Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
vidaj

[TFC 0.79.25+] TFCRailcraft

57 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I've finally started a compatibility mod for Railcraft! Sources are available at https://github.com/vidaj/TFCRailcraft

Curse download page: http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/230890-tfcrailcraft/

If you want to contribute, you can either create issues for recipe changes and whatnot at github, or make comments in this thread.

Currently implemented:

0.2:

- TFC 0.79.25 compatible

- Added wooden minecart with chest, to enable earlier and cheaper rails. Only 9 slots in the inventory. Recipe is 5 planks in a 'U' shape with a chest in the middle. Not restricted to wooden rails, but might be in the future.

- Added gold ore dictionary support to wooden booster tracks.

0.1:

- Coke oven craftable from fire bricks and TFC sand. Makes charcoal from logs. 1 log = 1 charcoal. I'll see if I can get railcraft to eat several items to make 2 logs = 1 charcoal, but it will need changes in Railcraft, making it a low priority at the moment.

- Wooden Creosote Bucket!

- Wooden ties are made from sealing lumber in barrel

- All railcraft steel tools have their crafting recipes removed.

- Railcraft plates are oredicted to the same as TFC plates.

- Tanks are craftable from TFC iron and steel plates.

How do people want to play with Railcraft within the TFC world? What should be craftable in the crafting grid and what should be made with the anvil? How should the recipes look? All input is appreciated :)

Modpack permission: granted

Edited by vidaj

I think that most of RC's items are fine remaing on the rolling machine, but things like the metal gears should have molds, as that is a method used to create them. Rebar could probably be given an anvil recipe.

May I use this mod in my modpack, Technofirma?

Casting gears in molds is an excellent idea! Will implement that ASAP.

Of course you can use it in your modpack :) I'll update the OP with modpack info.

A hacky way to balance the coke oven would be to produce a charcoal fragment that is crafted into a charcoal piece. Not sure if coke oven does the chance of output like the crusher. If possible then could output 1-3 fragments with 4 crafted into charcoal.

Upon startup, Minecraft crashes and produces this error. I am using the latest RC from it's CurseForge page, and TFC 0.79.18.

Whops, that's not good. Version 0.1.1 should fix that. I added the curse link in the OP, so when a moderator approves the curse project, it should be ready for download :)

Nice, I shall try this out as soon as I can, have been wondering to do something like this myself...

I'm currently working on getting the Interburn.org TFC server up and running again with 0.79.18 and a lot of addons, and this should fit in nicely.

(Er du norsk Vidar? Så navnet ditt på Github og det så veldig skandinavisk ut :-)

Yeah, I'm Norwegian :)

The Nether is not working with TFC at all, and some of the railcraft recipes requires stuff from the Nether. I do have a patch working on my computer that fixes all the Nether crashing and it seems quite stable. Maybe I'll release it as a separate mod, with severe warnings that this is extremely experimental and might corrupt your world.

Yeah, I'm Norwegian :)

The Nether is not working with TFC at all, and some of the railcraft recipes requires stuff from the Nether. I do have a patch working on my computer that fixes all the Nether crashing and it seems quite stable. Maybe I'll release it as a separate mod, with severe warnings that this is extremely experimental and might corrupt your world.

Think you should use TFC materials instead. Some of them are quite "expensive" so it would balance without the Nether.

(Morsomt, du får ta en tur og sjekke ut serveren min når den er oppe og går. Har en test versjon av en modpack jeg jobber med oppe og kjører nå. Denne modden høres ut som noe jeg kan legge til der også. Sjekk http://interburn.org)

Can you please explain what's the deal with nerfing charcoal making? I did not quite catch it, is 1:1 ratio too high?

Can you please explain what's the deal with nerfing charcoal making? I did not quite catch it, is 1:1 ratio too high?

In "vanilla" TFC the ratio is at most 2 Logs : 1 Charcoal, since a full log pile of 16 logs will at most make a full charcoal block of 8 pieces. On average it's more like 3:1 though, since it can be anywhere from 2 to 4 logs per charcoal.

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Charcoal

In "vanilla" TFC the ratio is at most 2 Logs : 1 Charcoal, since a full log pile of 16 logs will at most make a full charcoal block of 8 pieces. On average it's more like 3:1 though, since it can be anywhere from 2 to 4 logs per charcoal.

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Charcoal

Yes, but this is a "technical improvement" we are talking about right? What's wrong with technical improvement being more efficient? Pretty sure the oven is considerably slower that a pit and isn't suited for mass charcoal production, so even with this both methods have their niche.

Yes, but this is a "technical improvement" we are talking about right? What's wrong with technical improvement being more efficient? Pretty sure the oven is considerably slower that a pit and isn't suited for mass charcoal production, so even with this both methods have their niche.

If the coke oven uses a 2:1 ratio, than it is an improvement, as it would always produce the maximum amount of charcoal, while pits will vary in outputs.

100% support for this. Currently working on a modpack with railcraft and IC2 and this would be a most welcome addition. i especially liek the idea of having to cast parts for railcraft stuff.

If the coke oven uses a 2:1 ratio, than it is an improvement, as it would always produce the maximum amount of charcoal, while pits will vary in outputs.

For what I could understand looking in google, coke is made with coal.

"Coke is a solid residue that contains carbon derived from low-ash, low-sulphur bituminous coal that is free of volatile constituents by baking in a oven at temperatures as high as 2000 F so that the carbon and residual ash are fusing together. Coke that is obtained from coal is grey, hard and porous." here:

https://metalworking-blacksmithing.knoji.com/coal-charcoal-and-coke-what-could-be-the-difference-between-them/

Am I missing something? I have no real knowledge of coke production, only from google.

For what I could understand looking in google, coke is made with coal.

"Coke is a solid residue that contains carbon derived from low-ash, low-sulphur bituminous coal that is free of volatile constituents by baking in a oven at temperatures as high as 2000 F so that the carbon and residual ash are fusing together. Coke that is obtained from coal is grey, hard and porous." here:

https://metalworking-blacksmithing.knoji.com/coal-charcoal-and-coke-what-could-be-the-difference-between-them/

Am I missing something? I have no real knowledge of coke production, only from google.

Coke is made from coal, hence "coal coke." Keeping with standard RC, coke ovens would make charcoal.  

Well, the thing about this is that we can't actually use realism while trying to incorporate Railcraft:

- The coke oven is, from what I can gather, actually a beehive oven. This oven can create coke from coal, but you can't actually get any byproducts (coal-tar creosote) because they burn up in the process.

- Wood-tar cresosote is made from dry-destilling wood. I haven't found enough information on how this was done, but I'm almost certain that it wasn't done in beehive ovens.

So the problem is this: We can realistically create coal coke with the beehive oven. The beehive oven is made from firebricks. All is groovy. But you can't get creosote. Dang. Also, you can't use coal coke in TFC forges or blast furnices.

Since Railcraft is set in a more modern period than TFC, we have go give it a bit of slack, and sacrifice some realism to get some gameplay. So what I ended up with is cooking wood in a beehive oven to get charcoal and creosote. Realistic? No, but I do think it's believable.

To not make the oven super OP in TFC terms, it would be good to get at most 1 charcoal per 2 logs, but the coke oven doesn't support that yet. Maybe I'll just go with Bunsan's suggestion and make it output charcoal bits/fragments. But then again, after spending 104 fire bricks on the oven, maybe you deserve some OP-ness :P (Or I might have to tweak that recipe a bit)

Edited by vidaj

My actual solution in my modpack was to leave coke ovens as they are, producing vanilla charcoal. I then have a crafting recipe to convert 2 vanilla charcoal to 1 TFC charcoal. TFC forge, bloomers and blast furnace only accept TFC charcoal and they ignore MC fuel values. So I then doubled the fuel value of TFC charcoal. It is a bit of a work around solution, but I find it balances nicely. I probably should rename vanilla charcoal though.

Well, the thing about this is that we can't actually use realism while trying to incorporate Railcraft:

- The coke oven is, from what I can gather, actually a beehive oven. This oven can create coke from coal, but you can't actually get any byproducts (coal-tar creosote) because they burn up in the process.

- Wood-tar cresosote is made from dry-destilling wood. I haven't found enough information on how this was done, but I'm almost certain that it wasn't done in beehive ovens.

So the problem is this: We can realistically create coal coke with the beehive oven. The beehive oven is made from firebricks. All is groovy. But you can't get creosote. Dang. Also, you can't use coal coke in TFC forges or blast furnices.

Since Railcraft is set in a more modern period than TFC, we have go give it a bit of slack, and sacrifice some realism to get some gameplay. So what I ended up with is cooking wood in a beehive oven to get charcoal and creosote. Realistic? No, but I do think it's believable.

To not make the oven super OP in TFC terms, it would be good to get at most 1 charcoal per 2 logs, but the coke oven doesn't support that yet. Maybe I'll just go with Bunsan's suggestion and make it output charcoal bits/fragments. But then again, after spending 104 fire bricks on the oven, maybe you deserve some OP-ness :P (Or I might have to tweak that recipe a bit)

Would it not be possible to hook into TFC and allow coal coke to be used in TFC forge's etc in a similar way to which modtweaker hooks into mods like IC2 and railcraft to change the recipie's?

Not the way that the TFC code is now. It's pretty much hard coded to use TFC charcoal/coal. The whole thing has to be rewritten to accept more generic fuels, and I would think that is quite unlikely given that they are currently focusing on TFC2, especially that this only benefits other mods and not TFC itself.

this only benefits other mods and not TFC itself.

Well, about that. Generalizing code here and there usually benefits both sides. Consider a situation where you need to add something else as a fuel in your mod, whatever that might be. Rather than fishing around trying to remember all places where you hardcoded initial fuel, you register new fuel in some class once and it just works.

Apart from saving time, hardcodes also detract from code readability, since hardcodes in form of 

if () {} else if () ... {} else {}

"hide" from the eye parts of code that have actual logical importance, although the latter can be adressed by introducing more lexemes.

I believe the issue is that TFC treats fuel completely different. From what I've seen fuel sources are given a burn time and temperature. There is know way for devs to build all possible fuel sources into code. So what would be required is a config akin to the TFCOres where you can specify the item ID and these values.

I believe the issue is that TFC treats fuel completely different. From what I've seen fuel sources are given a burn time and temperature. There is know way for devs to build all possible fuel sources into code. So what would be required is a config akin to the TFCOres where you can specify the item ID and these values.

MC fuel value is already effectively a burn time, the only thing required is temperature. Sure, we need a configuration, with the way it all scripted there's not really a way to automatically compute these.

Hello Minecraft crash with me if I want to put a fence gate . This crash occurs at every fence gate. It seems to me the bug is triggered by your addon or Railcraft .

http://pastebin.com/Vh3pLysN

Go into your config folder in railcraft/blocks.cfg and set residual.heat to false. This is among The many known issues caused by this block. It is a base RC issue.