Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Enchantment system

187 posts in this topic

I don't know what are you guys planning to do with gems, but i have a full chest of them, and i just had and idea for using them.

Once you got the enchantment table, in order to enchant something, you will need some gems and lots of experience. You can only enchant gems in the enchantment table.

-The tier of the gems determines the enchantment strengh, as well as the experience cost.

-The type of the gems determines the enchantment type, so only rubies can have fire related enchantments, for example.

-There is a chance that the gem destroys when you try to enchant it. you won't get your experience back.

Once you have your enchanted gem, you can place it in an item in the same way you make double ingots: in the anvil. There is, again, a chance of getting the gem, the item or both destroyed when you try it; the better the item and the worse the gem tier, the lower chances of this happening -for example, when trying to place a maximun tier gem in a stone tool, you have 90% chances of getting one of them or both destroyed-

If you got the item enchanted, then it will have 2 durability bars: one from the item itself, and one from the enchantment. The tier of the gem used also determines how many uses the enchantment haves; once it depletes, you get the tool back with no enchantment.

You can place more than 1 gem in an item by placing the enchanted item and an enchanted gem in the anvil, but the chance of getting them destroyed is increased. If you manage to get it, the double-enchanted item will have twice the enchantment durability -if both gems had the same tier-. You can try again and again to add gems to it, but every extra gem increases the chances of losing the item when trying to place another one.

-sorry if you can't understand it, i'm from Argentina and i don't know pretty much english...-

Here's an idea - tiered enchanting stations, just like the tiered anvils. An enchanting station/table would require any sort of gem - not just diamond - and the quality of the gems used determine how effective the table is:

Chipped beryls and the like will produce a low tier table that has maybe a %50 chance of being able to complete even the most basic enchants, but crafting one with a pair of exquisite diamonds will keep even the most powerful spellcrafting at around 85% minimum success

Also, some high level enchantments will require a certain minimum tier table - just like how you can't smith steel on a copper anvil, a flawed amethyst setup should not be capable of giving you silk touch

I imagined something similar, but different to the first suggestion. Kind of like Final Fantasy VII materia. You'd slot gems into your tools on a special jewellers table-type workbench. The type and quality of the gem, along with the piece it's being affixed to would determine the effect. Removing a gem would lower it one grade in quality, allowing the tool to break while it's slotted in would drop it twice.

Here's an idea - tiered enchanting stations, just like the tiered anvils. An enchanting station/table would require any sort of gem - not just diamond - and the quality of the gems used determine how effective the table is:

Chipped beryls and the like will produce a low tier table that has maybe a %50 chance of being able to complete even the most basic enchants, but crafting one with a pair of exquisite diamonds will keep even the most powerful spellcrafting at around 85% minimum success

Also, some high level enchantments will require a certain minimum tier table - just like how you can't smith steel on a copper anvil, a flawed amethyst setup should not be capable of giving you silk touch

I just had the exactly same idea while i wasn't anywhere near to a computer ._. oh, well, thank you for posting it :3

I imagined something similar, but different to the first suggestion. Kind of like Final Fantasy VII materia. You'd slot gems into your tools on a special jewellers table-type workbench. The type and quality of the gem, along with the piece it's being affixed to would determine the effect. Removing a gem would lower it one grade in quality, allowing the tool to break while it's slotted in would drop it twice.

: I don't know, in that way it would be a little too easy to get enchanted items, since you can randomly get gems when breaking any kind of stone. The enchantments are there to help making things easier for the player, so it should be difficult to get any kind of enchanted item. Even if crafting that "jewellers table-type workbench" was way to difficult, once you got it you could have a ridiculously big amount of tools and armors enchanted...

Also, in vanilla MC, you need experience for any enchantment; i really like that, and i don't want to trash the idea just because another game has a nicer way to do it. FFVII things for FFVII, MC things for MC.

: I don't know, in that way it would be a little too easy to get enchanted items, since you can randomly get gems when breaking any kind of stone. The enchantments are there to help making things easier for the player, so it should be difficult to get any kind of enchanted item. Even if crafting that "jewellers table-type workbench" was way to difficult, once you got it you could have a ridiculously big amount of tools and armors enchanted...

Also, in vanilla MC, you need experience for any enchantment; i really like that, and i don't want to trash the idea just because another game has a nicer way to do it. FFVII things for FFVII, MC things for MC.

Yeah, I agree. Though it largely depends on how useful the enchantments are. I've only ever gotten chipped and flawed gems. Also a balance mechanic I thought of but forgot to mention for system like this... Certain enchantments might chew through durability faster than others, with higher tiers placing less stress on the tools they're used on. Perhaps gems could be enchanted with experience before being fitted in a jewellers bench, or something.

Mainly I just like the idea of different gems doing different things, and gems degrading through use. I'd be happy to help brainstorm unique ideas for each gem if that's the direction Bioxx is going with them.

Personally I've never been fond of the idea of 'spending' experience as it doesn't make any sense, but I'd be content if they renamed the mechanic or something.

Yeah, I agree. Though it largely depends on how useful the enchantments are. I've only ever gotten chipped and flawed gems. Also a balance mechanic I thought of but forgot to mention for system like this... Certain enchantments might chew through durability faster than others, with higher tiers placing less stress on the tools they're used on. Perhaps gems could be enchanted with experience before being fitted in a jewellers bench, or something.

Mainly I just like the idea of different gems doing different things, and gems degrading through use. I'd be happy to help brainstorm unique ideas for each gem if that's the direction Bioxx is going with them.

Personally I've never been fond of the idea of 'spending' experience as it doesn't make any sense, but I'd be content if they renamed the mechanic or something.

Imagine that, instead of "experience", it was called "magic" or "mana". It was the only way i found to give it some sense... except for the fact that it comes from mobs.

Whatever, i'm still not sure about that of "every gem has a different enchantment", since that would mean you would need to add to the game 65 enchantments -except if you use some of the vanilla ones...-. It would be a little simpler to add 1 -or more*- enchantment/gem, and exploit the fact that enchantments have levels -for example, chipped gems can have only level 1 enchantments, and exquisite gems can have level 1-5 enchantments-.

* in the case that more than one enchantment is avaliable for a single gem, the player could choose between them, just like you do in vanillaMC

Except for that, i agree with you.

Imagine that, instead of "experience", it was called "magic" or "mana". It was the only way i found to give it some sense... except for the fact that it comes from mobs.

Whatever, i'm still not sure about that of "every gem has a different enchantment", since that would mean you would need to add to the game 65 enchantments -except if you use some of the vanilla ones...-. It would be a little simpler to add 1 -or more*- enchantment/gem, and exploit the fact that enchantments have levels -for example, chipped gems can have only level 1 enchantments, and exquisite gems can have level 1-5 enchantments-.

* in the case that more than one enchantment is avaliable for a single gem, the player could choose between them, just like you do in vanillaMC

Except for that, i agree with you.

In order to cope, that's usually how I think of it. :L

I apologize, I'm not really being clear, I guess. What I had in mind is that each different kind of gem would do something different. The quality would only determine how well it does it. That's why they would degrade when removed or when the tool they're used on is broken. Gem grade would basically function the same way as enchantment level, except that the stronger the enchantment is, the more it cuts durability. (Keep in mind that with what I have in mind, they would degrade after a tool breaks instead of flat-out disappearing...)

Agate, amethyst, beryl, diamonds, emerald, garnet, jade, jasper, opal, ruby, sapphire, topaz, and tourmaline... It would be easier to come up with ideas if I knew how hard or soft Bioxx wants to go with the magical elements... Diamonds could increase durability... Rubies could give axes a percent chance of dropping a single charcoal from a tree in addition to costing some extra durability to use...

Wait, if each gem had different attributes, and multiple gems could be combined, diamonds would be sought after because they could counteract the durability reduction of other enchantment gems.

If I had more time I'd flesh the whole thing out a little more...

I apologize, I'm not really being clear, I guess. What I had in mind is that each different kind of gem would do something different. The quality would only determine how well it does it. That's why they would degrade when removed or when the tool they're used on is broken. Gem grade would basically function the same way as enchantment level, except that the stronger the enchantment is, the more it cuts durability. (Keep in mind that with what I have in mind, they would degrade after a tool breaks instead of flat-out disappearing...)

Agate, amethyst, beryl, diamonds, emerald, garnet, jade, jasper, opal, ruby, sapphire, topaz, and tourmaline... It would be easier to come up with ideas if I knew how hard or soft Bioxx wants to go with the magical elements... Diamonds could increase durability... Rubies could give axes a percent chance of dropping a single charcoal from a tree in addition to costing some extra durability to use...

Wait, if each gem had different attributes, and multiple gems could be combined, diamonds would be sought after because they could counteract the durability reduction of other enchantment gems.

Best I think to wait till Bioxx reveals even just a few basic ideas about where he's taking enchanting. Then we can use them as a jumping off point to at least be SOMEWHAT in the right direction with our suggestions. I like the ideas you're throwing out, but if bioxx already has a wildly different base concept for this then we're all just blowing smoke

i think i like the idea of a jewlers table, but i think that enchanting should be more difficult. how about this instead. First you make a jewlers table that works similar to the the anvil. Certain items can use more gems, i can see a sword with 5 gems maybe, a necklace with 3 and tools with 1 or 2, maybe 3.

Aafter you add the jewles to the item of choice, you have to take them over to an enchanting table. For every gem there will be a open enchantment slot that has the type of gem you added listed. When you place the tool or pecie of jewlery in the enchanting table it check to see which jewels are avalible and then allows you to select which jewel you wish to activate. Then depending on the condition of the gem, exquisite being the best, it will give you a success rate, so it is a bit like gambling. Then it checks 2 thing, first the type of gem, second the type of tool, it will list all the possible enchants. Each enchant affects a diffrent item or tool diffrently, so a sword would get one enchant while a pick would get another.

Then it roles a random number generator, from 1 to 100. If it lands with in the sucess rate it gives you the full enchant. If it lands outside the enchant success range it will either give you a lesser version of the enchant or gives you nothing and the gem is lost. However some gems will not have enchants for certain types of items, and some gems will have similar if not the same enchants. Rare gems may even have 2 or 3 enchants. When an enchant is successful, the gem disapears from the list and is replaced with the enchant/enchants.

Below the enchant list there is the list of gems still avalible for enchants. if there are several gem slots avalible, like in a sword, no gem can give more then one enchant. If you have more then one of the same type of gem the effects stack. So if you had 2 rubies in a sword and both are successful the you get double the enchant rather then the same enchant twice which does nothing. The higher the teir of gem the more Exp/Mana is used and the higher the chance of failure. To increase the success rate you would have to sacrafice more and more Exp. You could call the Exp lifeforce, give it a bit of an elderscrolls feel with the idea of soul gems. So those Exp orbs you collect are their souls and they are used to enchant your tools, weapons, armour, and jewlery. Such an advanced system would reguire mobs to be much stronger. One way to balance this is to make it so that stronger mobs apear as time goes on. So after 1 year mobs twice as strong as starting mobs atart to appear. So on and so forth every year mobs get stronger, until you reach the highest teir of mobs. I am using year as a place holder, it could be any amount of time, or even seasonal. Weeks, months, decades if you think it will take that long for a player to get settled, time length is up for debate.

I think you all overdoing it. How about this, an enchanting table where you can enchant the GEMS. the different gems could have different enchantments i.e. fortune for agate, efficiency for emeralds idk what else, maybe aqua affinity for sapphires. And then you somehow attach the gems to a tool and it picks up the enchantment. I know this is similar to what has been said but i think you are overdoing it. With my idea you still have a bit of randomness so like I want fortune so I enchant an agate, but I get blast protection instead (there would be multiple enchant per gem, lots of overlap obviously) then I'm like "Hey i can't enchant my pick with that," so I save it for when i get a chestplate or something later.

Well, in that case, you got a point. In order to counter that diamond issue, Bioxx could make diamonds WAY more difficult to find, so it would be rare to be able to use them in anything. Also, it would be a little more realistic.

i think i like the idea of a jewlers table, but i think that enchanting should be more difficult. how about this instead. First you make a jewlers table that works similar to the the anvil. Certain items can use more gems, i can see a sword with 5 gems maybe, a necklace with 3 and tools with 1 or 2, maybe 3.

Aafter you add the jewles to the item of choice, you have to take them over to an enchanting table. For every gem there will be a open enchantment slot that has the type of gem you added listed. When you place the tool or pecie of jewlery in the enchanting table it check to see which jewels are avalible and then allows you to select which jewel you wish to activate. Then depending on the condition of the gem, exquisite being the best, it will give you a success rate, so it is a bit like gambling. Then it checks 2 thing, first the type of gem, second the type of tool, it will list all the possible enchants. Each enchant affects a diffrent item or tool diffrently, so a sword would get one enchant while a pick would get another.

Then it roles a random number generator, from 1 to 100. If it lands with in the sucess rate it gives you the full enchant. If it lands outside the enchant success range it will either give you a lesser version of the enchant or gives you nothing and the gem is lost. However some gems will not have enchants for certain types of items, and some gems will have similar if not the same enchants. Rare gems may even have 2 or 3 enchants. When an enchant is successful, the gem disapears from the list and is replaced with the enchant/enchants.

Below the enchant list there is the list of gems still avalible for enchants. if there are several gem slots avalible, like in a sword, no gem can give more then one enchant. If you have more then one of the same type of gem the effects stack. So if you had 2 rubies in a sword and both are successful the you get double the enchant rather then the same enchant twice which does nothing. The higher the teir of gem the more Exp/Mana is used and the higher the chance of failure. To increase the success rate you would have to sacrafice more and more Exp. You could call the Exp lifeforce, give it a bit of an elderscrolls feel with the idea of soul gems. So those Exp orbs you collect are their souls and they are used to enchant your tools, weapons, armour, and jewlery. Such an advanced system would reguire mobs to be much stronger. One way to balance this is to make it so that stronger mobs apear as time goes on. So after 1 year mobs twice as strong as starting mobs atart to appear. So on and so forth every year mobs get stronger, until you reach the highest teir of mobs. I am using year as a place holder, it could be any amount of time, or even seasonal. Weeks, months, decades if you think it will take that long for a player to get settled, time length is up for debate.

Excellent. I only have one or two things to say: First, once a tool has an enchanted gem, it should be harder to get any other gem in the item enchated as well. If a tool with only one enchantment is already a great advantage for the player, I think a double or triple enchanted item is almost god-like.

Secondly, i think the strenght of the monsters should be seasonal; so, in summer the mobs are weaker than they are in winter. Or it could vary, depending on the mob -Creepers may be faster in summer and slower in winter, and skeletons fire arrows faster in autum and slower in spring-

I think you all overdoing it. How about this, an enchanting table where you can enchant the GEMS. the different gems could have different enchantments i.e. fortune for agate, efficiency for emeralds idk what else, maybe aqua affinity for sapphires. And then you somehow attach the gems to a tool and it picks up the enchantment. I know this is similar to what has been said but i think you are overdoing it. With my idea you still have a bit of randomness so like I want fortune so I enchant an agate, but I get blast protection instead (there would be multiple enchant per gem, lots of overlap obviously) then I'm like "Hey i can't enchant my pick with that," so I save it for when i get a chestplate or something later.

._. hmm, but in that way wouldn't it be a little easier? I mean, yeah, it's random, but even in that way there's no chance of losing anything... Like you said, wow, i got the wrong enchantment, but that doesn't mean it will not be useful.

Now that i'm writing this, i think something else that could be added are negative enchantments, which are enchantments that any gem can have and gives the enchanted tool a negative effect on the player when used. For example, an enchantment for swords which gaves them a curative effect when used on a mob, or another for shovels/pickaxes/axes which makes them completely destroying the block they are used on, without any kind of drops.

Best I think to wait till Bioxx reveals even just a few basic ideas about where he's taking enchanting. Then we can use them as a jumping off point to at least be SOMEWHAT in the right direction with our suggestions. I like the ideas you're throwing out, but if bioxx already has a wildly different base concept for this then we're all just blowing smoke

:| you're right... well, let's just hope that he reveals something about it soon. Or, if he hasn't thinked about it, let's hope that he reads this post.

For some reason I can't quote so I'll just say: I LOVE the idea of negative enchantments. And what if you didn't know the exact enchantment you got: it would just say ruby II or sapphire III. And you would have to figure out what you got.

Seems like a great idea and start for enchanting... Hope this gets seen by bioxx...

Hmmm...

...See now, I'm looking at all this and I'm thinking; 'What if there was a table like the planning table, where you could use special magic markings in rune shapes to make something like 'plans' for enchantments, that used gems instead of paper'?

And the plans wouldn't be something already known, or obvious... you could have little fairy circles generate in-world in random places (must have forest in the biome type), that have mushrooms growing in the shape of a random rune (though there might need to be some identifier to mark them as different from regular mushroom growths... maybe a faint particle effect? idk). There could be negative spell effects, like mentioned above, so you'd really never know what you're getting until you go to try it out! Or, bioxx could make it so that the correct patterns always have positive effects, but any pattern OTHER than a legit one generates a random negative effect. Also, perhaps only certain kinds of gems could hold certain runes, the same way only certain kinds of stone can hold certain ores?

Imagine wandering a forest near your home, and then coming across a cluster of glowing mushrooms arranged in a spiral - you rush home to your arcane workbench, and quickly scribe your new-found rune onto the first gem you happen to grab. You manage to get it right, even in your haste, but the gem remains lusterless. Damn! You etch the pattern into a second, more carefully chosen stone, and suddenly it starts shimmering with power - success!! Applying it to your sword and giving it a test swing, you clumsily knock it into one of your chickens...

...Setting the poor bird on fire. Awesome!! And pre-cooked food!! :D

It sounds very... arbitrary. I had the same thought about the research system in thaumcraft. It's like your just trying to make it harder by implementing random required events. i tend to have miserable luck with world gen, and i can see myself trying random patterns in the hopes of finding one. And if you made it so you had to discover it, then it really would be miserable. To refine my other idea, each gem has 3-5 enchantments that it can get. The tier of the gems determine how strong. So a flawed ruby could give fire aspect, fire resistance, sharpness, and efficiency, and it could be anywhere from level 1 to level 3 (cuz flawed is level 2). But you wouldn't know. It would just have the shimmer. And if you tried to connect to a tool that was wrong (say silk touch on a chestplate) then it just wouldn't work.

It sounds very... arbitrary. I had the same thought about the research system in thaumcraft. It's like your just trying to make it harder by implementing random required events. i tend to have miserable luck with world gen, and i can see myself trying random patterns in the hopes of finding one. And if you made it so you had to discover it, then it really would be miserable. To refine my other idea, each gem has 3-5 enchantments that it can get. The tier of the gems determine how strong. So a flawed ruby could give fire aspect, fire resistance, sharpness, and efficiency, and it could be anywhere from level 1 to level 3 (cuz flawed is level 2). But you wouldn't know. It would just have the shimmer. And if you tried to connect to a tool that was wrong (say silk touch on a chestplate) then it just wouldn't work.

But wouldn't finding runes be pretty much the same as finding ore veins? It's just another form of resource collection, honestly. And easier than normal too, since you really would only have to ever find each one once. Other than that, I pretty much just parroted your thing for consigning enchants based on gem type and value

Hmmm...

...See now, I'm looking at all this and I'm thinking; 'What if there was a table like the planning table, where you could use special magic markings in rune shapes to make something like 'plans' for enchantments, that used gems instead of paper'?

And the plans wouldn't be something already known, or obvious... you could have little fairy circles generate in-world in random places (must have forest in the biome type), that have mushrooms growing in the shape of a random rune (though there might need to be some identifier to mark them as different from regular mushroom growths... maybe a faint particle effect? idk). There could be negative spell effects, like mentioned above, so you'd really never know what you're getting until you go to try it out! Or, bioxx could make it so that the correct patterns always have positive effects, but any pattern OTHER than a legit one generates a random negative effect. Also, perhaps only certain kinds of gems could hold certain runes, the same way only certain kinds of stone can hold certain ores?

Imagine wandering a forest near your home, and then coming across a cluster of glowing mushrooms arranged in a spiral - you rush home to your arcane workbench, and quickly scribe your new-found rune onto the first gem you happen to grab. You manage to get it right, even in your haste, but the gem remains lusterless. Damn! You etch the pattern into a second, more carefully chosen stone, and suddenly it starts shimmering with power - success!! Applying it to your sword and giving it a test swing, you clumsily knock it into one of your chickens...

...Setting the poor bird on fire. Awesome!! And pre-cooked food!! :D

DO WANT.

This still feels like you're failing at making it difficult. Randomness = bad.

This still feels like you're failing at making it difficult. Randomness = bad.

No, randomness = how things actually work

Nearly EVERYTHING in minecraft, and even moreso in TFC, is based on chance. Javelins randomly break when thrown, ores provide a random amount of metal, ore generation is random, gem discovery is random, mob generation is pseudo-random, biome generation is pseudo-random (based on the random seed)... It's all randomized. Why shouldn't this be too?

I just feel that it would really fit in with the random, difficult, luck-based, structure-intensive feel of the mod

The difference is that the ores giving a random amount of metal is a controlled randomness, so to identical veins of cassiterite could yield 15 or 40 bars (or in between) but the difference between 15 and 40 tin isn't game breaking. same with the things you said. However, if instead you knew all the enchantments but got a random one, that wouldn't be game breaking either. But I'd you had to discover them, oops screw you.

Well... i wanna keep out of the discusion about randomness, so i will just say this:

-Maybe, around those mushrooms formations, there could be an special effect around it, which gives a hint of what's the enchantment used for. For example, around a fire related enchantment, things could be set on fire. Also, you could easily recognise which mushrooms are causing the effect... sometimes. Sometimes, with enchantments like Fortune, it wouldn't be easy to know...

-I don't think runes should only spawn in forest, or only be made of mushrooms. Imagine entering an anormaly big dungeon, and looking at the floor just to find a rune -made out of mossy cobble-.

-Lastest, the better the enchantment is, the harder it should be to find it's rune. I don't mean "you can only find one -insert awesome enchantment here- rune in the entire world, and it's sorrounded by 50 zombies at least"... What i mean is, making them have a minor chance to spawn.

gem discovery is random

It's interesting that you should say that. I don't see the need to throw another RNG into the mix though, when you consider that finding gems is already random.

Elaborating from where I was going before...maybe one of you can use it as a springboard. First divide the gem into groups. At first I thought to divide them into groups based off their crystal systems, (of which there are seven) but we didn't have enough gems to get balanced groups. ...That's probably way to many groups, anyway. Let's go with three. Each group would have a primary property. Each gem in that group would also have multiple secondary properties.

The primary property would determine whether the enchantment influences the player, mobs, or the environment. The secondary properties would include one mob affinity for each gem, and other odd effects, including unique TerraFirmaCraft relevant abilities. Most importantly, all of them painstakingly balanced to not being incredibly useful, but still convenient to have.

The first gem used would determine the primary property. To activate the secondary properties you would need to meet grade requirements. Each grade would be worth a certain value, and when a certain threshold is reached, the secondary starts working.

Wait, no. Time out. Forget most of what I just said. For those of you actually reading this post, I'll have you know I've been writing it for a couple of hours now, off and on, because I've been stumped, but now I've got something, possibly. Maybe. Forget the whole primary property thing. Let's just thrown in an accessory slot, make the type of accessory determine the target, and which secondary effect to use.

For example, let's say agate has the properties of 'creeper,' and 'gracefulness'. An agate bracelet would yield extra damage against creepers, while a pendant would decrease damage from creeper explosions. An anklet, however, would reduce fall damage from a certain height, and a ring might add a chance of mining stone without turning into cobble. Probably bad examples, but the idea is there. As far as gem grade, it could either enhance the effect, or increase the durability of the jewellery, or something.

Lately I haven't been feeling very high fantasy. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if gems could only be used to decorate jewellery, trinkets, and tools. Solely increasing their sentimental value. Too much arcane wizard-type stuff makes me not happy.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be grumping up planet Earth over there. :|

I don't like special items only for enchanting. I like the gem idea so how about the gems have attributes like you said, and enchanting gives one of several ideas (power, durability, special, special2) and so the random combination of say creeper+power would be blast resistance.

I don't like special items only for enchanting. I like the gem idea so how about the gems have attributes like you said, and enchanting gives one of several ideas (power, durability, special, special2) and so the random combination of say creeper+power would be blast resistance.

Neither do I. I want my diamond encrusted Excalibur. If everything was enchant-able, however, game balance would be thrown out the window and players would become unkillable juggernauts.

One way or another, I want to diamond encrust everything, whether or not it does anything.

Neither do I. I want my diamond encrusted Excalibur. If everything was enchant-able, however, game balance would be thrown out the window and players would become unkillable juggernauts.

One way or another, I want to diamond encrust everything, whether or not it does anything.

I don't either wanted to add any special block just for enchanting, and if you just read my first post, you will find there's no need to add anything BUT enchanted gems -not counting the readdition of the enchantment table- in the first way i could think about. Okay, it obviously needs some refining, but the idea is there.