Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
WillOfStone

Day Night cycle length

10 posts in this topic

I saw in some older posts that there used to be a config option to change(in ticks) the length of the day/night.  Is this still possible and if so how?  Thanks.

No. It never worked properly in the first place. Mobs would spawn in broad daylight and other odd behaviors would happen because while it looked like day to you because of the config file, the internal clock of the game still said it was night.

There's a mod for that Here. I think there's also one that uses your pc's time as the world time, like if it were noon on your computer time it would be noon in minecraft.

There's a mod for that Here. I think there's also one that uses your pc's time as the world time, like if it were noon on your computer time it would be noon in minecraft.

If you've read through all the replies to that forum post you'll see that mod doesn't actually work properly all the time, even when it's just on its own, let alone when it's installed alongside a mod like TFC that's super touchy about all the time calculations.

Well, that was a spectacular failure. I guess I'll go web-surf a bit more, then. I'll let you guys know whether or not I find anything.

EDIT: Found some stuff, here are links:

http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/221053-time-speed-mod

http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/minetime---change-the-duration-of-a-day-in-minecraft/

This one isn't a mod, but it offers a vanilla solution:

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/129607/is-there-a-way-to-slow-down-the-day-night-cycle

That's about it. Hope it helps.

Edited by Xenolith166

Do NOT. I repeat, DO NOT use the vanilla /gamerule doDaylightCycle unless you want everything in your game to break. That command stops the internal clock that all of TFC's time calculations are based off of, so you'll no longer be able to switch chisel modes, your crops will stop growing or start growing backwards, your animals will stop growing or even become babies, and pretty much everything will be permanently broken.

That is listed in our official buglist under the user error section.

Edit: The second mod that you linked is not a forge mod, it's a base edit of vanilla Minecraft so it is not compatible with TFC.

Edit2: In case my responses haven't made this clear enough. If you use any mod or command or anything that messes with the clock of the game to change the normal day/night cycle, you strongly risk completely breaking compatibility with TFC and corrupting your world so that it is no longer playable. The majority of TFC calculations are based on the fact that the day/night cycle is the normal vanilla pace, and changing that in any way will very likely break everything. Don't do it. If you insist on trying, only do so on a brand new world, and please do not link any mods that you assume will work unless you have completely and thoroughly tested everything and referenced TFC's code to confirm that some minor thing you may have overlooked won't happen and corrupt everything.

Edited by Kittychanley

Thanks for the effort Xenolith, but I already did a web search and read those topics.  My question was specific to the configuration option that used to exist in TFC.  If it's not a valid option anymore that's cool.  I'm not interested in modding the game beyond what TFC already does. 

I should have addressed the question specifically to the staff.  My bad.  Thanks for the response Kitty.

Would it be possible to leave the game's internal clock alone and just change the light levels coming from the sky (and maybe the sky image itself)

Would it be possible to leave the game's internal clock alone and just change the light levels coming from the sky (and maybe the sky image itself)

If you do that, you'd essentially be "speeding up" all of the mechanics by comparison, and your calendar would be wrong. Take for example if you changed it so the light levels and the sky moved at half the current pace. The calendar would say that two days has passed, but you've only seen the sun go through one cycle. Torches, which have a default timer of 48 hours, would burn out after 2 days according to the internal calendar, but it would only look like one day to you because the sun hasn't gone through the sky twice yet.

If you do that, you'd essentially be "speeding up" all of the mechanics by comparison, and your calendar would be wrong. Take for example if you changed it so the light levels and the sky moved at half the current pace. The calendar would say that two days has passed, but you've only seen the sun go through one cycle. Torches, which have a default timer of 48 hours, would burn out after 2 days according to the internal calendar, but it would only look like one day to you because the sun hasn't gone through the sky twice yet.

Sorry, let me be clearer. Would it be possible to change the light cycle while maintaining a 34 he day? I.e. Instead of having the sun rise at 5am and set at 7 (I made up numbers), make it rise at 6 and set at 6. Even if it still showed the "sunrises" animation , could you restrict the light levels so monsters didn't start burning, etc.And could you have the perceived light value be based in latitude?