Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
callisto8413

Shellfish

16 posts in this topic

Today, while playing Terrafirmacraft, searching along the beach I was thinking about Stone Age families and how they use to visit the shores of Europe, every year, to enjoy the great feast of shellfish you could find in those days. Mussels, clams, oysters, crabs and so on.   Of course their number would depend on the season.  But before fishing became a industry the shores would have been teaming with life.

Not even counting the birds and other animals that would have also been searching the sand for food.

My island, so far I believe it is a very large island or a series linked together, has tons of seaweed and only about four sources of water I have found so far - all on the coast.  I have found a few plants - two berry bushes, three tomato plants, three cabbages and have collected them (and their seeds).  And one fruit tree - unknown type because at the same time I found the only animal that seems to share the island with me - a growling bear.   Who no doubt was also combing the beach for something tasty to eat.  In fact, unlike earlier bears, his AI was very active - he seemed very interested in founding a way up the cliff to hug me.  And he found a way.  First time I have every done a running jump off a cliff without looking before had - thank you very much devs.  I was allow to land in the water and swim away.  

But let me get back to the point - maybe clams could be found in the shallow salt water areas?  Not that I can't live on seawood - as long as it regrows.  And if I make enough spears I will soon have a bearskin bed.  But some meat in the diet would be nice for us island natives.

Sorry if somebody already suggested this.

I like the idea, maybe clams could also spawn on seashores. They could be rendered similar to stones in Terra Firma Craft.When picking up a clam, you would have a chance to either find it emtpy, rotten or fresh.Empty shells were often used as tools in the past, so for example you could use an empty scallop shell instead of a knife, when scraping leather. Eating the rotten clam will result in poisoning, but you could clean out the shell to use it as a tool. A fresh clam would have to be cooked before eating.

I think this would be a great addition to Terra Firma Craft.

the idea of a block sounds good - but I feel it would have to be at least underwater - so you would have to search or dive to dig out the shells.  Nothing easy but nothing too deep either.

You could have a sand block that gave off s particle effect occasionally. Then have it drop shellfish when broken. You could then borrow on ore code. Shellfish would form small surface veins.

I can't i'm allergic to shellfish

Steve isn't. Duh.Yeah, a new source of primitive food! How should it taste?

Shellfish would be like the protein equivalent of seaweed?

Yeah i like this idea! But like dunk said about the protien thing it might be good for it to have the same amount as fish

But, I think it would be tedious to collect enough shells to constitute a ration of food...

I am thinking of a shell block that have growth stages... The longer you let it be, the more it will clump... Actually, there might be a chance that the clams are washed away, so that's like 12%/15% of being washed away/growth.

Crabs, Prawn, Lobster, Clams and the alike would be a wonderful addition to TFC. Furthermore lobsters could for an example taste a bit sweet, and also a bit salty, clams would most likely be salty in taste as well. As goes for the clams maybe you should use a tool like a chisel or something to break it open?  

I really like the idea of adding some more water-bound mobs/resources.

If you're going to add crabs my only suggestion is to give them a very small *damaging effect (like berry bushes), because pinching. Not a huge thing but hey, it sure adds flavor.

Posted Image

Edited by Sahji

What if you could create traps for crabs/shell fish to go into? Traps could be placed underwater by a player(maybe bait could be added?) and checked in later days.

I've been clamming. Repeatedly. They don't sit up on the shore. You have to dig for the suckers. However, it would be hard to implement that I suppose so here's a simulated alternative:

You can right-click on a dirt/sand/gravel block below saltwater. Sometimes it will bubble if you do this. If it makes a bubble and you break it immediately after the bubble, you have a chance of getting a clam. If you wait too long or you get unlucky, you get nothing. Then you can cook and eat the clams and you can get the shells. As people have said, the shells could be used as a tool for digging, or maybe a small dish for drinking faster without a jug, or grinding them down for wampum dyes.

Alternatively, there could be oysters, which wouldn't burrow away but would be rarer, and would work the same once you found them. And sometimes you'd get a pearl.

It occurred to me that my clamming idea is basically the same as fishing but whatever, it's more easily available.

Well, for the long run, I think we can hang ropes in seawater vertically. After a months or so, you'll get a ripe batch of clams.

Pearls, anyone?

I would say this was actually a good idea. You could also possibly find out stars underwater which are edible and if you drop sand on them, you could get pearls (a new gem type), or, extremely rarely. black pearls, after a certain amount of time.

Support for this idea.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0