Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xenolith166

Whales and Whaling

Should there be Whales and Whaling?   30 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be Whales and Whaling?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but differently.
    • Yes whales, No Whaling.
    • No.
  2. 2. If so, how many types of whales?

• 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 78 (ALL THE WHALES)
  3. 3. Whaling Boats?

• Yes, Big ones!
    • Yes, Big ones, but big whales should be able to smash the small ones.
    • Yes, Big ones, but big whales should be able to sink them and smash the small ones.
    • Yes, Small ones to be launched from shore.
    • Yes, Small ones to be launched from shore, but big whales should be able to smash them.
    • No.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

As you can see, I got pretty excited about it.

Whales and Whaling
OR
Kill the Whales

This topic is about whales, whaling, and cookies. I will address all three of these things in order. First off,

Whales:
Don't worry, I'm not going to demand you add all 78 types of whales currently recognized by science. Just 3. Or maybe 4, I don't really care. Anyway, to my knowledge, there were usually these three types of whales involved in whaling:

"Right" Whales
I don't know why they're called Right whales, but they're fat, slow, and relatively easy to kill. Recommended for beginning Whalers. Here's what the Wiki says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_whale

Humpbacked Whales
Recommended for more experienced Whalers, they're bigger, stronger, faster, and all around harder to kill. Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humpback_whale

Sperm Whales
Huge, predatory whales. Can be 20 meters long. Big ones sink ships. Don't believe me? Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essex_(whaleship)
I don't even need to say that this is for experts only. It's not without its rewards, though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_whaling

Now, on to
Whaling:
Ok, let's just add whales and make everybody swim after them with a sword to hack off body parts. That'll be fun, right? Yeah, no. I propose we add some new

Ships/Boats
There are a few ways we could do this. One, we could have huge whaling ships, taking hundreds of logs to make, with smaller, faster boats tied to it, ready to be deployed at a moment's notice to go after a pod of whales and bring them back in to be sliced to pieces. Two, we could have the smaller, lighter, faster boats, and launch them from shore to go stab a nearby whale into submission. I'm open on how to put this in. Should they be able to be smashed, or not? Should only the small ones be able to be destroyed? I've put it in the poll. You guys decide. Also, with the small boats, you're going to need something to haul the whales with. I'm thinking a chain. Can make out of Wrought Iron or better, better chain lasts longer. Or better chain can haul more dead whales at once. Or just use a rope.

Harpoons
Alright, we've gotten the whales, now how should we kill them? Ooh, ooh, I know, I know! We'll throw really heavy rocks at them! NOPE. Stab it with a harpoon. Probably make them out of Wrought Iron or higher. Blah blah blah, better material makes better stabby. If quenching ever becomes a thing, there should be a bonus attack buff on blood-forged stuff, but it should eat some of your health whenever you use it.

DEAD WHALES
This will also talk a bit about how a butchering thing could be implemented. Whale dies, Dead Whale entity spawns in and sits there floating. Small boats can tow Dead Whale. When right clicked, chest inventory pops up with your harpoons and the dead whale meat, blubber, whalebone, if it's a sperm whale you could get the spermaceti by putting bottles in a special slot where they fill up with it. Maybe something like the tank cart from railcraft. When all items are taken out, or after a certain amount of time, it despawns.

Processing:
Cook the meat, boil the blubber (maybe in a crucible?) to turn it into whale oil, do something with spermaceti to turn it into sperm oil (pretty much whale oil, but more expensive) so you can use it for whatever (like lamps, the inspiration for this whole thing), yeah you're pretty much done. Find a use for whalebone, I've got nothing.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Open to suggestions. Xenolith, over and out.

You thought I forgot about the cookies, didn't you? Well, I did.

B)

EDIT: HOW DO I MAKE THE GAPS BETWEEN ROWS OF TEXT SMALLER!?!?!?!
Edited by Kittychanley
There's a light switch in the upper left to turn off BBCode formatting. You had a bajillion size tags in your post setting each section of text to 8 different sizes.

The problem is that water mobs in Minecraft a super duper derpy, especially the larger ones. All water mobs in Minecraft are essentially flying when they move, they just happen to try and stay flying under water. That doesn't always happen though, and you quite often end up with water mobs up in the air or on the shore. Vanilla's solution for this problem with squids is to just have them suffocate to death when they aren't inside a water block, but I'm not sure that's a good solution for larger mobs like whales, because you'd end up seeing them suffocate to death a lot more often when they just get too close to the surface.

The oceans in TFC also aren't all that deep either, so that's another problem.

I see how that would be a problem. For the size we could just make them smaller, but I have no idea how to help with coding. I think Dunk did some work with fish, maybe mess around with that a bit... Anybody else have any ideas? I worked a whole 45 seconds on this, I don't want it to die! XD

TFC's fish just enforce the fact that water mobs are super buggy. If you hang around a lake long enough, you'll see a few fish fly off into the distance way up in the air.

Silly idea.I think that this topic is *far*  too complex... There are enough things for the mod creators to spend their precious time on 

Also, if this were ever to get beyond a discussion topic it would open all kinds of cans of worms with regards to environmentalists.

Edited by ChunkHunter

Silly idea.I think that this topic is *far*  too complex... There are enough things for the mod creators to spend their precious time on 

Also, if this were ever to get beyond a discussion topic it would open all kinds of cans of worms with regards to environmentalists.

Just throwing ideas onto the page, dude. Didn't want to go saying "do this thing, no idea how." I still believe it should be at the very least an addon. I'm dead serious, I'd pay for this.

sorry if I came over too negative :)

Pax.

I think the obvious solution here is to add immortal flying whales. That should make everyone happy! 

On an even more serious note, is it not possible to write the AI so that the whales/fish would fly away from air?

Maybe you could make whales spawn in a deep ocean biome, i think you need to go far out to find whales

Kyleman, I think the developers are making it so you can have an "island" thing where you can pick the size of it and just have that as your world, I don't know much about it, but if so, they might be able to add that in around it.

My personal opinion is that with all the ocean around in TFC worlds, you should be able to get more from it than just seaweed and squid. I do, however, think that before you start going off on the ocean, you should have to get yourself a somewhat extensive level of land based technology. I could live with any changes the creators choose to make, or with them not adding it at all, but it would be very greatly appreciated if it were.

This topic is about whales, whaling, and cookies. I will address all three of these things in order.

wait... where's the cookies section??

Posted Image

wait... where's the cookies section??

Posted Image

Check the Spoiler at the bottom.

I do think that this seems far too complex for what is essentially an ancillary feature. Like Bees, I think whales are a good idea that probably requires too much work to be implemented. That said, here is my take:

There really only needs to be 1 type of whale. Mayyyybe two, one to live in the frozen arctic wasteland so there's something there. I don't think there needs to be a special whaling boat. The way Minecraft currently is, you wouldn't need it and if ships are ever added they will be sufficient. About the ocean depths... suppose whales were the size of Vanilla Ghasts (4x4x4), but not square. Maybe 3x3x7, I don't know. Suppose they always stayed below a certain depth*. Wouldn't that negate them flying into the sky.

*Just remembered whales are mammals so this doesn't really make sense. What if they had a very carefully scripted behavior where they would go up the serves, blow, then go down again. As long as it was very carefully controlled so that they went back down after, this would be super cool to experience, be very flavorful, and make spotting whales actually feasible.

If they're going to be deep-water, large, and rare, it only makes sense they should have a big payoff to killing them. I don't know if people eat whales but I'm guessing you could get a lot of food from one. Plus you could get whale blubber and use it for lamps.

Plus you could get whale blubber and use it for lamps.

That's actually the kind of thinking that led to me making this topic. Although instead of burning the blubber they boiled it in a pot to extract whale oil from it. As for the different types of whales, I was thinking there would be a kind of advancement system with a higher payoff and danger level for each whale. There could be just the two different types of whales, but the arctic one should be bigger, stronger, faster, give more stuff, you know, that kind of thing. It's a bit geared toward multiplayer, though. Maybe it should just be an addon. An addon that I would totally download.

Of course I like the idea of having many different kind of wales. Realistic thinking if we could have the Devs to work on one would be already great.

Not a coder myself, but I have the impression that the hardest part is to make the first one. Once you figure it out the AI and behavior to just change it's size and color seems easy in comparison. Again, I am no coder, so correct me if wrong.

Thanks for the support, man. Means a lot to me. Of course, there is only one Wales, and it's a country. :P But yeah, whales. I want them so I can kill them and cook their blubber into oil, then fry a whale steak in said oil. In my cast iron frying pan. Which should totally be a thing. *cough cough killthewhales cough*

The problem is that water mobs in Minecraft a super duper derpy, especially the larger ones. All water mobs in Minecraft are essentially flying when they move, they just happen to try and stay flying under water. That doesn't always happen though, and you quite often end up with water mobs up in the air or on the shore. Vanilla's solution for this problem with squids is to just have them suffocate to death when they aren't inside a water block, but I'm not sure that's a good solution for larger mobs like whales, because you'd end up seeing them suffocate to death a lot more often when they just get too close to the surface.

The oceans in TFC also aren't all that deep either, so that's another problem.

I guess but i have played with the mod Mo' Creatures and the dolphins don't always behave that way to warrant not putting them in. If that was the case you couldn't do animal husbandry because of animals escaping the fences and suffocating in walls. We all learn to deal with the issues Minecraft has and fails to really solve with any of their updates, but it doesn't keep us from added new features. 

As far as the op, i say stick with one type of whale, no whaling ships, harpoons ...maybe and must be iron or steel. Definitely the processing to make it balance with the olive oil. Olive oil should be the best oil with whale oil under that since it was stinky and replaced fairly quickly in Europe with kerosene. Olive oil was used in the Mediterranean regions while whale oil was used by the north/norse people and Inuits.

Although good luck finding olives, and even better luck finding kerosene. Yay, dead whales!

On a more serious note, in my opinion all the stuff made of metal for this should be able to be made with iron and above. And I wouldn't mind a bit of an upgrade to the vanilla boat. Maybe a 2-seater with a small storage area or something.

Yeah i have been playing the technofirma modpack so we have the ships mod already built in. Would love to go whaling :)

Really? How do you make said ships? Are they the kind like the Archimedes' Ships mod where you build it out of blocks? Or are they an improved version of the regular minecraft boat?

They are similar to the Archimedes' Ships, built with blocks, but much improved and have better boat mechanics. For instance, buoyancy/weight is a factor and the more wool sails affects the speed.

Posted Image