Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smiley

Milk Paint

4 posts in this topic

Mankind has been covering their environments with milk paint for a very long time.

http://www.milkpaint.com/about_history.html

Milk paint is essentially three ingredients: Milk, Lime and a Pigment. These ingredients already exist in TFC.

I propose the following:

10mb Milk + 80mb Limewater + 1 ounce/unit pigment = 100mb Paint - enough to coat 10 blocks in paint.

Paint is applied to whole blocks, stairs and slabs that aren't dirt/cobble/sand/gravel types, as well as fences and barrels and can be applied to all placed planks in a single block space.

Paint cannot be removed, but painted blocks can be repainted another color.

Paint is prepared in a barrel, by adding Milk and then Pigment to a barrel of Limewater.

Paint is removed from the barrel with buckets or glass bottles.

Paint is applied with a brush. A brush consists of 3 silk/string/jute fiber crafted with a stick or bone. Silk produces a small brush. String a medium brush and jute a large brush.

Brush size determines how much paint the brush can hold, which determines how many blocks you can paint before you need to reload the brush. Small: 3 blocks Medium: 5 blocks Large: 10 blocks

To paint a block, hold a brush in your hand with a bucket or glass jar of paint in your hot bar. Load the brush with paint by right-clicking the bucket or glass jar with the brush in your inventory. Close the inventory, and click the block you wish to paint. When the brush no longer paints blocks, open your inventory, and right-click the brush onto the paint to reload it.

At first I though the sheer number of new textures would make this prohibitive. Then I realized that we would not need a new texture for every existing block, since a painted acacia block would be indistinguishable from a maple block.

Is it still a huge job to create 16 new textures for each kind of block, in the end even if this is a cool idea, I think it would work better as a addon. If you want to have an idea of painted blocks, try out the Decorations addon. It adds Alabaster blocks with paint.

Maybe you should ask Aleksey to expand the paint system to include other blocks.

Wow, thanks for the website link. I loved reading through their pages. But yeah, I think the painting might be better suited to an add-on. Like Djakuta said, the Decorations add-on is fun to play around with. Check out Spud Gunn on Youtube to see it in action. I enjoyed watching his videos.

Yeah, I've seen Spud play TFC. I don't recall it, though. Maybe I should go give him a second veiwing. Ethos's LP of TFC was the first I saw, and he really got me interested. I've been following OMGChad as of late.

I see how this can be an issue to incorporate. I would be happy if all you added was paint for wooden and stone blocks/stairs and slabs. Forget the barrels, planks and fences. Then we could add a dash of color, not that TFC is hard on the eyes, or anything. Much more building options than vanilla MC.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0