Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
letalhell

Chest storage size

39 posts in this topic

There's one thing that bugs me in minecraft.

How come this pile 216 logs split in 13 log piles can fit in this 2 blocks chest?

Posted Image

I guess the whole chest thing should be revised. I don't know how this should be done, but I hope you guys do.

I know this mod isn't about realism but...

When I first met TFC and I saw that you could pile up the logs I thought, cool that seen interesting no more chest full of logs. But with the chests being six times more space-efficient... I don't know... Any idea?

I definitely agree that chests should be nerfed. How about causing anything not inanimate degrade in chests. So food would spoil, wood would rot, ingots should stay how they are so that ingot piles become a viable option. And also maybe drop the size to 18

in·an·i·mate/inˈanəmit/

Adjective:

• Not alive, esp. not in the manner of animals and humans.
  • Showing no sign of life; lifeless.
This in not the right word for what you meant. I think perishable is what you were looking for since none of the items you listed are animate objects.

I'm...very not sure about having wood rot in chests, but wood piles are the very thing that incited me to bring up how overblown chests are to begin with.

I was agreeing with you. The wood rot thing was to make an incentive for people to use piles instead. Sorry you're right I didn't really mean inanimate I didn't really mean imperishable because ingots, but how about completed products. Temporary unstable things like hides and ingots wouldn't work in chests.

Or maybe the wood pile should be made more efficient?

Sorry, I don't support the nerfing of chests. Reason being is, you need 2 full chests to make a pit for charcoal already. I don't like the idea of needing to make a hundred boxes to fit all my stuff. They're already hard enough as it is to make (so long as you don't have a saw that is) and you really do end up needing a lot of them when you consider all the items available in the game.

I'm also not too thrilled with the idea of having to make a barn for my woodpiles ala haystacks. Seems like a waste of space.

Or maybe the wood pile should be made more efficient?

Sorry, I don't support the nerfing of chests. Reason being is, you need 2 full chests to make a pit for charcoal already. I don't like the idea of needing to make a hundred boxes to fit all my stuff. They're already hard enough as it is to make (so long as you don't have a saw that is) and you really do end up needing a lot of them when you consider all the items available in the game.

I'm also not too thrilled with the idea of having to make a barn for my woodpiles ala haystacks. Seems like a waste of space.

If you increase the woodpiles you will increase the charcoal pit required wood and also it's outcome. By doubling the amout of wood in a woodpile you would need 4 full chests of wood and would get 4 stacks of charcoal and more around 32 pieces... You can't change the woodpile containment capacity without changing the charcoal system.

- post is right up there~ -

The wood pile becoming more efficient would also make producing charcoal more efficient, which is not necessarily a good thing. Anyway, just assemble your wood stacks in ready-to-charcoalify formations and you won't have to worry about losing space.

edit: Har, beaten.

I definitely agree that chests should be nerfed.

ya i agree just nerf chests...or add a weight system?...might take forever but 1 log should take more room than wheat seeds.

But i think addin weight to chests instead of slot amount would be hard.

ya i agree just nerf chests...or add a weight system?...might take forever but 1 log should take more room than wheat seeds.

But i think addin weight to chests instead of slot amount would be hard.

Well maybe not weight but a "size-value". Let's say a regular block(dirt, cobblestone) have a "1" in size-value, a single chest can hold up to 10 in size-value(20 for double chests), but some items have a size-value of less then 1, like arrows that can have 0.1 or less. That way you can't place a whole desert, or mountain inside a chest, cuz 64(stack of sand/stone)*54=3456! for me that's not realistic, not to enter the fight between realism and TFC, for me that not even believable.

And for those that don't want to store stuffs in open air, I can only say that IRL logs, stones and most stuffs are stored in open air, not in a chest that looks more like a portable hole from looney tunes or a bag of holding from D&D.

I wouldn't mind a gameplay size/weight value for chests, as long as it didn't apply to player inventories, or building would become too troublesome.

Well maybe not weight but a "size-value". Let's say a regular block(dirt, cobblestone) have a "1" in size-value, a single chest can hold up to 10 in size-value(20 for double chests), but some items have a size-value of less then 1, like arrows that can have 0.1 or less. That way you can't place a whole desert, or mountain inside a chest, cuz 64(stack of sand/stone)*54=3456! for me that's not realistic, not to enter the fight between realism and TFC, for me that not even believable.

And for those that don't want to store stuffs in open air, I can only say that IRL logs, stones and most stuffs are stored in open air, not in a chest that looks more like a portable hole from looney tunes or a bag of holding from D&D.

...you just gave me quite an excellent idea...

bag of holding...

Perhaps chests could have much smaller inventories, but there could be an enchantment gem that, when crafted with the chest, gives a chest of holding that has a bigger inventory space?

Edit: To clarify, let's pick a gem - say amethyst. If we enchant our chipped amethyst and get the 'holding' enchant, we can stick our regular single chest (with maybe 3x3 inventory spaces? Double chest would be 6x3) into the crafting area with our chipped amethyst of holding, to get a chest of holding (chipped), which would have 12 inventory spaces (3x4). Chests of holding with the same level gem (2 chipped ones, or 2 flawed ones, etc...) could form double chests (so a double chipped one would have a 6x4 inventory), but not chests of different levels (so placing an exquisite next to a regular one would be impossible, just like putting 3 chests in a row). And of course each tier up would increase the number of columns added to the space by one. However, this STILL nerfs chests, because even a double chest of holding (exquisite), is only 6x8, whereas normal double chests are 6x9

Spot on +1

To EternalUndeath: there are several mods that implement this. I think enchanting blocks would open up a ton of possibilities so i love this idea.

Everyone keeps complaining about the inventories. Stop. Now. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if none of you could even carry a pickaxe let alone a cubic meter of solid stone. It makes zero sense whatsoever but is absolutely essential to keep people from being bored from way to much travelling not enough outcome. I personally like the balance of the system as I can hold enough for a small trip but can't carry a castle in my back pocket. Any change in this balance would make the game either far more boring or far more uninteresting. So therefore only ask for a change in balance for items that haven't been balanced yet. (New items)

Everyone keeps complaining about the inventories. Stop. Now. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if none of you could even carry a pickaxe let alone a cubic meter of solid stone. It makes zero sense whatsoever but is absolutely essential to keep people from being bored from way to much travelling not enough outcome. I personally like the balance of the system as I can hold enough for a small trip but can't carry a castle in my back pocket. Any change in this balance would make the game either far more boring or far more uninteresting. So therefore only ask for a change in balance for items that haven't been balanced yet. (New items)

I once shovelled enough dirt to make a small hill. By the end of the day I was exhausted and covered in grime. :U

Anyway, as it stands currently, you pretty much can carry a castle in your back pocket...or at the very least, a good sized fort. ...In order to make things like rails, minecarts, and potentially pack animals or whatever a bit more useful, it may well be a good idea to limit this inventories just a bit.

An idea I haven't read yet regarding a rucksack mechanic: What if stack-size was affected by the rucksack you had equipped? For example, cobblestone could stack up to thirty-two normally, but could reach stacks of sixty-four with a rucksack equipped.

A quick solution would be not being allowed to store blocks of any type in a chest.

All blocks would have their own type of storage system, for example:

Logs - Log pile (holds 16 logs)

Stone - Quarry Pile (16 stone)

Planks - Plank Stack (16 planks)

Wool - Wool Bags (16 wool)

Box - (4 Misc. unstackable item blocks)

All storage systems would work similarly to log piles, although in the case of stones and planks, they can only be placed and stored by holding shift and clicking. Some types of blocks might only be storable by specifically crafting a container (anvils, etc.). Stone and plank piles would look slightly different compared to regularly placed stone and planks.

- The post is right above this one, snip -

I like this idea. Though the piles could stand to hold a little more since they're not tied to a game mechanic like logs/charcoal.

These piles could be larger than a single block, like beds are. A stone pile, for example could be 3x2x2. Not sure if that looks as good in practice as it does in my head.

Shouldn't wool storage require some kind of textile?

If enough types of containers were made to replace the chest itself wouldn't that just be a chest that takes up a ton of IDs. This would be cool and houses would be forced to become larger which I think would be very fun but until we get an update from Mojang that lets us use so many block IDs stably this will difficult. Stone should hold more stone this is part of the balance. A good inventory managing idea would be the weight system that was suggested it would make it so its possible but still harder. But this would be interesting to code and probably cause quite a bit of dispute as a stack of stone may weigh 160,000 to 185,600 kg (352,740 to 409,178 lbs.)(176.36 to 204.59 tons) which is about half a 747 jumbo jet which i can't carry in my back pocket either.

A quick fix to limited block ids: damage values

Having trouble finding info on that please explain what they are and how they pertain to metadata.

Edit: Also can metadata be used to show multiple things rather than just control one variable.

To EternalUndeath: there are several mods that implement this. I think enchanting blocks would open up a ton of possibilities so i love this idea.

:) I had a smart. Yay me.

A quick solution would be not being allowed to store blocks of any type in a chest.

All blocks would have their own type of storage system, for example:

Logs - Log pile (holds 16 logs)

Stone - Quarry Pile (16 stone)

Planks - Plank Stack (16 planks)

Wool - Wool Bags (16 wool)

Box - (4 Misc. unstackable item blocks)

All storage systems would work similarly to log piles, although in the case of stones and planks, they can only be placed and stored by holding shift and clicking. Some types of blocks might only be storable by specifically crafting a container (anvils, etc.). Stone and plank piles would look slightly different compared to regularly placed stone and planks.

Holy Carp i think i just might fall out of my chair because of how much i love this idea i love having individual item storage blocks but maybe the boxes could have a little bit more storage room(half a single chest?) but other than this i love this idea

Having trouble finding info on that please explain what they are and how they pertain to metadata.

Edit: Also can metadata be used to show multiple things rather than just control one variable.

Redpower, and Thaumcraft should be a very obvious example of using metadata to unscrupulously expand the amount of items you can have in the game, though those items may simply be tile entities, they still work like blocks, and can function as a sort of machine, or inventory.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0