your other question, as it's relatively vague.