Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
noname_42

Food symbols depending on weight

25 posts in this topic

So my idea is pretty simple:Depending on the food weight, different food symbols are displayed 0-40 oz (tiny):                             post-6311-0-74399700-1429981273.png post-6311-0-14609700-1429982123.png41-80 oz (very small & small): post-6311-0-54856300-1429981276.png post-6311-0-81185500-1429982134.png81-160 oz (medium):             post-6311-0-71235400-1429981279.png post-6311-0-39928900-1429982137.png

I could provide more textures if you like those. First however I would like to know if this is even possible :D

Edited by noname_42

There are currently 84 different food textures, not including sandwiches and salads (which separate icons would have to use a completely different scale for since they don't get as large). That's at least 168 new textures to represent something that we already perfectly represent with the white bar, and the white bar already scales appropriately for sandwiches and salads. That's also 168 new textures that would also have to be done for every single texture pack that is already out there.

Edit: To answer the original question, yes it is possible. However, it really is not feasible.

Edited by Kittychanley

what if i make them all? o.O

Also if a texture is not available it simply would use the normal texture.

Also if a texture is not available it simply would use the normal texture.

This is not possible to do. The way Minecraft handles textures, if it's not available it uses the black and pink checkerboard.

Edit: If you meant that if the resource pack doesn't have the texture then it uses the "vanilla" texture, yes that is how it would work, but it would also look really weird for anyone who is using a texture pack and their food keeps switching between 64x and 16x textures that look like two completely different food items just because the weight changed.

Edited by Kittychanley

If it's possible to display different textures depending on weight it would also be possible to display the normal texture always:

if (texture_small & texture_big available) {  if (weight<40)      use texture_small  else {

if (weight<100)      use texture_normal     else      use texture_big }

}else use texture_normal

Edited by noname_42

texture_big available is not something we can check

In the method that we use to set what texture to use, all we can do is pass it a string of the location of the texture. It isn't until after that string is passed on to an internal method does the game actually check if the texture file exists and if it can use it or not. So by the time the game realizes that the texture is not available, we've already finished calling the method that is used to set the texture.

Edited by Kittychanley

what about an config option for "useAdvancedFoodSymbols"

If you want to use a texture pack you can turn it off

No. At that point it's way too much work and the whole thing is getting too complicated to justify adding it in the first place. The white bar already represents food weight just fine.

There are currently 84 different food textures, not including sandwiches and salads (which separate icons would have to use a completely different scale for since they don't get as large). That's at least 168 new textures to represent something that we already perfectly represent with the white bar, and the white bar already scales appropriately for sandwiches and salads. That's also 168 new textures that would also have to be done for every single texture pack that is already out there.

Edit: To answer the original question, yes it is possible. However, it really is not feasible.

Would writing it to use the same textures that already exist be difficult? That's the only way I could see this working without unnecessary effort. Although, I think that the bars serve it's purpose well enough that the alternative isn't necessarily needed.

So my idea is pretty simple:Depending on the food weight, different food symbols are displayed 0-40   oz:41-100 oz:101-160 oz:

I could provide more textures if you like those. First however I would like to know if this is even possible :D

Could you at least use the SAME increments that are used in TFC? Your suggestion is not even consistent throughout itself the first section is 40 and the others are 60. The suggestion is completely aesthetic and unnecessary already since the weight is already indicated by words, by numbers, and by the little white bar. If someone wanted to make an add-on for this, fine. Otherwise this is just a huge waste of time that would more productively be applied to TFC2.

The utter lack of observation and basic math is really a deal breaker for me.

Edited by Hector49er

Your suggestion is not even consistent throughout itself the first section is 40 and the others are 60.

That was intended. Or do you prefer:

0 - 53,333 oz

53,334-106,666 oz

106,667 - 160 oz

I prefer the increments that are already implemented in the game.

For food they are:

0-20oz   Tiny

20-40oz Very Small

40-80oz Small

80-160oz Medium

Perhaps I was unfair in criticism of the unevenness.

It only makes sense that the pictures would change when the size of the object as listed in game changes.

I prefer the increments that are already implemented in the game.

For food they are:

0-20oz   Tiny

20-40oz Very Small

40-80oz Small

80-160oz Medium

Perhaps I was unfair in criticism of the unevenness.

It only makes sense that the pictures would change when the size of the object as listed in game changes.

I agree with you, and apologize if this sounds nit-picky, but you seem to have forgotten Large.

I agree with you, and apologize if this sounds nit-picky, but you seem to have forgotten Large.

And at exactly what weight do you think Large exists?

Posted Image

Edit: Just in case you misunderstood. The sizes and weights that Hector49er listed are the actual sizes and weights that are currently used on the tooltips in-game. He did not forget large, there is no food of Large size in TFC.

Edited by Kittychanley

And at exactly what weight do you think Large exists?

Posted Image

Edit: Just in case you misunderstood. The sizes and weights that Hector49er listed are the actual sizes and weights that are currently used on the tooltips in-game. He did not forget large, there is no food of Large size in TFC.

I misspoke. I meant Heavy. I guess I was wrong, as food apparently doesn't fit in to the "Large" category, even at it's maximum weight per stack.

Isn't this all arguing details for something that won't be implemented due to the shear amount of work and new textures for no real change?

There's always the possibility something like this may be implemented in TFC2, so discussion and ironing out all the details doesn't hurt anything.

Isn't this all arguing details for something that won't be implemented due to the shear amount of work and new textures for no real change?

I did apologize for being nit-picky.

I basically like this idea. To show the amount more visually by a texture: good. Of course it will not be implemented in TFC, where the current system is more than sufficient for me.

But considering, evaluating and discussing it for TFC2 is great. However, it still means a lot of work for any new texture pack, doesn't it?

Yes, it would still be a significant amount of work for a new texture pack. However, it's extremely likely that all existing texture packs won't work with TFC2 anyways.

Yes, it would still be a significant amount of work for a new texture pack. However, it's extremely likely that all existing texture packs won't work with TFC2 anyways.

I'm curious as to why, but understand if you can't say.Back to the topic itself, I'm guessing the lack of response to my suggestion of writing it in a way that it uses the textures that already exist for food was indication that it's not feasible. It's a shame, because I do think it would be nice if something like this could be done with reasonable amounts of effort.

TFC2 is a complete rewrite. In complete rewrites, a lot of reorganization happens. Texture file names are going to be moved into different locations that make more sense, and will probably have a different name that what is currently used. The art itself will still work, just the pack won't because it will have to also be reorganized and have its files renamed to match.

No, there is currently no way to use the currently existing textures to create all the different ones. First it would require us writing a completely custom render for the items from scratch, and secondly it would require that there is some sort of consistent way that each image is edited. Take a look at the two different food sets in the OP of this post, they were not edited in the exact same way to produce the individual images.

I think different textures based on weight is a nice touch to organic visual player feedback rather than displaying a set of symbols or numbers (one of the reasons I never really got into Dwarf Fortress, but quite enjoying RimWorld despite latter being technically inferior to the former).

But.

It is sure to bring confusion at first, since no other system currently will work that way.

Because of that, later down the line devs will probably be swarmed by suggestions about adding the same computation here and there (so writing new all-custom renderer once might not be that bad of an idea, really).

Texture packs? Texture packs are no problem, honestly. Minecraft DOES fall back to the "vanilla" resource if currently active resource bundle has no resource by that type and name, I believe. And it's texture pack artist woes, really, to keep his stuff compatible. Though I do understand how much pain it is to keep up with backwards incompatible changes.