Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
letalhell

Chest storage size

39 posts in this topic

Okay so what I know so far is that you can make a block that is refered to as block_1 and block_2 and they would have the same ID but the properties would be changeable. But now lets say I want an item with almost infinite variations so block_xxyynnzz where the x's would be a two digit variable that represents one stat and then the y's, n's , and z's would all represent different stats each variable set would have 100 possibilities unless letters could be used so therefore this block could have 100,000,000 variants. Could it possibly work like that?

Edit: The purpose of this is so I don't have to write out a hundred million variants but only write 400 instead.

- above post snip -

What are you trying to do?

In vanilla Minecraft, the ID of wooden planks (oak) is 5, or 5:00. Pine, birch, and jungle, are 5:01, 5:02, and 5:03. You could keep going for a good, long time. I don't know if there's a difference between blocks and items, but potions go as far as (373:)16471.

Stuff like item storage, signs, and, well, anything that has to remember anything...if that's what you're aiming for, requires the use of a tile entities.

I'll put this as a suggestion as soon as I understand this a little more but what if we took out all the swords, all the tools, all the armor and replaced them with single items like "Sword" or "Helmet" if metadata can store multiple variables then in one ID we could have a ton of items each variable would represent something for instance lets say i use the example I had above except make it sword_xxyynnzzff now the x's represent the material, y's represent sharpness, n's represented coatings and z's would represent enchantments and then more letters (f) after that would represent additional enchantments. 1 ID infinite possibilities.

I have to agree with lady pheonix and bsb, chests do not need nerfed nor does your inventory. Nobody just goes out with a chisel and pick and cuts out a cubic meter of smooth solid granite and puts 64 of them in their pocket. Few people IRL could even lift one block of it, definitely not me. But this isn't real life, this is a game. I find most of my ores hundreds or thousands of blocks away from my base and it already takes multiple trips to bring back a good sized vein of ore and a weight or inventory adjustment is just going to punish people more by adding more and more long boring walks back and forth. It already takes a ton of chests to hold the ores and things you store and nerfing chests is just gonna be a pain in the ass to store anything. There is a balance between fun, realistic and tedious and fucking up inventories and chests is just going to take away from the fun aspects of the game and spend more time doing tedious things.

- post is not that far above snip -

Oh. Once again, I'm only loosely informed on the subject... However, I think you're confusing damage values and metadata. Metadata is comprised of a bunch of four bit pieces of data. (So 0000, 0001, ect...) (And I'm not sure if stuff in your inventory has that kind of metadata...)

You could probably do something like that with damage values if you were a crazy clever math and java genius and you found some way to assign different ranges of damage values to be different tools, or something.

Trying to learn how if I'm successful I will let you guys know.

how about these: instead of nerfing chests or inventories, change the items/blocks you can place in them and make them occupy more space based on the size of the item/block. Something like Diablo II inventory system:

Posted Image

So as you can see in the picture, where the shield and tomes occupy more than one inventory space, some minecraft items would do the same -as swords and javelins-.

Although, the images of the items would have to be modified to fit in the space it occupies.

Or you can just nerf stack sizes so that not only is 4 small stacks of items the same thing as taking up 4 inventory spaces, but so you can't carry around a whole forest in your pocket! ... oh wait. That already happened.

It already takes a few minecraft days to fill a charcoal pit JUST to get charcoal and that takes many trips back and fourth. Don't forget to get your chisel before winter or the snow ruins your grass charcoal pit!

Seriously, how much more difficult/tedious are you wanting this game to be?

Somewhat irrelevant I apologize but did you know that diamonds are referred to as emeralds multiple times throughout the coding.

Somewhat irrelevant I apologize but did you know that diamonds are referred to as emeralds multiple times throughout the coding.

lol yup, been that way since infdev

Yes, it can't be too tedious. But limiting a stack of logs to 8 should naturally start leading to questions about other block types, specifically rock.

Diablo II style would be too much coding work. The simplest fix would be for any block-type stacks to be limited to 8. This would actually make minecarts extremely useful, especially if they kept their storage size.

Yes, it can't be too tedious. But limiting a stack of logs to 8 should naturally start leading to questions about other block types, specifically rock.

Diablo II style would be too much coding work. The simplest fix would be for any block-type stacks to be limited to 8. This would actually make minecarts extremely useful, especially if they kept their storage size.

:| Maybe i should learn something about coding, everybody keeps saying "it's too much coding" or explaining something about that, and i have no idea what they're talking about.

Please don't forget, you're talking about minecraft -or TFcraft-, a building-survival* game. As the building game it is, limitating the construction materials you can carry at a time would make pretty much harder to build anything. Even worse if you're trying to build a new base miles away from the first one. It would just make the game more tedious... something you said it shouldn't be, by the way.

*except in the creative mode, in which case, the only thing you do is building and destroying things up

- don't worry I read the rest of the post snip -

limitating the construction materials you can carry at a time would make pretty much harder to build anything.

While I do agree with the sentiment, I'm pretty sure it could stand to be tweaked just a little bit. Cutting block stack sizes down to thirty-two seems alright--almost insignificant. ...Anything more than that and I'd have to try playing for a little while to see how significant it actually ends up being in the long term.

The chest is clearly over power, especially the double chest.I think the single chest should be removed and double chest has the same space as the single chest. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0