Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Daeruin

[Solved] Wolf hunger and self preservation

6 posts in this topic

I just started playing TFC about a week or two ago and am loving it! I tried a few searches for this topic but didn't find it anywhere. I found two wolves and started familiarizing them. I had one a little over a third and one about a fourth familiarized. I have a few problems.

One, I have no idea how hungry they are. I can feed them and they burp, so I know they are eating. But I saw one comment on the forums that someone fed a wolf like 80 oz of food and it was still eating. I would think they would stop eating when they're full. I'm short on food and don't want to use it on the wolf unless I know it's actually hungry.

Two, they seem to lack a sense of self preservation. One of my wolves actually died because it wouldn't stop standing next to my pit kiln. It caught on fire no less than four times. A couple times I got it to follow me into a pool of water to put out the fire, and one time the fire apparently went out by itself. But the last time it finally burned to death. I finally got a bronze pickaxe today, and I dug a hole under a stone outcrop where they will be less prone to walk directly into the pit kiln's fire. My wolves also can't seem to understand that standing inside a raspberry bush will hurt them. They just stand there yelping until I wade in there and push them out or walk far enough away that they finally leave the bush. I'm not going to waste food on them if they keep hurting themselves for no reason. Or maybe I need to just wait until I can finally make rope to tie them up? I haven't quite gotten there yet. :)

Three, is there some point where they will eventually start defending me from mobs or something else useful? 'Cause so far they do nothing but hurt themselves and eat my food.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Daeruin

You don't feed wolves to familiarize them, you pet them. Because of that, their hunger has no bounds and you can feed them indefinitely. Animals do not die or get hurt from hunger, so the only time you should ever be feeding your wolves is if you want them to breed or heal from other damage. A few ounces each day is more than enough.

As for your wolves being derpy, #BlameMojang. They still have the vanilla AI, so any derpiness is just vanilla behavior. Even a wolf in a completely vanilla world will stand in a cactus and do absolutely nothing until it dies.

Once your wolves have babies, and you familiarize the puppies to the point where you can make them sit without a rope and have a collar, they will behave the exact same way that vanilla tamed dogs do.

I see I posted this in the wrong forum originally. Sorry 'bout that.

Yeah, the fact that they're taking stupid damage is the whole reason I'm asking about feeding them. For a while I was only petting them and not feeding them at all, and I'm pretty sure that's why the first one died. It kept catching on fire and standing in raspberry bushes, and I wasn't feeding it to let it heal. But I have no idea how hurt they are or how hungry they are, so it feels like complete guesswork, with no way to tell whether I'm doing it right. When you say a few ounces a day, what range are you talking about? 2, 5, 20? It seems like if I'm even 1 oz too low every day, they won't heal and will one day die unexpectedly.

And thanks for the reply. :)

I'd suggest you install another mod like Damage Indicators or even WAILA which will display the mob's health on your screen. When they are full enough to heal, you'll see it almost instantly. At that point I'd feed them once more (each feeding is 5 oz) and they should be good for the day. Remember that mobs have a lot of health in TFC, so it takes longer for them to heal all the way up.

I installed Damage Indicators, and it's great. Now I can see when they're hurt and when they're healing. Thanks!

Welp, wolf #2 died by wandering into—you guessed it—lava. (I have a lot of lava pools where I spawned.) So far wolves have been a complete waste of time and resources for me. I won't bother with them further until they have a better AI. Or until I forget how annoying they are. :)

But I appreciate your help anyway!