Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Maga

Archery Overhaul

60 posts in this topic

Yeah! Like chickens could shed feathers maybe

I'm guessing you don't know that you can get feathers from chickens and pheasants without killing them?

I'm guessing you don't know that you can get feathers from chickens and pheasants without killing them?

Oh i know that but without the risk of killing them by plucking feathers

Ive always felt that with the tool and crafting system that bows deserve a little love and attention and they kinda undermine the effort required to make a sword, if youve spent hours mastering smithing to finaly make a bronze sword or javelin and your freind comes along and jams together three sticks and 3 string and gets a bow to kill you with its hardly fair, and its hardly believable . I feel that for a start a change the recipie for a standard bow should be added, you could easily adapt the smithing mechanic to work for bows, maybe just put a knife on a log and it makes a bow work bench, in this you have to have a knife and an axe (kinda like the stone anvil) and you place in logs to make a bow limb using a simular api to the smithing... The bow limb could then be soaked in water for an hour and then heat treated on a fire. The bow string could also be made out of 3 string and that should be pretreated in a barrel of water. This is not only more realistic but more belivable, i doubt anyone could make a leathal weapon from a bit of twine and some twigs. This would also open up a whole opertunity for a tier system for bows eg short bow - normal bow- long bow - composite bow (limbs made from 2or more types of wood and some binding) and Maybe even a crossbow (you could use black steel in the recipie to balance it a little more) smithing arrow heads would also be something to consider or at least using knaping to make stone arrow heads as a replacement for stones in the arrow recipie. anyway to conclude this please change bows because the current method of crafting realy doesnt fit with the mod, many thanks- aperturewarrior

Breaks Rule #1. Please let me know if you'd like me to merge this with Better Archery thread or just lock this.

My apologies i didn't see better archery, its rather hard to use the forums on a phone sometimes. go ahead though im not sure what that post is regarding im more bothered about the crafting mechanic for the bow so its not breaking the rule if better archery is about the actual fighting mechanic(its 3 am i cant find the post so I've not read it) however if you feel it is necessary il respect your decision and you can merge them

Thanks

This may come under the heading of 'firearms', but I'm not so sure.

This could be a more powerful version of the bow, more effective in hunting. A crafting diagram: S=string, P=plank

PPP

SPS

P

This could enable the player to cock the bow, then keep it cocked for later use. It could be more powerful than the bow, possibly using a different recipe for 'crossbow bolts'.

POSTEDIT: This post was merged from a seperate thread into this one. -Hubertus

This was the topic linked to to discuss these things, so uh...

I love this idea. I used to be into archery, and recently experimented a bit with making functional arrowheads and have been thinking about getting back into it, so it goes without saying that I'd like to see this more fleshed out.For some reason, when I first began shooting, my aim was absolutely perfect but progressively got worse, going right in line with the intended target but either over or under it...so I'll try not to speak on skill too much. But for the crafting...

Personally, I don't think staves should be added, because it seems like inflation of items when other items can be 'believably' used in their place, such as sticks or logs, or in the case of sugarcane, the actual cane item, but I really like the sentiment of adding a process, much like tools, weapons and nearly everything else in the game has. Knapping stone into basic arrowheads and attatching them to imperfect sticks, working your way up to metal arrowheads and shafts carved from quality wood as time goes on. Starting out making basic, flimsy bows using rudimentary materials like sticks and string, making bows of improved quality with better materials like carved logs, sinew bowstrings, ect.

I'd like to think that the default bow/arrows could be powered down a lot and used as the basics, with other bows/arrows eventually reaching the current level of power or farther. The first benefit that comes to mind is that higher-quality bows can be used to apply more force without breaking them, flying straight farther and hitting harder. Of course, there's durability, as well.Holding the bow steady was mentioned, but personally, I've never had a problem with it; if your strength/focus is sufficient, it mostly comes down to whether or not you can judge the force/angle required for the desired distance. Unless, of course, you hit your arm with the bowstring. I advise not doing that.

Edited by Pyr0mrcow

Such a great idea! Although I spotted a little problem with it, that is, realistically, crafting a bow doesn't make you a great bowman. The idea you present us tells us that if you craft a bow you gain marksman skill. So if I were to craft 100 bows without ever shooting one and given the fact that crafting gives you so much experience, when I would finally shoot one I would be very good at it, which is not really realistic. I think Crafting and Shooting should be completely different skills.

Edited by Zulluh

This idea has me dying to have all of this awesome content as soon as possible, hope your idea is used in TFC!

Yeah one of the things thaht I think would make a difference as bows are very OP even in real life allowing you to kill your prey or opponent with one shot at a distance, would be to remove the cross-hairs and increasing the curvature, so it would require training to be really proficient with a bow.