Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lumireaver

How Do You Guys Feel About Forevertools [Repairing Tools & Armor]

76 posts in this topic

Okay, bear with me for a minute. I'm pretty sure we're all using TFCraft because we're in the mood for something a little more solid than vanilla. Something more grounded in reality. That said, I've had this nagging feeling that something is missing. There's no room for tools or weapons with that, 'My Father's axe!' kind of feeling. What I mean is, I feel we could stand to have forever tools that require maintenance and can break if misused or maltreated.

This should probably only apply to metal tools, since they would be easier to repair.

Just playing with the idea, feel free to discuss or nitpick.

I would like some kind of repairing mechanic, not like the repair from vanilla which doesn't make any sense at all(combining 2 used tools/weapons to make a new one!).

+1 this idea.

Also, inb4 reality/realism/real debate.

A bit repair system would be great... Like said above the vinalla one doesnt make sence...

This would fit in with the proposed enchantment system. So my fathers axe could be really good. I think that tools should break differently. Obviously when they run out of durability they break, but how about you get a "broken" tool that still has the enchantments, and maybe terraria-style reforgements, but is unusable, then welding it with a new head or an ingot or something would fix it. And then if you used it too quickly it would get "blunted" or something, and you'd have to work it on the anvil again to fix. You get my drift. Make tools break in more ways, but make them fixable, to a point obviously, so you can get more work out of those last few bronze. I also like terraria style reforming, maybe merge the repairing and reforging.

This sounds like a good idea, instead of a tool "breaking" it just gets rendered into an unusable state, where it just takes up space until it gets repaired. Repairing could be something like putting the broken tool into the plans spot in an anvil, and using an ingot of that tool's type heated almost to melting, then shaped like anything else on the anvil, using up both the broken item and the ingot in the process.

using an ingot of that tool's type

I'm not sure that would be a benefit if the tool is not a enchanted one.

The way I see the tool would break if used to the max, but if you bring it with very low durability to an anvil and use the hammer and maybe some other item(not a full ingot) it would get repaired. The more durability it was depleted the more of that given item it would use.

Maybe the repairing would be specific for each kind of tool, like a axe/sword would need sharpening(in a grinder), a plate armor would need some remodeling(in the anvil) and so on.

Likewise in the real life.

• Break the axe (or dull it up)
  • Heat it
  • Add some metal (Sheet of Metal, perhaps?)
  • Whack it with hammer
  • Achivement get! "Good as new!"

:)

At first I thought this was something about unbreakable tools but this makes a lot more sense and I would like to see this ingame.

I'm not sure that would be a benefit if the tool is not a enchanted one.

The way I see the tool would break if used to the max, but if you bring it with very low durability to an anvil and use the hammer and maybe some other item(not a full ingot) it would get repaired. The more durability it was depleted the more of that given item it would use.

Maybe the repairing would be specific for each kind of tool, like a axe/sword would need sharpening(in a grinder), a plate armor would need some remodeling(in the anvil) and so on.

If tools didn't disappear from your inventory, but instead turned into unusable broken tools you might as well take your tool home and repair it instead of making a new one. Maybe after being repaired so many times a tool could become an heirloom tool with some kind of bonus?

The idea of grinding axes, and swords is nice.

Actually, instead of turning completely unusable, the broken tools should probably still be at the risk of critically failing beyond repair.

Likewise in the real life.

• Break the axe (or dull it up)
  • Heat it
  • Add some metal (Sheet of Metal, perhaps?)
  • Whack it with hammer
  • Achivement get! "Good as new!"
:)

...I love your achievement for this. That should be implemented in the mod.

A new repair mechanic would be nice. I don't like the idea of using an entire ingot though, as you could just make a new tool with that ingot instead. You'de actually end up losing some uses (unless you do particularly bad with the anvil).

...I love your achievement for this. That should be implemented in the mod.

Totally agree, I second this.

@mohrad: I think it's a fantastic idea and well justified. However, instead of being broken, how about it works as well as its stone counterpart. I mean, if it's enchanted, I'd still like to occasionally use it if I found something worth using it on.

To be honest, always having to make new tools seemed to bother me since I can remember. I like using the metals and stuff as extra building materials (like making a diamond or gold block throne room, table, etc. instead of using it on tools).

It's always irked me in Minecraft how the material that goes into a tool or piece of armor is completely lost when that item breaks. I'd love to see a better mechanic for repairing items and/or recovering material from broken items.

Oh and I do like the idea of being able to repair a tool by making a metal sheet and I guess welding it with the tool in need of repair (or something like that).

A [insert you metal/alloy here] broken item could be melted down and get you a part of a ingot also. It makes no sense, the item don't just vanish in the air, it just is broken.

Oh and I do like the idea of being able to repair a tool by making a metal sheet and I guess welding it with the tool in need of repair (or something like that).

I do not like the idea of using a metal sheet, as it takes a 2x Ingot to make 1 metal sheet. You could make 2 more tools for the cost of whatever damage you did one.

But that's exactly the point. Two new tools would need to be enchanted again. I really don't want to lose that silk touch, it's worth two ingots. Especially if quality control/terraria style reforgements get implemented. Then I really don't want to try again.

Misleading topic title, but excellent idea. I love the idea of having repairable tools.

HOWEVER -

If repairable tools were implemented, I would need the original tool crafting recipes to be more difficult/expensive unless repairing added additional benefit.

What if each repair cost an ingot, but added +2% to maximum durability? Not necessarily solid logic, but it's a nice cumulative bonus that makes it sting worse when you lose a tool you've had for ages. The exact percentage could be lowered for the stronger (alloy) tools to keep thing balanced and reasonable. Not sure of the repercussions something like this would have since I don't know any exact figures.

How about this: a grinder or sharpener of some sort. Similar to the anvil perhaps. It would allow you to reforge (not repair) your tools to make them more efficient. There are a whole host of ideas that could work. Extending durability by making it last longer (by making so it has a chance not to use a durability point) making it faster, making it faster underwater , making it have a chance to break surrounding blocks, etc. combine this with the enchantment system and you could pimp your pickaxe pretty good. That would definitely be worth repairing right? Instead of repairage giving the boost, create a boost system so it's worth repairing good tools.

How about this: a grinder or sharpener of some sort. Similar to the anvil perhaps. It would allow you to reforge (not repair) your tools to make them more efficient. There are a whole host of ideas that could work. Extending durability by making it last longer (by making so it has a chance not to use a durability point) making it faster, making it faster underwater , making it have a chance to break surrounding blocks, etc. combine this with the enchantment system and you could pimp your pickaxe pretty good. That would definitely be worth repairing right? Instead of repairage giving the boost, create a boost system so it's worth repairing good tools.

First thought?

Skyrim

I was thinking goblin tinkerer from terraria. But with less luck and more skill.

Going back to this, if anyone is interested...

What if each repair cost an ingot, but added +2% to maximum durability? Not necessarily solid logic, but it's a nice cumulative bonus that makes it sting worse when you lose a tool you've had for ages. The exact percentage could be lowered for the stronger (alloy) tools to keep thing balanced and reasonable. Not sure of the repercussions something like this would have since I don't know any exact figures.

First, change pickaxes, axes, and possibly hoes to require a 2x ingot.

Tools would function normally until the tool ~10%(example) durability, at which point the sprite will change to reflect a blunted, or damaged-looking tool. Mining/chopping speeds and damage might also be affected. At this point, a player can choose to salvage or repair the tool. Salvaging would return a single ingot(or unshaped metal), while repairing would cost a 2x ingot or sheet, but would add an extra 10~20%(example) to total durability. Repairing a tool would be less efficient than creating a new one at first, but after many iterations, it would eventually become worthwhile.

Further, as long as a tool is in the damaged state there is also a random chance that it will waste more durability than normal. Losing 100% durability would break the tool, dropping a single stick and unusable scrap metal.

I can't do fancy animations, but I can do math! Slowly..! (Mind you, all of the numbers would be in the background -- Players wouldn't actually be able to see their bonuses...)

Using ten tools/iterations with an initial durability of one hundred (and excluding variables like material hardness/smithing skill) as an example.

Being Lazy and Allowing Tools to Break:

- Costs: 20 Ingots

- Yields: 1000 Uses

- Uses Per ingot: 50

Salvaging Immediately After Tools Blunt:

- Costs: 10 Ingots (Subtracting the salvaged metal)

- Yields: 900 Uses

- Uses Per Ingot: 90

Repairing (+20%) Immediately After Tools Blunt:

- Yields: 1890 Uses

- Uses Per Ingot: ~94.5

After twenty tools/iterations...

Being Lazy:

- Costs: 40 Ingots

- Yields: 2000 Uses

- Uses Per Ingot: 50

Salvaging Immediately After Tools Blunt:

- Yields: 1800 Uses

- Uses Per Ingot: 90

Repairing (+20% & Assuming a +400% Durability Cap) Immediately After Tools Blunt:

- Costs: 40 Ingots

- Yields: Uses 5220

- Uses Per Ingot: ~130.5

Keep in mind, those figures are just examples(more like a proof of concept, actually), and that actual figures could be influenced by how well the piece is worked instead of being a predetermined percentage. Going further, different metals and alloys could repair better than others. ...Discovering what works best for each metal would involve some experimentation. Also keep in mind that repairing is initially more inefficient than salvaging, and therefore, not a viable option for people who frequently die. Meanwhile people with a knack for surviving are rewarded with longer lasting tools in the long run, which are also that much more painful to lose when they inevitably slip up and kick the bucket.

Going back to this, if anyone is interested...

First, change pickaxes, axes, and possibly hoes to require a 2x ingot.

Tools would function normally until the tool ~10%(example) durability, at which point the sprite will change to reflect a blunted, or damaged-looking tool. Mining/chopping speeds and damage might also be affected. At this point, a player can choose to salvage or repair the tool. Salvaging would return a single ingot(or unshaped metal), while repairing would cost a 2x ingot or sheet, but would add an extra 10~20%(example) to total durability. Repairing a tool would be less efficient than creating a new one at first, but after many iterations, it would eventually become worthwhile.

Further, as long as a tool is in the damaged state there is also a random chance that it will waste more durability than normal. Losing 100% durability would break the tool, dropping a single stick and unusable scrap metal.

I can't do fancy animations, but I can do math! Slowly..! (Mind you, all of the numbers would be in the background -- Players wouldn't actually be able to see their bonuses...)

Using ten tools/iterations with an initial durability of one hundred (and excluding variables like material hardness/smithing skill) as an example.

Being Lazy and Allowing Tools to Break:

...numbesnumbersnumbers...

I really like this idea... EXCEPT for the 2x ingot for basic tools idea. It took me 3 hours of wandering wilderness to find anything that could be used for flux. My world file is insane now. Do not make me have to do this just for a goddamned tin pick

I really like this idea... EXCEPT for the 2x ingot for basic tools idea. It took me 3 hours of wandering wilderness to find anything that could be used for flux. My world file is insane now. Do not make me have to do this just for a goddamned tin pick

Which just makes me wonder why we can't use ground-up charcoal, coke, and/or sawdust as flux. (Honestly, I don't actually know if that's how it works.)