Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
noname_42

Crafting Table 2.0

Crafting Table Poll   84 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• 3x3 crafting grid with extra slots for tools etc.
    • 5x5 crafting grid
  2. 2. What would you prefer?

• Crafting in the extended player inventory
    • Crafting at a workbench
    • Both with each way having dis-/advantages

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

75 posts in this topic

This is an idea for TFC2:

You could put your tools into special slots around the workbench. Recipes requiring tools (making planks, bricks) but also basically all other recipes could use these tools.

For example all wood recipes (chests, doors, etc.) would require a saw.

This would grant more space for crafting recipes and would be visually attractive ;) .

post-6311-0-51861400-1430249469_thumb.pnpost-6311-0-17348200-1430249470_thumb.pn post-6311-0-61758400-1430249470_thumb.pnpost-6311-0-26000700-1430249471_thumb.pn

If you place tool racks around the workbench the tools remain inside the GUI even if you close it and they are displayed on the tool racks.

I could imagine that this looks far more simple than it is to code (thus a suggestion for TFC2), but it's just an idea so pls don't rage :D

Edited by noname_42

What if an ingredient can use more than one tool? May not happen in Vanilla TFC, but in modpacks it may be done for compatibility. Might be just worth having double tool slot that can be used instead of a slot for each tool.

To be a problem in the first place, we would need a proper way to implement new crafting recipe.

A solution could be to have a button next to the tool slot. If there is no available recipe with that tool, the button stay grey. If there is a valid recipe available, a x appear on the button. You have to select the tool (the x turn green) to select the tool used, and the selected tool would get damage.

That would require the re-introduction of the crafting table, and I am not sure it's going to happen... just my personal feeling, however, i do like the idea.

I would make it more of a "Tools within reach" thing, where there is a list of tools in tool racks near (3 blocks?) the workbench. That would remove the limit of amount and type of tools you can require in recipes.

Same with in-inventory crafting. If the tool is in your inventory, your good. (Perhaps a highlight of the tools that would be used in crafting would be good to avoid it using tools you don't want?)

And if you want a more 'tiered' system, you could make the workbench have a 5x5 grid.

I have so many complicated ideas.... I wish I had more time to work on them myself :P

Also there could be slots for consumables like ropes, nails etc.

This is a great idea, especially the "tools within range" displayed in the crafting table ui.

Care has to be taken when balancing the needs for tools: Does a tool in your inventory work as well? If not, you will not be able to craft e.g. planks on the fly during your expedition. On the other hand, the requirement of a rafting table with tools at hand might be a good way to slow progression, forcing a more settled life style.

This idea has a lot of stuff to be considered further on. Great idea anyway!

In principle I like the idea of a bigger crafting table, it makes possible for better recipes. 

I also like the idea of recipe dependencies, for example it always bothered me that we can just magically make wood blocks stick to each other. I wanted to have nails for that. And you should need nails and a carpenter hammer for that.

One of the things that I miss in TFC are cobblestone as an actual building material. A castle just does not look right without some cobble. To make it believable we could use mortar and a trowel, that would let us use cobble as a gravity free block.

I can only imagine how more detailed the recipes could be with a 5 x 5 grid.

Interesting... but right now the crafting is done on the move using the player grid, which i like. I also prefer real-world interaction to make stuff if possible (like the leather working).

Well, people are just trowing ideas here, and I also like the player grid. Maybe a good compromise would be to have both.  We could still use the crafting grid for common recipes, like for example making cobble from rocks, so if you are mining and just want to save inventory you can still do it. But we should use the bigger crafting table for more complex recipes.

Interesting... but right now the crafting is done on the move using the player grid, which i like. I also prefer real-world interaction to make stuff if possible (like the leather working).

I think some things should require the table to be crafted. Like, if there were more complex mechanisms (I know this isn't in the TFC timeframe but just for argument's sake) like water wheels/mechanical power, then you'd need to craft them in the table, but the standard doors/barrels/etc. you could do on the move.

I love that stuff can be done on the move (REAL WORLD INTERACTION FOR THE WIN!), but I would love even more a combination of the tools-within-reach idea and the current system.  I would suggest that tools within reach, including within the inventory or on a tool rack be indicated in the crafting UI.  This would have the added bonus of being compatible with possible future developments involving stationary tools that couldn't be in the inventory like some mechanized sawmill should that ever be implemented.  ;)  It would also help prevent some conceivable annoyances due to any possible future inventory limitations and help balance that possibility, since one wouldn't have to have tools on their person to do stuff, just proximity to said tools.  This all combined (regardless of speculative inventory limitation stuff) would also, I think, lead to the emergent gameplay phenomenon of players naturally wanting to set up a work-space of sorts, which would be non-arbitrary as opposed to needing a "workbench"... much like how the game's metallurgy system does so.

Edited by Andeerz

Fantastic idea. I think that a super late game 5x5 slots crafting grid also with tools should be added

could sb move this to the new TFC2 section, please?

The poll needs to have an option in both parts for 'neither, it's fine how it is'.  My opinion is that it's fine how it is now.  3x3 seems to suffice to craft things, allow for vareity, put a tool in the recipe, etc.  There was a conscious decision made to move away from the crafting bench, and I think that was a very, very good decision.   I would support 5x5 crafting grids in certain specialized implementations, as part of a specific process block.  But as a general crafting bench, I don't like it. The game has sacrificed realism to steamline construction - stone and dirt and so forth stack to 32 and fit in vessels - and I think that's how it should be.  Unless I can see specific examples where 3x3 grid is insufficient, I don't see the need.

Edited by Darmo

I really fell fault of a workbench, i really dont know why we craft from hand its unbelievable unrealistic.I think your model need a change, all visual space is above the workbench, it shall need to make a rack for tool or little and medium items. So you can have a more modular workbench for each think, like have 3 slots with sticks and 1 with a saw at you carpentry room

I like the idea of having the current 3x3 for most recipes, but a workbench for those requiring tools. And a new design.

Very intriguing. I love the idea.

I think the idea of required tools and perhaps resources brings up the point about how we differentiate between two recipes which use the same components except for the tool. The idea of having a taggle button to use or not use the tool is good but I can't help but feel from a design standpoint it might be frustrating having to click several buttons to get what you want. An issue accentuated if we were to have several tools.

That said I know I'm not offering any sort of solution. I'll try to make a suggestion if I work one out.

The more I think about it, the more that I like the idea of a modular workbench. Not quite what the OP suggested, but closer to what Saberwulfy mentioned above. If there is anything that I believe most folks can agree on, its that the need to build your smithy somewhat specifically in tfc1 was something that worked well and should be expanded upon. If we had some sort of bench that the player could customize by building a workshop in the area and then crafting could be done based on what was available, I think it would be pretty neat.

Feel free to take the idea and run with it.

I'm not clear on exactly how Saber's idea differed.  But are we talking about like, when the player goes to inventory it checks around the player for tools on racks, or barrels of materials?  how would the recipe be formed?  Or would there just be a host of buttons to press based on the items you can make with the surrounding ingredients?   It would indeed be interesting to have a more 'scenic' workshop, but in another thread in this forum (and others past) there's been a lot of discouragement of attempting to change the vanilla crafting mechanic too much.

Or would the basic functionality of the grid remain the same, but tools become accessories, along with maybe Tony's long-desired nails, hinges, and hoops?  And so you go to your inventory grid and there's other gui slots or something that have icons depending on which tools and accessory hardware is around you in the workshop?  And you don't place accessory items in the grid, they have to be appropriately stored around you?   So then you'd just form the raw materials - your planks, sticks, and stones mostly.  The system dynamically searches in the environment for hardware, tools, twine, etc and if it finds them it outputs the item?  That would allow more ingredients within the context of 3x3 grid...

Or are we talking more about it looking for specific placed tools?  Rope maker, sawhorses, bar clamps, miter saw?  And all the actual ingredients still just go in the grid?  It gets scenery - and more interesting scenery than just barrels and tool racks.   It also saves the time of having GUI for every tool, but that also removes the ability to add some process time via individual tool interface (like the loom).  I'm not sure many trades beyond blacksmith and carpenter would have much to justify a whole workshop...

I'm not sure if I am agreeing with the OP, but what I really would like to see is workshop as developed as the anvil for other areas of the mod.

We will always need the ability to craft recipes on the go, but not everything needs to be like that. So if you are mining and need to turn loose rocks into cobble to save inventory you should still be able to do it.

A carpenters workbench should be needed to create more elaborate items, like a boat, a barrel and so on. But not just a stationary workbench, it needs to have some kind of mini game like we have for the anvil. I even envision something like This for the barrel:

m45ikMx.png

Where you use lumber to create a 3 D object, them you need to add metal bands to create the item. Once you done you should be able to pick up and place the barrel as normal.

There  are just so many possibilities to create objects using lumber.

On that note we could also use a saw in a horizontal log by right clicking and some breaking animation to create lumber or planks. Like this:

YdYQe21.jpg

Well first of all, you wouldn't want to just search for tools and find an appropriate tool for a recipe via automation because you'll run into issues with duplicate recipes and not making the correct one, so the player would need to have a way to specify what tool is used. Also having even some small amount of player interaction gives the player a sense of attachment to the world. Sometimes automation is yuck for game design. So perhaps buttons or something to that effect that lets you select a knife that is hanging on a wall nearby. Or even a nearby block could be picked as a crafting target so that crafting X item requires that this block be near the workbench and selected as the tool.

Anything really that encourages the player to build in a more logical fashion.

Perhaps add a switch to the tool slots so that you could choose what tools are you going to use.

I like the idea of a crafting grid that is 5 x 5 with some extra slots around that show the tools that are in the tool rack you have to click the tool to activate what tool you are using. If you want to be fancy you could even require multiple tools for some specific recipes. The most important aspect in my opinion is the 5 x 5, that would allow for more intuitive recipes.

I still would like to have more items created by actually manipulating the environment, like placing 2 logs down horizontally and using a adze to carve a canoe.