Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
anonymous conservative

Eegs are too white.

15 posts in this topic

Ok, so I've noticed something. The eggs in Terrafirmacraft are nearly paper white. Most chicken breeds lay light to dark brown eggs, sometimes even speckled. The eggs that you get out of the grocery store aren't nearly representative of the eggs that you would've gotten out of the average chicken during TFC's timeframe. Seeing the rooster texture (fabulous by the way), I assume that the Terrafirmacraft chickens are not modern egg-farm grade leghorns, which are really about the only large chickens that produce perfectly white eggs. I know; I've been raising chickens irl my whole life. I've had all kinds and they all lay eggs that are at least moderately tinted. It seems like this change would more accurately represent the average egg as it would've looked like during the timeframe of TFC. I have a similar suggestion regarding the hens. There really were no white chickens during TFC's timeframe; they are mainly a modern invention. Even still, there's only a handful of breeds that are perfectly white, most of them being GMO meat chickens. The hens could look somewhat like the roosters, though of course duller and with an altered texture. Thank you for reading & God bless!

I would strongly suggest that you read my signature, as well as visit the FAQ page and the homepage post about believability. TFC is a mod for Minecraft, and we will always have aspects of the game such as textures to remind players of that.

Not wanting to start a debate, but chickens used for human consumption are not GMO. Saying that most are is false. They are a result of selective breeding.

I feel conflicted about this. In one side the white eggs are the most easily recognized as chicken eggs for all players. They also have the same texture as Vanilla Minecraft.

In the other hand the tread is valid and the argument true. Also it would take about 10 minutes for any developer to change the texture, there are no compatibility issues, since only the texture would be changed.

I think this is one the things that have never come up in a discussion before. The Dev's just kept the original Minecraft texture and never made a conscious decision about it. ( I am not a tfc Developer, this is all suppositions).

One way or another, there are so many other things they are working right now, for example tfc2, that I do not think they will work on that, unless one of them agrees with you.

Changing the texture for a mob takes waaaay longer than 10 minutes. For the egg I agree that we could literally open the file in an image editor and just slide the hue to brown, but if someone is being this nitpicky about something so tiny I doubt that will satisfy them. If there are a bunch of little things with the textures that bother you, I suggest you go and create a resource pack.

I'm sorry if you were offended. I'm not trying to be nitpicky and I would be glad for any change. I'm not hard to please. Just making a little suggestion. I kinda of tacked on the changing-the-hen skin as an afterthought and the main subject of this suggestion was meant to be the eggs. Thank you very much for the consideration, though.

Was talking about the egg texture, It really would be easy to change, but like I said even if I see the merits of the suggestion I have to agree that most of us are used to the chicken white egg, not sure if it needs a change.

All this comes down to personal taste. This is why there are resource packs.

Actually, the eggs SHOULD be white. We are assuming that the player is the first human, and as such chickens have not been selectively breed for thousands of years for different qualities. The original chickens were Jungle Fowl, and that is what I am assuming the chickens are modeling, especially by the male texture. If you actually look at jungle fowl eggs, they are white. They actually strongly resemble the MineCraft textured eggs, so the texture is the best for the time period being imitated.

True a majority of breeds do not lay white eggs, but none of said breeds had been developed at the start of the stone age, where the player starts.

The jungle fowl eggs are actually tinted. They may appear white, but they have an ever so slight brown hue. They aren't snow-white. I thought that the chickens would be imitating jungle fowl, but the hen texture clearly does not.

The jungle fowl eggs are actually tinted. They may appear white, but they have an ever so slight brown hue. They aren't snow-white. I thought that the chickens would be imitating jungle fowl, but the hen texture clearly does not.

True, but Minecraft eggs are not snow-white either, unless I'm grossly forgetting things now. They are what we here call "бежевый", - lightly yellowish-brown tinted.

In cartoons/animations/games/etc, eggs are generally depicted in white. And some of the eggs in real life are actually white anyway, so it's not a "wrong" color.

True, but Minecraft eggs are not snow-white either, unless I'm grossly forgetting things now. They are what we here call "бежевый", - lightly yellowish-brown tinted.

The vanilla minecraft eggs are actually tinted, like you said. The TFC eggs could be improved by being made to look more like the vanilla eggs. Edited by anonymous conservative

The vanilla minecraft eggs are actually tinted, like you said. The TFC eggs could be improved by being made to look more like the vanilla eggs.

The TFC eggs are using the vanilla texture, we really can't make them more like vanilla than that.

Posted Image

Excellent we can mark this as resolved.